Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobbies Superstar 40 Vertical Tail Rebuild

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobbies Superstar 40 Vertical Tail Rebuild

Old 03-29-2020, 01:29 PM
jboomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbies Superstar 40 Vertical Tail Rebuild

Been out of the hobby for about 15 years now. One plane was destroyed in a move (military), the other had the vertical tail broken off, but otherwise remains intact. Iím looking to rebuild the tail, see if I can get my old .40 FX running, and introduce my 10 yr old son to the hobby. Iíll look to upgrade my gear if he takes to it, but would be out little if he doesnít.

This plane was an ARF, so I doubt thereís any plans available showing its construction, however, Iíd be curious if anyone could share a snapshot of how another aircraftís tail is constructed so I can ensure I get it close.

Some of the original tail is salvageable (basically the top 2/3 is still good), the lower 1/3 is not. Iím interested to see if I could build the bottom using a little sturdier wood and splice into the balsa, but am concerned the splice would act as a hinge, especially the leading edge.

thanks for the help!

Josh
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 AM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be more helpful if you put up a picture of it.

carl
Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 AM
jboomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover View Post
It might be more helpful if you put up a picture of it.

carl

hereís a photo. The question I had was if anyone could provide an example from a kit of how a tail is constructed. Iím curious to know how the pieces join. For example, 1. does the lower horizontal piece extend straight across and the leading edge diagonal butt up against it, or does the diagonal leading edge extend all the way down to the fuselage and the horizontal piece butts up to it. Same question about the trailing edge. 2. How deep into the fuselage does the bottom horizontal piece recess into the fuselage. 3. Can stronger wood be spliced into the remaining pieces without fear of the splices hinging? These questions would be answered in the plans for a kit built plane, I would presume.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:29 PM
carlgrover

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, picture helps a lot. Here's some answers.

1. The diagonal leading edge extends all the way down to the fuse. The lower horizontal piece just butts up against it. You can see in the pic how far the diagnol leading goes on the fuse. If it appears to go further than the diagonal goes, that's because there is an additional piece that glues to the diagonal and helps make the transition to the fuselage look nicer.

2. The bottom horizontal piece extends all the way down to the top of the stab. The fin trailing edge goes down the top of the fuse just behind what's left of the fin.

3. Nope. If you try and splice this you will have a mess. Your best bet to repair this thing is to either dig out the remainder of the fin all the way down to the top of the stab with a chisel the same width as the fin or better yet just cut off the top of the fuse at the front of the stab and start rebuilding from there. You have a good start on your drawing. It does look like you're missing a big chunk of wood that went between what's left of the lower fin stuck in the fuse and what's on the table.

The construction technique here is very generic. I've seen it on lots of plans. Go to outerzone.uk and look over some plans for similar planes. You'll see what I'm talking about. If I were doing this job I would cut off everything sitting on the stab, build a whole new fin and rudder, then work towards properly aligning the fin in place. It will have to be straight on the fuse and square to the stab. After it's glued on, then you can rebuild the top of the fuse around it.

Carl