Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

need a new kit, help'

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

need a new kit, help'

Old 07-11-2021, 05:21 PM
hawkman-RCU

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question need a new kit, help'

im pulling out what little hair i have left. im a kit builder and always will be. im going nuts trying to find a good low wing sport/aerobatic kit 65 in span or bigger. all i find is crap and very high prices. any help would be appreaciated. thank you.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:19 PM
Bigshark

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkman-RCU View Post
im pulling out what little hair i have left. im a kit builder and always will be. im going nuts trying to find a good low wing sport/aerobatic kit 65 in span or bigger. all i find is crap and very high prices. any help would be appreaciated. thank you.
Sig Four Star .60 or 1.20

https://sigmfg.com/collections/sig-k...ur-star-60-kit

Just crashed my 1.20 Kit bashed to look like a KI 61 Tony. It was a sweet flier with a ST-2300 in the nose. Quick, unlimited vertical. With over-sized ailerons and rudder to mimic the Tony, it was as aerobatic and sporty as ever wanted. I'm going to have to replace it, probably with a .60 to save a little space.

Already got my kit bashing subject planned.......an Isreali Avia S199 from the 1948 war. Basically a Czech built Bf-109.
The following users liked this post:
michaelgantt (10-14-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 01:42 AM
carlgrover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Balsa USA has a giant scale smoothie. Bruce Tharpe Engineering makes some very nice kits. There are many others out there. You just have to poke around. Can't help you on the price. Balsa wood prices have been going up lately.

carl
Old 07-12-2021, 03:56 AM
rgburrill

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

$230? $190? Remember when you could buy a kit for $50?
Old 07-12-2021, 04:26 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The balsaworkbench.com has a lot of short kits.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:38 AM
hawkman-RCU

thanks.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:38 AM
hawkman-RCU

thanks
Old 07-12-2021, 08:38 AM
Bigshark

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
My first RC kit in the early 2000's was a Hobby Lobby Skimmer 600. $27.00. The times have changed but there are some kits that are still worth it and still available......
Old 07-21-2021, 04:15 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill View Post
Remember when everyone flew 40 size planes? Smaller planes, smaller prices. Larger planes, larger prices.

Scratch building is still cheap and only requires a few tools that you probably already have. Only takes an extra hour or two to cut out all of the parts to make your own kit. if you can build from a kit you can scratch build from the THOUSANDS of plans available for FREE.

Why not have a plane at the field that no one else has?
Old 07-21-2021, 08:40 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Did you get the PM I sent you?

David
Old 07-26-2021, 06:11 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer View Post
Remember when everyone flew 40 size planes? Smaller planes, smaller prices. Larger planes, larger prices.

Scratch building is still cheap and only requires a few tools that you probably already have. Only takes an extra hour or two to cut out all of the parts to make your own kit. if you can build from a kit you can scratch build from the THOUSANDS of plans available for FREE.

Why not have a plane at the field that no one else has?
Scratch building still cheap?? Are you serious? I am a scratch builder along with kits and these days a number of ARFs. The price of materials is extremely high these days and if you add in a cowl and maybe wheel pants the cost is even higher. I use quality finishing materials and coverings that further adds to the cost. If you scratch or kit build and if you are honest with yourself about the costs of everything that goes into the airframe, a quality ARF will be cheaper every time. Sometimes these days, quality balsa can almost be unobtainable which further complicates the equation.

i love to build but more often than not I swallow my pride and fly a quality ARF even though I didnít create it from a pile of materials.
Old 07-31-2021, 05:25 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer View Post
Scratch building still cheap?? Are you serious? I am a scratch builder along with kits and these days a number of ARFs. The price of materials is extremely high these days and if you add in a cowl and maybe wheel pants the cost is even higher. I use quality finishing materials and coverings that further adds to the cost. If you scratch or kit build and if you are honest with yourself about the costs of everything that goes into the airframe, a quality ARF will be cheaper every time. Sometimes these days, quality balsa can almost be unobtainable which further complicates the equation.

i love to build but more often than not I swallow my pride and fly a quality ARF even though I didn’t create it from a pile of materials.
Truckracer

Sounds like you impose restrictions on yourself. Modeling doesn’t have to be expensive, we make it expensive by choice. You can still build for cheap IF you REALLY want to!

