Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Upgrading a kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Upgrading a kit

Old 08-16-2020, 06:44 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrading a kit

if you build a guillows lancer free rubber band Free flight and later on decide to modify it for electric RC, what would you have to do to it besides installing the motor and electronics and make the rudder and elevator movable? Also how would you install the electronics if the tissue is already covering the whole thing? Would you need to design your own motor mounts? What do you need reinforcements in places? How would you modify the rudder and elevator for RC without mucking them up? Can you use sheets of balsa for the rudder and elevator or is that considered an acceptable for some reason? If you put the front cowling for the rubber band version how would you remove it to install a motor mount for an electric motor?

Last edited by obrien135; 08-16-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

You would need to get into the structure so you would probably want to start by removing part of the tissue, The nose would need to be beefed up to handle the torque and weight of the motor, probably by adding balsa webbing between the stringers, as well as beefing up the wing structure to handle ALL the added weight, which will be considerable. With all that to do, it might be easier to start with a new aircraft kit and make upgrades to it while building. BTW, I didn't even get to the tail feathers
Old 08-16-2020, 08:21 PM
obrien135

Buy balsa webbing do you mean sheets of balsa wood and between the stringers in the front area of the fuselage? How would I beef up the wings? Are these are things I should be figuring out on my own? I'm not sure I understand the science behind it well enough you know what to do. I read a book on model airplane design but I still don't know how to beef up the wings. Do you have anything to say about the tail feathers? If they were already made in the fixed fashion how would I free up the movement on the tail feathers ? Would it be alright to use sheets of balsa to replace the original horizontal and vertical stabilizer assemblies that I can cut to make movable rudder and elevator I would I have to remove the tissue paper and cut the butter and elevator in critical places to free them up and then reapply the paper? Over a happy have to completely rework the tail feathers like originally but was pivoting edges? I guess a lot of this stuff I should figure out on my own I dented the liberator about things a lot before I get into them stuff I can figure out as they go along I'm just curious about what the standard ways of doing things. maybe I should just buy the kid build it as a rubber band model and then figure out the rest of it as I go along I've ever do decide to upgrade to RC which I might not even do drug that might not even fly it at all I have such bad luck flying planes that I might just keep her something to look at I just feel obligated to build a tissue model for some reason I don't know why
Old 08-16-2020, 08:32 PM
Hydro Junkie

To beef up the wings, you would need to install larger stringers or, preferably, a spar that runs between the top and bottom of the wing. The outside frames that make up the wing are not strong enough to handle the weight of batteries, radio gear and speed controllers so it's going to need to have more or heavier structure added. As far as the tail surfaces, yes, you can replace them with solid parts. You will need to cut the rudder and elevators from the fixed surfaces and find some way to hinge them. IF it was my plane, I'd laminate two pieces of balsa together with the grain of the top running one way while the bottom runs across it at 90 degrees. This will make the surfaces stronger.
Talking about radio gear, what do you have or what are you looking at as far as brand? This is a your choice deal, I just know more about Futaba than anything else so...........

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-16-2020 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:37 PM
obrien135

Thank you for that information about how to beef up the wing. In regard to the radio all I have is to ready to fly controllers that came with ready to fly kits. One is for a horizon hobby sport Cub s and the other is for a wltoys f949. I don't have any working receivers but I was thinking of getting one for the f949 because it has the relays I mean the servals built into it and it doesn't have Auto stabilization so I think that means it can be installed at any angle without affecting the flight
Old 08-16-2020, 11:46 PM
Hydro Junkie

The problem with a receiver that has integrated servos is that, if something fails, you have to replace the whole unit. I would go with an actual receiver, two micro- servos and an electronic speed control(ESC) with an integrated battery eliminator circuit(BEC). The other issue with your F949 radio set is it doesn't have the range of a "hobby grade" system. If it were me building this, I'd use the following:
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV6&P=3
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?I=LXH291&P=3
Motor, prop and ESC determined using this information EFLDeterminingPowerRequirement.pdf
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM
obrien135

Thanks for the info it's a little too pricey for me
Old 08-17-2020, 08:48 AM
Hydro Junkie

There are less expensive options, I just put out one that would work for your application. The big thing is you need to keep everything as light as possible or your plane will never get off the ground
Old 08-17-2020, 10:24 AM
perttime

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie View Post
A 21g servo in a small lightweight model? I don't think so.
There's 7 or 8 g servos available at very low cost but those might be on the heavy side for this.

Anyway, I think converting an existing airframe would be quite a project. Better start from scratch. Or get something that was designed for R/C in the first place. If you want small, I quite like the look of the Microaces range of micro foamies: pretty scale WWI models and a micro trainer. https://microaces.myshopify.com/coll...aces-aero-kits

Edit:
you might find some ideas in the Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight and Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers forums here. I see there's a Guillows Chipmunk conversion thread in the Micro forum.

Last edited by perttime; 08-17-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by perttime View Post
you might find some ideas in the Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight and Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers forums here. I see there's a Guillows Chipmunk conversion thread in the Micro forum.
Someone did a conversion on a WWII fighter a few years back as well, don't remember if it was an A6M or Spitfire.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:31 PM
obrien135

Thank you for your info