Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Anybody build kits for money?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Anybody build kits for money?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 11:32 AM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Na

Na

Last edited by obrien135; 09-06-2020 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 AM
mgnostic

Received 84 Likes on 72 Posts

Usually there is no money in it. I've known folks who would finish an ARF for a fee. There are people who will build just for the love of it. But as far as a means of making money there is a reason why ARFs are manufactured overseas by people who are paid the equivalent of .75 cents an hour.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

What was said.
There used to be a local guy who contracted to build jets years ago. His "fee" was that the buyer had to supply everything for 3 complete models. Including "shop supplies", etc. Took him about 6 mos to finish one and send it back. Top Gun level work. At the same time, he built the other two - sold one for as much as he could get, kept the other for his own hangar. The money from the sale went to his wife, for vacations, etc. They took some fabulous trips, but it was not something one could live on.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:37 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Are people actually asking anyone to build an ARF? Really? OK. Well, as far as unassembled kits go, consider also the availability of kit related hardware and building accessories these days. These items have become harder to find. Then you have the fragile finished product. How are you going to ship that big thing and not have UPS smash it? Greyhound? So now you build a crate for it too and add that to the cost.
Most of the early Pica kits were not the kind I would enjoy building. I'm just not at that level of "see this block of wood, shape it into an airplane" kind of a builder. I had a reputable local guy 15 years ago build that Pica Shoofli bi for me. It was a bargain in my mind for $150. 2 weeks later, he dropped it off and it looked amazing. But he said that was the last kit he'll ever build.

How about you just open up a kit / ARF, and attempt it yourself the way the hobby was intended to work (SIG isn't hard) or just get a one of those silly foamies, and call it a day? Or find someone selling a ready to fly "kit built" balsa model for a fraction of the building cost locally on your FB, CL etc ads online? I can't pass one up with the engine and servos thrown in free for the price of a "new" unassembled kit.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:36 PM
obrien135

Default I tried it

I recently built a javelin by guillows and due to a disability that I have it was nearly impossible to build it and it came out terrible but I was able to fly it but I don't want to go through the process again. the reason I wanted to get my hands on another one is because I wanted to try completing an RC conversion and trying to fight as an RC airplane rather than flree flight . what is fb and cL ads?

Last edited by obrien135; 09-14-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:00 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like you're looking for a builder ... and what you're wanting built is a smaller Guillows kit, and have it converted to an RC/electric type of plane, rather then the rubber-powered free-flight that the kit is designed around. Does that sound right?...

Many people might take the title of your post in the sense that, you, yourself are inquiring about building kits for money... just an observation there.

You might do some word-smithing on your inquiry, as what you're wanting isn't all that hard. Some people are probably reading as well, and thinking larger more extensive kits... but if you clarify and link what a Guillows Javelin is, you might get some input, or someone that can take it on, as it's not a large project. I'd consider it, but I'm on the other side of the country from you, and logistics just won't work really, but I think I see what you're after.. just keep trying.

I've built many planes for money over the years, much larger and much more intense then a rubber powered conversion.... there's got to be someone that will do it... be sure to leave a link to that plane in every post you're inquiring... as some might not realize it's no big monster. Good luck with it.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:35 PM
obrien135

Default Thank you

Thanks I appreciate that. Right now the project's on hold because I can't spend any money on it I got rid of the electronics cuz it got damaged I have to start from scratch but thank you for the input I'll take that into consideration in the future thank you very much. I would like to add that I did check Craigslist on eBay if that's what would refer to by CL and FP but as of yet I haven't found anything but it is on hold because of finances but I'm thinking that maybe it would be better if I just got some kind of a three-channel foam airplane and not spend that much money or something that would probably break although I like the way it flew the javelin I mean I bet it would make a real good RC flyer and seeing them flying as RC on YouTube and they seem to be real stable I don't know how to think about it. I would also like to add that the reason the text of the original posting and the title of that deleted is because I thought somehow trying to inquire about doing business on the forum was inappropriate so I tried to delete the whole thing unsuccessfully hopefully they do not break any rules

Last edited by obrien135; 09-15-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:28 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I used to build for money.

Never do that again. Nearly everyone I dealt with tried to stiff me on the money and I wound up hating model airplanes. I went back to building furniture for several years before easing back to airplanes. I could have made more money working at Burger King for a few months than I did building. Would have been much easier work too.

Carl
Old 09-24-2020, 04:04 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

carl, he was looking for a builder, not contemplating for himself. It was a small project he'd wanted someone to possibly build for him.

I hear you about building for money though, I assembled ARF's for quite a few people and even that got to be a daunting task, when I found myself wanting to work on my own projects, but was obligated to work on others. I was approached to build kits several times, but knew I never wanted to go that far. I build kits for me... ha.. and always will.

It was all fine for a few years or more when I was younger, and had more energy, and a nice way to build up some hobby money, but I won't do it again either. I prefer to encourage and coach people, and take the "hands off" approach for the most part.

I still do inspections of new builds and follow progress for several friends, and it's a nice way to give back to the RC community as well.

I hope Mr. Obrien finds a builder though.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:52 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I was injured and out of work for a few years between 2004--2008. I took on kit builds and assembled ARFs for people.

It was never worth it. People came to ME because I had a reputation for being a very good builder and ARF assembler because I was meticulous. They came to me for quality. Then they complained about the price... but not until AFTER it was all done and I handed them the invoicing for all the parts. I bought the entire thing.... kit, engine, servos, hinges.... everything per their order form. Everything per their specs. Then they wanted to haggle on price until I basically built the thing for free.

One screaming match with a local guy and then watching him stomp on a brand new airplane I had just built for him was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I desperately wish I could relay a different story. I just build for me now.