Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Four Star 20 Super Sportster Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Four Star 20 Super Sportster Build

Old 07-09-2022, 07:41 AM
Jwhitacre1

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And then there was 2
Old 07-09-2022, 10:54 AM
Jwhitacre1

Default Finished with pants

I have other projects that need my attention now, but I'll get back to the lower cowl Monday. Really happy how these turned out think it'll add that extra touch.
Old 07-13-2022, 01:02 PM
Jwhitacre1

The longer wheel axles I needed arrived today so I put the whole assembly together and love it!
Old 07-13-2022, 01:26 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Now that looks good
Old 07-13-2022, 02:12 PM
Jwhitacre1

Thanks You can't see in the picture, but I locked in the retainers for the cables/springs going from the inner strut up to the fuselage. That way I can just solder/crimp the cables in later when I get to that point. It's just a large loop wire connector, nothing fancy but effective.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:02 PM
Jwhitacre1

I disassembled a dog toy I bought for the leather and just got done sewing on the right cockpit rail guard. Think it adds a level of detail that usually don't do, so I'm feeling pretty good.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:13 PM
flyingagin

Cockpit comming is a great idea and detail. Good idea on the source

Ken
Old 07-13-2022, 05:50 PM
Jwhitacre1

Coaming that's the name for it! Thanks that was driving me insane trying to remember what it was called. I can sleep much sounder now The Mrs came up with the dog toy idea while we were out shopping and I was hunting for decent leather without spending much. Toy only cost me $3 so she came in for the win on that big time.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:54 AM
flyingagin

I did not think I spelled it right when I posted, but just left it. There's a “homophone” for ya. But at least it gave you peace. Smart wife, but they tend to be that way.

Ken
Old 07-14-2022, 03:02 PM
Jwhitacre1

Yes they are smart and creative. Definitely comes in handy for craft help. I got the other coaming on, instrument cluster in, and pilot epoxied in. Think it's time for a new scarf for this guy. His old one is looking rather worn. I'll save the windshield for later to prevent unintentional damage to it.
Old 07-16-2022, 05:21 AM
Jwhitacre1

Ok this is about the time of the build I get worried and start checking things. I put it on the scale and with batteries it's exactly 4 pounds right now. Actually that's not bad and there isn't much more to build, and none of it is heavy. So I'm seeing when done the wing loading will be shy of 22oz/SQ ft. For a sport plane that wants to be a semi scale racer that's right on in my book. It's dead on with the Tower Hobbies Ryan STA and I'll have more battery. Other good news I checked the CG and at the moment it's actually dead on I didn't expect that so I'm very happy. Ok back to building
Old 07-16-2022, 05:22 AM
Jwhitacre1

Old 07-16-2022, 09:56 AM
Jwhitacre1

I spent the morning and early afternoon working on the landing strut springs. I had to make a solid mount which is bolted to the strut with ply blocks on top. The wire is stainless and the springs I picked out of a case of various sizes I had. Although they serve no purpose whatsoever, I'm loving the look!

Old 07-28-2022, 12:58 PM
Jwhitacre1

I still have some things to fabricate, but had enough to do a rough balance check. As I was expecting it's nose heavy. Easy fix since the elevator and rudder servos can be relocated. I removed the existing servo mounts and RX mount. To get the servos far back as possible I have to mount them vertical in the rear of fuselage, but no worries there. With that part being red I'm going to paint the servos red to blend in much as I can get them. Although it's not aesthetically pleasing I do like the slop free setup with a close linkage.I spent a couple hours working on relocating everything. The new RX mount is in place along with the servos. I use coffee stirrers to route the RX antennas so I added those while in there. Once everything dries I'll hook up the servos and ESC plus run the antennas. That should conclude everything under the wing that needs done.
Old 07-28-2022, 09:03 PM
Jwhitacre1

It's one step closer to being radio controlled. For the first time all the servos were hooked up to the receiver and tested out. Granted no control horns are mounted yet nor linkages, but was nice to hear the servos sing their tone when stirring the sticks It's probably an annoying sound to most hearing the servos run from end to end...but for a modeler it's a heavenly sound.
Old 07-29-2022, 03:57 AM
flyingagin

It is a good sound. But not so good when they are fully hooked up and ya hear a buzz. now ya go to make it right. Part of the game.
You are indeed close.

