Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Questions about covering fuselage

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Questions about covering fuselage

Old 10-13-2020, 09:00 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions about covering fuselage

I built another guillow javelin model to replace the one that got away. The one that flew away actually flew very well with virtually no paper left on the fuselage. Therefore I left paper off the fuselage on the second one so I can work on the inside and I don't want to cover the fuselage because I find it very tricky and the wing is already on which is difficult to take on and off without damaging it. I'm wondering how much the paper affects the lift if it's just the lower part or how much even that has that effect. Maybe I can get away with just putting some packing tape on it. Would that be too heavy?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:52 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

The effect would be more drag not less lift IMHO. There are different grades of clear tape and some are much thinner than others. It may leave a sticky mess though at some point. Some of the transparent iron on covering are very light and would be my choice.

david
Old 10-17-2020, 08:30 PM
gyrocptr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

iron-on laminating film. sold by the linear ft.
https://alofthobbies.com/new-stuff-l...ing-films.html
Old 10-24-2020, 02:58 PM
obrien135

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually thank you for that information all that information. Actually what I ended up doing was I had some tissue paper left so I decided to go ahead and put that on rather than make any more purchases and it went on okay but I left spaces blank whatever things protruding like control wires and fixtures and such. Hope it'll help with the drag