Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Old 02-14-2021, 02:03 PM
VincentJ

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Free Bird View Post
Vince,
Can you share your secret on how to shrink full-scale planes? Your build is absolutely stunning! Being I’m in the northeast, I hope that I can see your plane in person. Perhaps I can plan a visit in the spring.

Rick
Thanks Rick for the praise. You're only a hop skip and a jump away from NH, it would be fun! I lived in Trumbull, Ct. before I settled in NH about 30 years ago.

Don't know if I have any secrets to share other than to have a ton of documentation before you start project. Pictures along with dimensions go a long way to recreating scale detail. I tried different avenues to get the information that I needed such as eBay and using the internet. I don't have a lot of fancy tools or equipment, but I am determined and not afraid of spending a lot of time in the workshop...

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-15-2021 at 04:02 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:06 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by V35BFLYER View Post
If you could get your hands on one of these.....3-blade 16-8 Graupner, how cool would that be?
What 2-blade you plan on using? Xoar, APC, Falcon? Just curious....
I like to use Falcon or Mejzlik props when I can...

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-15-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:25 AM
VincentJ

A friend once asked me if I knew how to eat an elephant, with a blank look on my face he quickly responded back "one bite at a time". I smiled and have never forgotten that nugget of wisdom. This Bonanza is a lot like that elephant, it is a large monumental task which can only get completed one task at a time...Today's task was to get those flaps which have been sitting patiently installed. Hmmmm, roasted elephant....

***Disclaimer*** No elephants were hurt or eaten during the writing of this post !

Having gotten both ailerons working yesterday, today I was determined to get the flaps installed and working.

Everything was cleaned and dry fit before any epoxy was mixed. Once satisfied that everything was in order, they were both permanently installed.

This Bonanza sure has a lot of wires everywhere!

I don't know what happened, but my work bench was perfectly clean a few hours ago. That means it was a good productive build session...

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-16-2021 at 08:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
capt1597 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 08:59 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 88 Likes on 83 Posts

Clutter workbench work being done! Empty workbench you're slacking off!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:10 AM
VincentJ

The wing was installed to the fuse to check for fit. I allowed for the thickness of the paint, but apparently I still need to remove 1/32" from the aft center section of the fuselage to make the wing slip on and off easier. The gap on the trailing edge of the wing will all but disappear once the wing bolts are tightened. I don't want to be struggling at the field trying to get the wing on, so with just a minor adjustment it should be fine. I am also taking the opportunity to lay out exactly where the black textured wing walk paint needs to be applied.

If you're wondering as to why I haven't installed the cargo door to its hinges, someone left the cargo door home so the small strip of rust color never got applied! it will have to wait until I mix more of that color to spray the wing tips...

d

d

d

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-16-2021 at 11:17 AM.
capt1597 (02-16-2021)
Old 02-16-2021, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

Man that is one great looking airplane!
Old 02-16-2021, 01:53 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Man that is one great looking airplane!
Thank you Mike!
Old 02-16-2021, 05:38 PM
Tequesta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hmmmm, roasted elephant....

***Disclaimer*** No elephants were hurt or eaten during the writing of this post !
The words "this post" makes me wonder.
What a beautiful plane.

John
Old 02-17-2021, 05:29 AM
FlyerInOKC

Nothing to worry about there is no zoo in Peterborough, NH and all the circuses are in winter quarters father south.
Old 02-17-2021, 05:42 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC View Post
Nothing to worry about there is no zoo in Peterborough, NH and all the circuses are in winter quarters father south.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:06 PM
scottrc

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang Vincent,
The finish is fantastic. By looking at the close up photos of the control surfaces, I can almost get the feeling of lacquer painted aluminum as they are grabbed and tested during a pre-flight. And the hinged cowl looks like its ready to be lifted so the oil can be checked. Very realistic.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:31 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by scottrc View Post
Dang Vincent,
The finish is fantastic. By looking at the close up photos of the control surfaces, I can almost get the feeling of lacquer painted aluminum as they are grabbed and tested during a pre-flight. And the hinged cowl looks like its ready to be lifted so the oil can be checked. Very realistic.
Thanks Scott! The sum of the individual parts are finally being assembled to make a Bonanza, it was worth the effort and wait...
Old 02-17-2021, 07:06 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Say Vincent, you need a few of the Hanson connectors for your wing wiring.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Tony, I could be wrong but that one connector might work better if it had wires going to a receiver.

Sarcasm, all part of the service!
Old 02-18-2021, 05:09 PM
Tony Hallo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Must have too much show there driving you crazy!!! I had two ailerons servos, two flap servos and the wing tip lights hooked up on one plug and it locked on top of all that!. Keep warm and be safe.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:58 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by Tony Hallo View Post
Say Vincent, you need a few of the Hanson connectors for your wing wiring.
​​​​​​Tony I have one , and I plan on using it!
Old 02-19-2021, 08:22 AM
VincentJ

Fuel tank has been assembled and installed. I'm using a 12 ounce 4titude gas tank which combined with the DLE-20 engine should give me about a 12 minute flying window. The clunk's fuel line that came with the tank was scrapped and replaced with the yellow fuel line manufactured by Sullivan ProFlex. I have been running this line now for three seasons and haven't had to replace hardened fuel lines that one would encounter using Tygon.

