Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Waco Classic

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Waco Classic

Old 06-29-2019, 02:02 PM
David.R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Waco Classic

Hi All
I have just started to build a 72" Great Planes Waco Classic.
Looks impressive but the tail plane servos are mounted under the cross member for the wing attach bolts.
You cannot get a drill in the right location to mount the servos, or a screw driver to tighten them if you could.
Any one faced this problem, is there a good solution. Cannot move either the servos or the cross member.

David.R
Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

1. will probably get more answers in either the general airplane electric or airplane fuel forum than you will here in the forum software/operational problems section.

2. if it has to be moved, it can be moved.
ya just gotta be willing to put in the effort.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:13 PM
David.R

Thanks Mongo
Another question as I don't use the site often.
I posted on " Forums/RC universe support/Forum questions or problems."
For future reference do you know why it is in " software/operational problems section "

I can see how to fix it but I was hoping for a few suggestions that might be simpler. I normally do scratch build so I am accustomed to "make it work"
Pity a company like GP sell a product with such a boner or do they do it to add a challenge to building and keep the standard required to build up.

regards
David.R
Old 06-30-2019, 03:03 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

the grouping "RC Universe support"
is for reporting/complaining/and other things relating to the operation of the forums themselves.
yeah, RC Universe support could be better described...

Kit Building - RCU Forums
Electric General Discussion - RCU Forums

couple of places to start
Old 07-02-2019, 04:15 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

Moved thread to appropriate forum
Old 07-02-2019, 04:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts

I'm not familiar with that kit but a pin vice drill and RTL Fasteners servo screws with a ball driver both come to mind.

I chuck all phillips servo screws and replace them with RTL servo screws on every build in any case.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:50 AM
PedroM

Originally Posted by David.R
Hi All
I have just started to build a 72" Great Planes Waco Classic.
Looks impressive but the tail plane servos are mounted under the cross member for the wing attach bolts.
You cannot get a drill in the right location to mount the servos, or a screw driver to tighten them if you could.
Any one faced this problem, is there a good solution. Cannot move either the servos or the cross member.

David.R
Hello David
I'm also building the same plane/kit

Have a look on these two forums, you will find a lot of answers and support. I posted a couple of questions recently (couple of months ago) and, belive me, the forums are still active and I got answers straight away!!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...6-gp-waco.html

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Stroke-Review
Old 09-28-2019, 09:58 AM
PedroM

Originally Posted by David.R

David.R
Another point is about what engine are you planning to use.

My original plan was to go for a DLE 30, as recommended, or a DLE 35 which is available now.

However, after reading these forums, I decided to go for the DLE 20 which seems to have plenty of power for this plane and fits much better inside the cowl.

In the second forum I mentioned the link above, which is in fact a review of the airplane build, there are a couple of videos with it flying with the DLE 20. I got convinced there!

I really recommend to read at least these two forums!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Stroke-Review

Cheers
Old 09-30-2019, 11:26 AM
David.R

Hi PedroM
Thanks for the info, I looked at the link you provided and seems the his solution was to put the screws in on an angle as I could not see how to drill the holes vertical.
I actually went the whole hog and modified the cross member.and mounting
i removed it, remade it and added an extra layer to it to ensure it was rigid. I then added extra side doublers to the fuselage sides to take the load.
The cross member now fits snugly into slots on the sides and thrusts against the side members and doublerswith two small screws to keep it located when the wing is removed.
I was a little concerned that the cross member provided lateral strength between the fuselage sides but it did not take a lot to remove so I am sure it has not significantly changed the structural strength and is close to the bulkhead behind that is certainly rigid..

Interesting about the engine, unfortunately I don't have a 20cc and have already installed the 35cc DLE. As it is a rear exhaust it did not require a lot of damage to to the cowl.
I am yet to fly it but it looks good.

regards
David.R