Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Photos of Ikon n'west Stinson being built

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Photos of Ikon n'west Stinson being built

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 10:12 PM
Scotty78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Photos of Ikon n'west Stinson being built

Hello everyone,
Been out of a building for quite sometime now just and just acquired one of these kits. Been reading up on it and looks like ikon n'west kits can be a bit of a handful. so thought I might ask you the legends who were built one if you had some pictures of them while you were building them. I have built 4 or 5 other kits including top-flight giant P-47 and so o,so I do have some skills. Hahah
Old 03-25-2020, 05:09 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Scotty78
Hello everyone,
Been out of a building for quite sometime now just and just acquired one of these kits. Been reading up on it and looks like ikon n'west kits can be a bit of a handful. so thought I might ask you the legends who were built one if you had some pictures of them while you were building them. I have built 4 or 5 other kits including top-flight giant P-47 and so o,so I do have some skills. Hahah
Yes the old Ikon kits can be a challenge but if you stick with it, the results are rewarding. I jokingly use to call it scratch building using parts that came in a box. They were intended for builders who don't require step by step instructions and the manuals give general instructions and hints for each assembly. Don't be afraid to modify something if you don't like the way it was done on the plans. Once you understand Emil's building methods you'll know there is really an airplane somewhere in that box! I still have a D-145 Monocoupe and wouldn't mind building another Ikon kit if I could ever find the one I want. They are getting scarce.
The following users liked this post:
Scotty78 (03-25-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 PM
Scotty78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahah ok. Well at this point in the world longer and harder to build might be a good thing. Keep my mind off the craziness. I have built old Timers and things like that where it was pretty much just the plan and Crushed balsa, you sorta made it up as you went. so hopefully this one won't be too bad. it looks absolutely awesome in bare bones and when finished.

Last edited by Scotty78; 03-25-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

I forgot to mention in my earlier post. The Ikon kits came with a couple of photo pages that shows several of their kits in various stages of completion. While these may not be Stinson photos though I believe some of them were, they show the general methods of construction that Emil used. I found them very helpful building the Monocoupe.
The following users liked this post:
Scotty78 (03-27-2020)