Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Old 05-04-2020, 07:28 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow! Just wow!
Old 05-04-2020, 12:13 PM
V35BFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Vince, will you be adding heat to your pitot tube in case the Bonanza runs into icing conditions?
Just fyi....I used chrome paint. Almost looks like chrome plating

Old 05-04-2020, 01:19 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vince, it would be neat if you have a telemetry system for this airplane. You could record airspeed, altitude etc I know there are some types out there but expensive when you get all the electronics together.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:18 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that there's a proper pitot tube, is it also going to get a pitot tube cover with a red "Remove Before Flight" ribbon?... and maybe cowl plugs?... and wheel chocks?... and... LOL

But seriously, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:43 AM
VincentJ

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjohnston View Post
Vince, it would be neat if you have a telemetry system for this airplane. You could record airspeed, altitude etc I know there are some types out there but expensive when you get all the electronics together.
The receiver that I bought (Spektrum AR12310T) is a 12 channel receiver with integrated full-range telemetry!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:47 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by airsteve172 View Post
Now that there's a proper pitot tube, is it also going to get a pitot tube cover with a red "Remove Before Flight" ribbon?... and maybe cowl plugs?... and wheel chocks?... and... LOL

But seriously, BEAUTIFUL!!!
Thank you Steve, funny you mention the red "Remove Before Flight" ribbon, as I am making one!

Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 AM
VincentJ

One of the last few wing details left to make is a wing stall warning indicator mounted on the left wing, close to the pitot tube. The cover plate was made from .010" aluminum sheet stock.

I'm showing you this photo because don't think that once you develop a plan to make something in your head and try to make it that you will be successful on your first attempt. My plan of attack evolved until I was happy with the results...

With the cover plate installed I can now remove it and cut out the area beneath for the switch lever.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 PM
VincentJ

Old 05-06-2020, 04:57 PM
airsteve172

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ View Post
Thank you Steve, funny you mention the red "Remove Before Flight" ribbon, as I am making one!

I've heard it said that great minds think alike. Apparently the same applies to maniacs who strive for authentic detailing in a model airplane! LOL
Old 05-14-2020, 09:37 AM
VincentJ

Late last night I received a much awaited package, my exhaust! Having a custom exhaust made for this project proved to be a very formidable task which all started about four months ago. If you remember, I designed and made a wooden exhaust for this project. The exhaust system was about as complex as it comes, the success of this project relied on an exhaust that would mate to my DLE-20RA and fit in the restricted space of the engine compartment.. I contacted JTEC Radiowave and they agreed to fabricate it. I have to be honest, right from the start communication between between JTEC and myself wasn't good. It always felt as though I was bothering them every time I tried to communicate with them. After more than two months I received my first exhaust from them, but it wasn't usable because it didn't fit properly. The exhaust was boxed and sent back. I received their second attempt after another month. The second exhaust wasn't much better...I was discouraged and it was evident that they were unable to fabricate what this project needed. I was now in trouble.

After a lot of researching, I contacted Dan Galardo from Custom Pipes RC. As soon as Dan and I talked I knew that he was the right person for this job. Communication between Dan and I was excellent. There were many nights when Dan and I would talk, I never felt that I was bothering him. Dan was brave enough to take on the job, even during this Covid-19 crisis! In about a months time Dan's box was sitting on my doorstep. The following pictures are a few snapshots he took while fabricating this exhaust. He made it from stainless steel rather than from aluminum. The stainless would provide more strength and I needed additional weight up front so it was the perfect solution. The muffler box was machined from billet stainless to perfection.

