Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sand paper Grits??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sand paper Grits??

Old 10-11-2020, 09:40 AM
slindsay

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sand paper Grits??

I'm interested is the main sand paper grits you use during the building process form shaping to the final finish. Have you settled on three or four grits or more?

Thank you,
Sherm
Old 10-11-2020, 10:00 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I try to have 100 grit to start the shaping process and once you got what you want then I swithch 180 to 220 grit and final sand with 330 grit it works for me
Michael Johnston
Old 10-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I was tickled to see 80, 120 and 180 being commonly offered, finally.

While building a kit, I do my rough shaping with 80, beginning smoothing with 120, final smoothing with 180, then finish sanding with 220. I sometimes do regular woodworking, and those grits work really well there too. However, if I have to remove a lot of wood, I start with 60.

Keep in mind that the one and only purpose of going to a finer grit is to remove the scratches left behind from the previous grit. Do all of your "work" with course grits. With that frame of mind, your sanding job becomes much easier, less frustrating and less tiresome.

edited: And when a grit starts getting worn or clogged, throw it away and get a fresh piece. It's just the "cost of doing business". No sense in wearing out your elbow for nothing. Using the techniques I mentioned, I don't mind sanding, and actually enjoy it somewhat. Either bringing out a shape (model), or the beauty of the grain (woodworking) is an enjoyable step for me. "The journey is the destination".

Last edited by Outrider6; 10-11-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:04 PM
slindsay

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I think that answers my question.

I like to build models and plan to do much more since I've retired. I normally use MonoKote but feel I'll use paint from time to time. I'm not the most experienced user of sand paper and have only used what ever happened to be on some old sanding blocks that my dad had, mainly for shaping and as you know the MonoKote will show some imperfections. I acguired a plastic office wall rack and plan to mount it in my workshop for sand paper storage. I didn't feel I needed every grit size available just wanted the most used by the experts.

Thanks again,
sherm
Old 10-15-2020, 11:41 AM
KitBuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like clamps.. you can never have enough grits
I even have some old sanding belts I've cut into pieces for intial serious removal all the way up to 800 or so painted wheel pantes and cowls after initial spray
Old 10-15-2020, 05:50 PM
sensei

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I generally start with 80 grit, it cuts true, then I move to 180 grit, and finally 320 grit before covering.

Bob
Old 10-21-2020, 05:28 AM
carlgrover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I use about what everyone else is using with one exception: I try and do as much rough shaping as I can with woodworking planes and chisels. It cuts down on the amount of dust in the shop and is faster than sandpaper.

Carl
Old 10-21-2020, 06:06 AM
sensei

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by carlgrover View Post
I use about what everyone else is using with one exception: I try and do as much rough shaping as I can with woodworking planes and chisels. It cuts down on the amount of dust in the shop and is faster than sandpaper.

Carl
If I have much shaping to do, I fire up the air compressor, run an airline outside, plug in my angle grinder and go to town, I have 1,2 and a 3 mandrels and abrasive pads for them in 36 and 80 grit. It gets things done in short order.

Bob
Old 10-23-2020, 08:50 AM
VincentJ

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

When I build or should I say in the building stage, I almost always use 150 grit to get the balsa down to where I need it. Once I'm close I'll follow that up with 220, after the model is completed and ready for paint I'll finish up with 400 or sometimes even 600 grit paper.