I may have an unusual perspective. As a lad my family was stationed overseas in Izmir, Turkey, however I continued to pursue the hobby despite the lack of hobby shops, and painfully slow mail delivery, by using locally sourced materials. My willingness to improvise has stayed with me for nearly 50 years.

Here are a few tips to keep the cost of modeling down.

1. Foam board from Dollar stores works great for ribs, coat the edges with white glue to increase the heat resistance to allow iron on coverings. Less balsa needed.
2. Hardware store lacquer can be used as you would nitrate dope. I bought a gallon at a local thrift store for less than $5.00
3. Sig Koverall is a very good covering but also works very nicely as hinge material. Stits full scale covering can also be used and is cheaper than Koverall.
4. Doculam is a clear laminating film that you can use as covering, it comes on a 2 ft roll and is 500 ft long and cost about $25. Some folks paint it with great success.
5. Paint your planes with latex house paint. If you fly glow, fuel proof with System 3 water based marine paint.
6. Forget the CA! Use hardware store white glue instead. For the cost of a small bottle of CA you can buy enough white glue to build several planes. If you MUST use CA, buy it at the hardware store or Harbor Freight.
7, Keep ALL scrap wood. I’ve built entire planes from wood in the scrap drawer.
8. You can use dress lining as covering material. I’ve used drapery shear fabric to cover planes I built out of cardboard from the dumpster! Once painted you would not guess they are cardboard planes.
9. Build with cardboard! It’s often free!
10. I cut my own foam wings. I bought a sheet of foam 4ft x 8 ft x 4 inches for $75 but I can make about 20 wings from that foam. I cover the foam with wrapping paper applied with white glue and paint with water based marine paint.
11. Sewn hinges work great
12. Build smaller planes! I build 40 size glow and smaller.
13. I buy all my engines used and rarely pay more than $25 each. If you focus on just a few popular engines you will soon have all the engines and parts you need.
14. I bend my own landing gear and make my own coil spring nose gear and never throw them away after a crash.

By the way, you CAN make your own wheel pants and cowls, there was a time when EVERYONE made their own. Convenience costs money! Choose to be a builder again and have fun in the shop!

Last edited by 049flyer; 07-31-2021 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 08:39 AM
hawkman-RCU

thanks 049, i like the idea of using foam for ribs.
Old 08-03-2021, 02:04 PM
Lownverted
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if Bruce has any stock, but the Venture 60 sounds just the thing you are looking for.

BTE - Venture 60

Old 08-03-2021, 06:46 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Lownverted View Post
Not sure if Bruce has any stock, but the Venture 60 sounds just the thing you are looking for.

BTE - Venture 60
iíve been flying a Venture since it was first introduced by Bruce. Nice plane that has given me endless hours of enjoyment with three different engines. When I built it well more than 20 years ago, I faired in a side mounted engine to a spinner to get the exhaust down and under the airframe and improve the appearance. I also enlarged the stock aileron size as the one Venture I had flown before building mine had painfully slow aileron response. Long ago I named it my ďpointy nosed 4 starĒ and to
i this day I feel the 4star 60 flies better. Hard to beat the Bruce Tharp kit quality though.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:21 PM
hawkman-RCU

thanks for your reply lownverted.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:22 PM
hawkman-RCU

hey truckracer, thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2021, 05:58 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truckracer

Sounds like you impose restrictions on yourself. Modeling doesnít have to be expensive, we make it expensive by choice. You can still build for cheap IF you REALLY want to!