Thank you Dan for all the time and effort that you put forth in this project. The exhaust fits perfectly! I know that I have made a new friend... https://www.custompipesrc.com/

Last edited by VincentJ; 05-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:44 AM
VincentJ

The following users liked this post:
TeseractLabs (05-14-2020)
Old 05-14-2020, 10:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

The sheer size of the box should help with cooling too. He did a fantastic job!
Old 05-14-2020, 10:02 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice, sorry about Jtec. I posted about a bad experience I had with them and people tried to jump on me like I was in the wrong. I tried to square things up with Jtec but they did not offer to solve the issue on their end. I am happy you got a working exhaust. Once again loving the work you are putting into this.
Old 05-14-2020, 12:24 PM
FlyerInOKC

I think Jtec is like a lot of the old companies new owner/management come in and they turn away from the old ways of doing things. They are just another casualty to time.
Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 PM
panhandler

It was a pleasure working with you Vince we make a good team. I am very pleased with the outcome.Can't wait to see your build completed.
Dan
Old 05-14-2020, 03:49 PM
V35BFLYER

I've got no axe to grind here nor am I "jumping" down any preceding poster's throats except for, in my opinion,
a most ignorant comment from Mike in OKC. Are ANY of you aware of the fact that Al Young has undergone
back surgery? And that Jtec Radiowave has had the following, front and center, on their website for several
months? See below.

Even with Al's down time, his son took two orders from me in March for custom made mufflers, drew up detailed
drawings, emailed them to me for revisions, then over the course of about three weeks they were made to my
exact specs, I presume by Al Young himself, and mailed out on time and as promised. One of the two mufflers
had to be sent back for a minor correction and Al emailed me to say that it would be "turned around the same
day I receive it." And it was. That to me is excellent service from a small business owner.

All of the above to say......in this case, let's give this man a break. I believe he most likely runs a small business and
with his medical issue(s), let's all try to be a little more understanding, especially with those who cater to our hobby.
And those of you who've never owned your own business, or know ALL the facts, kindly refrain from your disparaging
opinions.

"The JTEC Radiowave front office will be operating remotely over the next several weeks due to Al having
back surgery. We ask all contact be made via email at [email protected] so we can respond to your orders
or questions in a timely manner. During this time we will our best to continue production & shipping as
usual. For all airplane orders please contact us before placing your order."
Old 05-14-2020, 05:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

All I am saying I have heard similar stories about other companies. Unfortunately a lot of the guys like Al end up being forced to pass the torch for whatever reason or are trying to hang on but age, health, life in general keeps them performing at their best. I based my comment on what I knew from other situations and at no time did I say I knew what was happening with Jtec. As someone who has had back surgery Al has one tough road ahead. I hope for his sake his recovery is an easy one but it will limit what his business can do.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-15-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Dennisestuardo

Vincent
Great building skills amazing detail.
i recall you said you where not using the interior kit that you have for this bonanza. if that is the case would you sell it? im iterested

thanks and Congrats on this built
Old 05-15-2020, 02:04 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by V35BFLYER View Post
I've got no axe to grind here nor am I "jumping" down any preceding poster's throats except for, in my opinion,
a most ignorant comment from Mike in OKC. Are ANY of you aware of the fact that Al Young has undergone
back surgery? And that Jtec Radiowave has had the following, front and center, on their website for several
months? See below.

Even with Al's down time, his son took two orders from me in March for custom made mufflers, drew up detailed
drawings, emailed them to me for revisions, then over the course of about three weeks they were made to my
exact specs, I presume by Al Young himself, and mailed out on time and as promised. One of the two mufflers
had to be sent back for a minor correction and Al emailed me to say that it would be "turned around the same
day I receive it." And it was. That to me is excellent service from a small business owner.

All of the above to say......in this case, let's give this man a break. I believe he most likely runs a small business and
with his medical issue(s), let's all try to be a little more understanding, especially with those who cater to our hobby.
And those of you who've never owned your own business, or know ALL the facts, kindly refrain from your disparaging
opinions.

