Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where do you get your building supplys / Tools

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where do you get your building supplys / Tools

Old 02-28-2020, 08:26 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do you get your building supplys / Tools

So I have been building for some time now, but I just ordered my first true kit, a 2K JW 1/3 Albatross kit. My last kit was a german kit that all the peaces interlocked and even had a big peace of ply with groves to make sure everthing was perfectly straight.

I have seen a few builds on these site where people are using very heavy steel 90 deg peaces to make sure all is straight but I can find were you buy these?

I just ordered some Midwest soft T pins to replace my old school pins,

What is and were did you get your best building tools?
Old 02-28-2020, 10:19 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Like where do I find these 90 deg brackets to help build?
Old 02-28-2020, 02:05 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gee, could you ask an easier question?
Those 90* blocks are sold by Micromark, come in three sizes(1,2 and 3 inch) and are heavy enough to not need to be clamped down
https://www.micromark.com/1-x-1-x-1-Inch-Angle-Plate
I would check out their website and see what all they have and, after that, move on to Rockler's website. Rockler is more of a "woodworker's store" but have many tools that would work well for hobbyists too
https://www.rockler.com/
The following users liked this post:
mikes68charger (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:27 PM
tcrowson

Do a search online for Angle Plate there are a multitude of places that have them. Shars Tool has them a whole lot cheaper than Micro Mark. A machined finish is good enough for our purposes without going for the added expense of a precision ground finish.
Tas
Old 02-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tcrowson View Post
Do a search online for Angle Plate there are a multitude of places that have them. Shars Tool has them a whole lot cheaper than Micro Mark. A machined finish is good enough for our purposes without going for the added expense of a precision ground finish.
Tas
What can I say, I prefer to only buy the best I can find. I've been burned buying cheap tools in the past, won't do so again.