Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Resurrection of Super Sportster 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Resurrection of Super Sportster 40

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 07:24 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

We are close to the ocean.

They call this area the "Lowcountry". This is the entrance to the field
Old 08-09-2019, 07:41 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi David, Hope your Sportster project goes well. I had the Sportster Bipe back in the 1990's. The last time I was in Elk City (also in the 90's) I think the field was a pasture behind a church on the edge of town. Your current field looks much nicer. I learned to fly at W'ford when I was in college back in the 80's.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:26 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Great to reconnect! Yes our old field was behind the Catholic Church. When a new sanctuary was built we were too close and decided to move. Our new field is on city land and it has been great. Bob Chatigny and David Cole still fly at Weaterford. Dean Humphryes is in the OKC area. Gerry Weltzhymer is still around but I think he quit flying. He lost his favorite plane at our new field about 8 years ago. haven't kept in touch. Ron Penner was retired in AZ last I heard. I bought my 1st Super Sportster from a guy getting at Weatherford. He worked at 3M over there. Can't recall his name. It was in the bones and I got a new COMO .60 with it. Flew it many years after finishing until it was lost in a mid air.

The picture is a few years old. Bob has since lost his friend in the yellow and I lost mine on the far right

Beautiful area Lee. I'm jealous.

David
Old 08-09-2019, 09:57 AM
Lee Taylor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam
David
I fell in love with the area in the late 90's. Decided to live here regardless of what the future holds. LOTS of early architecture here brought over from England. Two LARGE working deep south plantations. From back in the day. Still functional. Never shut down. Dance halls here where they claim George Washington danced with the ladies. The house still exist where the claim old George slept. Lots of "dyed in the wool" Southern American descendants here.

I am happy here. I will build and fly R/C here
Old 08-10-2019, 06:51 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by daveopam
Great to reconnect! Yes our old field was behind the Catholic Church. When a new sanctuary was built we were too close and decided to move. Our new field is on city land and it has been great. Bob Chatigny and David Cole still fly at Weaterford. Dean Humphryes is in the OKC area. Gerry Weltzhymer is still around but I think he quit flying. He lost his favorite plane at our new field about 8 years ago. haven't kept in touch. Ron Penner was retired in AZ last I heard. I bought my 1st Super Sportster from a guy getting at Weatherford. He worked at 3M over there. Can't recall his name. It was in the bones and I got a new COMO .60 with it. Flew it many years after finishing until it was lost in a mid air.

The picture is a few years old. Bob has since lost his friend in the yellow and I lost mine on the far right

David
Wow,! I do remember Bob Chatigny and Ron Penner. I doubt they would remember me as I was just a college kid who was around for a couple of years and I usually went home to Snyder to work on the farm through the summers. At the time Weatherford actually had two hobby suppliers. There was an actual hobby shop that held on until that particular oil boom cratered and the local hardware store had a Sig franchise. I recall the hardware store owner as a nice guy ( he helped me order a seat for my unicycle) but his fire kind of went out after his wife passed away. Glad to see that the club is doing well. the club I fly with in Wichta Falls also flies off of a field in one of the city parks.