"The JTEC Radiowave front office will be operating remotely over the next several weeks due to Al having
back surgery. We ask all contact be made via email at [email protected] so we can respond to your orders
or questions in a timely manner. During this time we will our best to continue production & shipping as
usual. For all airplane orders please contact us before placing your order."
Yes. I was aware of Al's back surgery. The first attempt at fabricating my muffler was before his surgery. The second attempt was after his surgery. Bottom line here, I didn't like how I was treated as a (repeat) customer. I was patient, never rushing them or giving them a deadline. Every attempt to communicate left me bewildered and frustrated. I have used them to make several "stock" mufflers in the past and have been very happy with the product that they made, which is why I went to them in the first place. I am not trying to bash them in any way, but what I have described here is factual and truthful. Not every customer in business' are treated the same, we all know of instances where one customer was treated well, happy with the service provided while another had a totally different experience. My partner knows of the ongoing ordeal that I went through as I shared all of the written and oral communications with him. My wish for Al is a full and speedy recovery and that his business prosper in the future...but he has lost me and my future business.

Last edited by VincentJ; 05-15-2020 at 11:07 AM.
rowdog_14 (05-20-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 04:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

And you have a legitimate beef. Pass performance and good will is not a license to treat any customer shabbily. I think Al may at the point he needs to cut back or eliminate the custom stuff and stick with his stock items until he is well enough to function at his old level. Its hard for a guy like Al to slow down but he needs to listen to his body.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-15-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:41 AM
VincentJ

Now that I have the exhaust, I can ensure that the pipes will exit the fuselage in the exact position.

The following 3 users liked this post by VincentJ:
BankYank (05-23-2020), rowdog_14 (05-20-2020), TeseractLabs (05-18-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:33 PM
VincentJ

It's been such a long time since I've worked on the fuselage portion of this project that I had forgotten what and how I was planning on doing for the steerable nose wheel and throttle! The forward and aft servo rails are where both servos will be placed.

The nose steering pull-pull servo tray was fabricated. Like all of my other servos, my preferred method to secure it is using four 2-56 x 1/2" cap head bolts.

The back side of the servo tray. Note how all of the blind nuts have been epoxied in place. This tray will fit in between the forward and aft servo rails.

In place, the servo tray can slide on the rails until the exact location is found, at which point it will be epoxied in place.

Last edited by VincentJ; 05-19-2020 at 12:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VincentJ:
rowdog_14 (05-20-2020), TeseractLabs (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 03:14 PM
FlyerInOKC

Nice servos!
Old 05-20-2020, 10:07 AM
VincentJ

There's a reason why you've never seen a gas engine in a Bonanza, the whole process if fraught with obstacles and resistance. It's a good thing that I'm stubborn! I felt pretty creative and inventive today, I hope that it pays off...🤞

Today I spent quite a bit of time deciding whether to start setting up the throttle or the pull-pull system for the steerable nose wheel. Deciding that the nose gear needed precedence over the throttle, that's where I began. Note one of two ball links that I installed on the steering arm. The ball links will serve as a means to connect the ends of the steel pull-pull cables.

I dug into some of my inventory and had a couple of these that I used for the ball links.

The plastic socket was discarded and not used.

Next was to figure out how to link the pull-pull cables to the servo arm. Again, I dipped into my stock and got a little resourceful. I decided on using two of these pushrod connectors. The hole in the connector isn't threaded so I tapped the hole using a 4-40 tap

I think you can see where I'm going with this. Each cable can be adjusted from here.

I installed the plastic guide tubes that each steel cable will run though and epoxied them into position. Once dry, I'll be able to make up the cables and see if this works!!!

TeseractLabs (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 10:33 AM
Bobcat53

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Vince,
everything looking really good, being at this stage in the build seems a world away for me but...baby steps! I have got to the stage of glassing the fuse and I have to admit, your method rocks...i am definitely a convert. On the subject of you fitting the gasser, I came across a guy on the TF group (facebook) who has fitted the OS GGT15 to his bonnie, he reckons it's a good fit in the cowl. Gas engine that uses a glow plug apparently. Thought you might be interested.
Keep it coming Vince, I look forward to every instalment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.