Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Spray Painting Compressor questions

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Spray Painting Compressor questions

Old 04-20-2021, 09:22 PM
MODEL MFG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Painting Compressor questions

Hi Friends,
Which is the good compressor for spay painting work? Here i am asking about how much CFM, tank capacity, HP motor, direct drive/ belt driven, 1/2piston & autocut etc and not make. What is the minimum requirements of compressor for painting works? Please suggest.
regards,
Mani
Old 04-22-2021, 04:43 AM
ETpilot

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Before you look at the air compressor size you need to look at the spray equipment you will be using. Siphon guns tend to use lower CFM while HVLP guns can use a high volume of air. Decide on the spray gun first then look at a compressor that can supply the required CFM.

When I started using my first HVLP gun, my compressor could not supply the required air volume. I now have a very high capacity air compressor and I don’t have to worry about it.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:47 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot View Post
Before you look at the air compressor size you need to look at the spray equipment you will be using. Siphon guns tend to use lower CFM while HVLP guns can use a high volume of air. Decide on the spray gun first then look at a compressor that can supply the required CFM.

When I started using my first HVLP gun, my compressor could not supply the required air volume. I now have a very high capacity air compressor and I don’t have to worry about it.
Good points here. Also, high volume doesn’t always mean high pressure. Many HVLP guns use very low pressure. You may also have issues if you try to use a standard regulator and hoses as most won’t supply enough volume of air for many guns. I finally went with a turbine compressor for my HVLP guns. They’ve come way down in price over the years and work exceptionally well with the guns they are designed for.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:04 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The answer to your question is very long. You need (1) enough air, and (2) the right quality air.

Enough air is solved by buying the right size compressor.

Quality air is solved by many things; oil separators, cooling, moisture separators. Depending on the type of painting you are doing (paint type and quality needed), this can range from simply running the air through a long pipe to cool, to sophisticated separation equipment.

I notice you are in India. Parts of which are incredibly humid, so moisture might be your biggest issue.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:21 AM
MODEL MFG

Originally Posted by PopeyeCharlotte View Post
The answer to your question is very long. You need (1) enough air, and (2) the right quality air.

Enough air is solved by buying the right size compressor.

Quality air is solved by many things; oil separators, cooling, moisture separators. Depending on the type of painting you are doing (paint type and quality needed), this can range from simply running the air through a long pipe to cool, to sophisticated separation equipment.

I notice you are in India. Parts of which are incredibly humid, so moisture might be your biggest issue.
I am from central India here we have almost sunny throughout the year. Humidity problems happen sometimes in rainy season, it happens for very few days. I think humidity is not big issue here. Quality of compressor who can give continues CFM of air, filters, gun quality is big problem here. If I am planning for hvlp sata gun in future which is the best minimum requirements compressor I must go with and what are the filters is required. Please suggest.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:57 AM
PopeyeCharlotte

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What CFM does the gun require? Good compressor brands include FS Curtis, IR, Atlas Copco, Sullair. The best for you depends on your budget and how many CFM of air you need.

And what quality of paint do you require? What are you painting? What type of paint.

As I said, it is difficult to "please suggest" a single answer.
Old 04-29-2021, 12:28 PM
jaka54

Hi!
I use a 25 liter tank /compressor (0,5hk) since 40 years ago and still going strong.
I use a SATA minjet spray gun (1mm nozzle) and two larger Italien made spray guns (1,4mm nozzle), all with paint cups mounted above.
I also use some small airbrushes.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:50 AM
mgnostic

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No matter what compressor or paint gun you use, an inline desiccant filter is helpful. I usually mount mine on the inlet of the paint gun. It catches any moisture or debris that may be present in the hose. One thing that hasn't been talked about much is how and where to set up the compressor. A big compressor and tank is nice but they take up space and you need to be able to get to the tank easily. A good quality compressor will have a drain on the bottom of the tank. Even in a relatively dry climate moisture will condense on the interior of the tank and must be drained both to preserve the tank and to prevent contamination. A good quality regulator is also helpful. The regulator that comes with many compressors may be just fine for airing up tires but may not be accurate or consistent enough for a paint gun.

Old 05-02-2021, 04:45 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnostic View Post
No matter what compressor or paint gun you use, an inline desiccant filter is helpful. I usually mount mine on the inlet of the paint gun. It catches any moisture or debris that may be present in the hose. One thing that hasn't been talked about much is how and where to set up the compressor. A big compressor and tank is nice but they take up space and you need to be able to get to the tank easily. A good quality compressor will have a drain on the bottom of the tank. Even in a relatively dry climate moisture will condense on the interior of the tank and must be drained both to preserve the tank and to prevent contamination. A good quality regulator is also helpful. The regulator that comes with many compressors may be just fine for airing up tires but may not be accurate or consistent enough for a paint gun.
And ... a simple regulator may not flow enough CFM of air for many modern guns. The same goes for airlines. Small lines often can't supply enough airflow. I highly recommend the turbine compressors if you are using a gun than can take advantage of one. These are tankless for the most part and some don't require a regulator. Many of these are sold as "spray systems" and operate at quite high CFM of airflow at very low pressure (true HVLP). An advantage is extremely low overspray (wasted paint). They put the paint on the surface rather than into the air and on the floor. Worth looking into if you are serious about painting.