Pro-Flex line comes in two sizes, Standard and Large. I'm using the Large 3/16" which is perfect for gas engine applications. It can be purchased in a 2' roll or 10' roll. I ran the fill fuel line parallel to the side of the fuselage being careful to anchor them in place with rubber grommets along the way.

After much thought about receiver placement, a mount was fabricated and glued into place. I chose this location for a variety of reasons.

This location will allow me future access to the wire connections should I need to. As large as the inside of the Bonanza is, it is very tight on space as the interior is taken up with the cabin features. I will have to be creative on hiding wires!
capt1597 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:14 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VJ,
I still say you shrunk a full-scale plane!

Rick
Old 02-19-2021, 09:24 AM
Free Bird

VJ,
2-3 weeks ago, I was watching a video of a V-Tail. There was a camera mounted on the left wing tip and one on the right rear of the fuselage looking forward. A very interesting feature of the plane was the foot step on the right, it retracted into the fuselage when the gear was retracted. And of course it extended when the gear went down. It retracted straight into the fuselage at the same angle as it was mounted. Almost like a rack and pinion system. Do you know if this was common on Bonanza’s?

Rick
Old 02-19-2021, 11:01 AM
VincentJ

VJ,
2-3 weeks ago, I was watching a video of a V-Tail. There was a camera mounted on the left wing tip and one on the right rear of the fuselage looking forward. A very interesting feature of the plane was the foot step on the right, it retracted into the fuselage when the gear was retracted. And of course it extended when the gear went down. It retracted straight into the fuselage at the same angle as it was mounted. Almost like a rack and pinion system. Do you know if this was common on Bonanza’s?

Rick
I'll had to do some research on that feature Rick. Cool feature that I wasn't aware of. The 1960 model year was the last of the Bonanza's offered with the retractable step, later models had a fixed step. Pilots claimed a 2 knot increase in airspeed with the step retracted!

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-19-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-19-2021, 12:51 PM
Free Bird

I found the video I saw the retractable step. It’s on you tube, search for “N5321E”. It should be the very first video. It shows the step in action very clearly.

Rick
Old 02-20-2021, 02:28 AM
VincentJ

VJ,
I still say you shrunk a full-scale plane!

Rick

This is how I did it, I used a Shrink Ray Gun.

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-20-2021 at 03:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:47 AM
VincentJ

I'm starting to sort out the tangled mess of wires. I'm using two 2200 mAh LiFe batteries for all the servos and ignition, navigational lights will have its own battery. It is obvious that I will need to make up two battery extensions to connect the batteries to the receiver.

The placement of these batteries was a compromise of many different factors. I know that I wanted to keep them as far forward as possible for CG purposes and I need the batteries to be in a location where they can be easily serviced and charged. Not an easy task when space is very limited...

Note the Ultra IBEC (mounted on right) from Tech-Aero Designs. This eliminates the need for a separate ignition battery and mechanical on/off switch. Using a designated channel of your choice on your transmitter, the ignition can be shut off with the flick of a switch. I've been using these on all my gas planes with 100% reliability.

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-21-2021 at 02:21 AM.
capt1597 (02-20-2021)
Old 02-20-2021, 11:40 AM
VincentJ

The distance between the receiver and battery required two four inch extensions to be fabricated. I wish battery manufacturers sold their batteries with leads 12 or more inches long, without any terminal ends soldered in place. This would allow the installer to fabricate their own custom length leads, eliminating the need for extensions!

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-21-2021 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:51 PM
VincentJ

Top view of the wiring harness. Everything from this view will be covered over by the bottom of the cabin interior making anything inaccessible. Note: All the tape on each wire will be replaced with tape from a label maker.

Bottom view. Everything from the bottom will be visible and accessible with the wing removed. Note the Navigational Lights battery placement between the servos. This battery will be charged through the baggage door, but the balance plug will only be accessible from the bottom.

This is a 1450 mAh Spektrum LiFe battery. I prefer to use LiFe batteries rather than LiPo's. These batteries need not be removed to charge, unlike LiPo's. It's secured in place with hook and loop tape.

Again, everything must be accessible from the bottom. The box tucked behind the battery is the programmer for the navigational lights. The four wires passing through F5 is where the connections will be made for the wing tip lights.

I do have access to change the programing of the lights by pressing the "set" button.

Work on the cabin interior is well under way. All four seats have been assembled, but only the two front seats have been primed. The two seats in the rear still have a lot of sanding/filling before primer is sprayed. The final color(s) of the seat are still yet TBD.

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-24-2021 at 03:12 PM.
capt1597 (02-25-2021)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.