Ken
Old 07-30-2022, 05:27 AM
Jwhitacre1

Yeah the buzz sound brings dread immediately and a feeling of intense need to rectify the problem.
I cleaned up the wiring under the wing and epoxied the battery hatch magnets in place. I suppose I'll have to actually do that lower cowl finally.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:54 AM
flyingagin

Neat installation. What do you run your antennas in. I've been using glow fuel silicon tubing. It may not (and I don't think it is)but I also leave the actual antenna end exposed, so just the sleeved part is in tubing.

Today is moving day. My pickup truck is mostly loaded. Packing is done. Get help and a moving van later. Stored the travel trailer about 2 miles from here. The tags are current on it. But when (in California) you register at the kiosk machine it gives you a waxy paper with your tag on it. Turns out after a call to Ca DMV the waxy paper is the registration card. Well I reckon I tossed it as it looks like what you get when you go to a person and get a tag. They also give a proper paper registration card. So I got to order a paper registration card. Every where I called to store my trailer near Leavenworth, KS wants the paper card before I can put it there. So this place doesn't care. So till I can get the paper the traile gets stored here and then we make a trip back for it.

Like last time heavy goods and boxes in the lower half of the camper shell, and planes on a shelf in the top half. Yeah piled and stuffed in but it works. One aiple wing is to long for my truck so it will have to go in the moving van

Ken
Old 07-30-2022, 06:24 AM
Jwhitacre1

I use coffee stirrers for my antenna routing. Cheap and plentiful
Sounds like you at least have a plan for the trailer that's a good thing. Hopefully rest of it goes smoothly for you! Let me know how it goes once its sorted out.
Old 07-30-2022, 06:55 AM
flyingagin

Will do.
At 70 I am way to old for this crap
Old 07-31-2022, 05:40 AM
Jwhitacre1

Moving is a task and a half at any age way I see it. Good planning, and as much help as you can find always helps.

I had a little time this morning to work on the build. I used that time to redraw the tail feathers and get the templates out. Since it's only I believe 3/16" balsa (didn't measure yet) I'm just going to make them out of a 2 ply balsa and cut lightening holes. It'll be strong for transportation and light enough for what I need. I might make these before the CO or just jump into that next, will depend on time I have. Hopefully get back to this later today.
Old 07-31-2022, 06:46 PM
Jwhitacre1

Every modeler has that moment at some point in a build you pause and think to yourself that this is the coolest airplane you've built. Tonight I had that after putting the roughed out tail feathers and wing on. It's always a good feeling Obviously there's much better aircraft out there, but this one's all mine
Old 08-01-2022, 01:01 PM
flyingagin

It is a heck of a nice looking plane

Got moved. Lost track of somethings. I think they got Buried in the back of storage. Landing gear for all of my planes. some other things. They got moved just not sure where they are at.

Ken
Old 08-01-2022, 05:05 PM
Jwhitacre1

Hey its all moved that's the important part! I'm sure you will find everything in due time. I've moved before and stumbled across missing items months later in a random closet. Glad you got it done and in really good time too.
Old 08-01-2022, 05:10 PM
Jwhitacre1

Default Let's finally make this lower cowl

OK I'm finally actually doing the lower cowl. I promise under all that wood is a cowl...I'll just have to sand to it tomorrow the middle section will hold a lower air scoop that I'll make after everything is shaped out. Tomorrow I'll shape what you see and then glue in the side pieces and let those dry. Goal is to have the cowl done by the weekend.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.