Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

El Bandito by Ted white CG

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

El Bandito by Ted white CG

Old 12-12-2019, 07:08 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default El Bandito by Ted white CG

I got this airplane some time ago, I'm just about done with the refurbish ( have to work on the wing now ) and would like to ask if any one has an idea where the CG location is, I have a way to calculate the 30% position if I have to but I want to try RCU first.

It came with an OS Max 60 and a Mack pipe, turning a 11/7, I converted it from tricycle to tail wheel to eliminate a lot of dead weight it had on the nose and the tail, removed the servo tray and build a new one, the landing gear came from BTE models ( Venture ) the original metal gear weights twice as the new one, and painted the new gear black, added Robart 2 3/4 scale wheels ( had them ) clean the engine, pipe, heather, new APC prop, I think I easily removed nearly a pound off of it, may add the dual Aileron servo, but for now, I will fly it with the one it has on the wing.

Tks.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:22 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see Ted White's name and plane. He was the best model airplane pilot I have ever seen. I flew a little follow the leader with him in Ohio at a pattern contest in the 70's. I had to drop out when he flew behind a big maple tree about 750 feet from the flight line. Ralph White (No relation).
Old 12-12-2019, 09:31 PM
CARS II

Had no Idea, he also designed El gringo, low wing, fast looking airplane.

Old 12-13-2019, 03:39 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by CARS II View Post
Had no Idea, he also designed El gringo, low wing, fast looking airplane.
Oh the memories! I built the El Gringo from RCM plans back in the 70's. Mine was the same color scheme as the photo above on conventional gear w/retracts.That was a 40 sized plane and I no longer remember what I had for power but used mostly K&B or OS in those days. I believe there were also plans for a 60 sized version. Loved that plane! It flew as well as any pattern plane I had from that time period and it looked much like a P-51 in flight. One of those planes today with a modern 46 - 55 would be a rocketship. Good times!

Regarding the El Bandito cg, I would think the standard cg calculations would be fine for first flights and fine tune from there.

Last edited by Truckracer; 12-13-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 PM
CARS II

Agreed on the standard CG, I suppose I'll start with about 33% CG, since it has a rectangular wing, I'll set the CG over the spar, actually I did that a few hours ago, I used the 1300 mah LIFE bat to bring it to balance by placing the batt juat behind the wing saddle inside the lower part of the fuse.

Last edited by CARS II; 12-13-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:59 PM
CARS II

This airplane is ready to fly, I will get it in the air some time during next week.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:28 PM
CARS II

Engine test run.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:23 PM
CARS II

Maiden is done, all went well, CG is right on, this airplane is just a joy to fly, couldn't be more happier.