I may have an unusual perspective. As a lad my family was stationed overseas in Izmir, Turkey, however I continued to pursue the hobby despite the lack of hobby shops, and painfully slow mail delivery, by using locally sourced materials. My willingness to improvise has stayed with me for nearly 50 years.

1. Foam board from Dollar stores works great for ribs, coat the edges with white glue to increase the heat resistance to allow iron on coverings. Less balsa needed.
2. Hardware store lacquer can be used as you would nitrate dope. I bought a gallon at a local thrift store for less than $5.00
3. Sig Koverall is a very good covering but also works very nicely as hinge material. Stits full scale covering can also be used and is cheaper than Koverall.
4. Doculam is a clear laminating film that you can use as covering, it comes on a 2 ft roll and is 500 ft long and cost about $25. Some folks paint it with great success.
5. Paint your planes with latex house paint. If you fly glow, fuel proof with System 3 water based marine paint.
6. Forget the CA! Use hardware store white glue instead. For the cost of a small bottle of CA you can buy enough white glue to build several planes. If you MUST use CA, buy it at the hardware store or Harbor Freight.
7, Keep ALL scrap wood. Iíve built entire planes from wood in the scrap drawer.
8. You can use dress lining as covering material. Iíve used drapery shear fabric to cover planes I built out of cardboard from the dumpster! Once painted you would not guess they are cardboard planes.
9. Build with cardboard! Itís often free!
10. I cut my own foam wings. I bought a sheet of foam 4ft x 8 ft x 4 inches for $75 but I can make about 20 wings from that foam. I cover the foam with wrapping paper applied with white glue and paint with water based marine paint.
13. I buy all my engines used and rarely pay more than $25 each. If you focus on just a few popular engines you will soon have all the engines and parts you need.
14. I bend my own landing gear and make my own coil spring nose gear and never throw them away after a crash.

By the way, you CAN make your own wheel pants and cowls, there was a time when EVERYONE made their own. Convenience costs money! Choose to be a builder again and have fun in the shop!
I was going to say you have a screw loose thinking building is cheap. But as I got half way through your list I realized I myself have done some of those things to save a bit or considered trying them. The dress liner/curtain sheer fabric is high on my list of things I want to try. You sir are THE frugal hobbyist!
Old 08-24-2021, 09:15 PM
EF

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Truckracer

Sounds like you impose restrictions on yourself. Modeling doesnít have to be expensive, we make it expensive by choice. You can still build for cheap IF you REALLY want to!

7, Keep ALL scrap wood. Iíve built entire planes from wood in the scrap drawer.
8. You can use dress lining as covering material. Iíve used drapery shear fabric to cover planes I built out of cardboard from the dumpster! Once painted you would not guess they are cardboard planes.
9. Build with cardboard! Itís often free!

Thatís an excellent list!

If I may add a few items:

1) You can use liteply as a substitute for aircraft ply and for balsa in many applications, it is very cheap

2) You can make some mods to the design like for example instead of a fuselage side from balsa with a long ply doubler I just make the whole side from liteply and some lightening holes at the back

3) Avoid carved balsa blocks by either laminating scraps instead or sometimes you can change the carved block to bent sheet over a few formers or just cover with balsa strips

4) Some large models can easily tolerate slightly heavier woods than balsa and you wonít really notice it.

I have built a Ziroli B-25 for very little (will scratch build the cowls and am using fixed gear for economy, and reliability).
I currently finished making a kit for a Nosen 1/4 scale Cub for pennies, mostly from lieply.
I also have a scratch built Pica 72Ē Waco I made that way including a scratch built cowl for very little money and lots of enjoyment.

It can get expensive but does not have to be.
I have noticed that many build threads though, have too many vendors and sourced ready made parts listed in them.
Itís your choice.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 110 Likes on 104 Posts

Try a short kit cutter this guy is real reasonable. The plans you download and have Staples, Office Depot, or any local place with a wide printer.

The Balsa Workbench | Helpful hints for building balsa RC airplanes, by Rob Reynolds