Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Four Star 20 Super Sportster Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Four Star 20 Super Sportster Build

Old 08-02-2022, 03:25 PM
Jwhitacre1

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

After the first sanding session it's taking on a good shape. I had to change the sandpaper on the palm sander so figured was a good time to post an update. I'll do another good round on the palm sander and then fill in the gaps with wood putty.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:05 PM
Jwhitacre1

The rough sanding is totally done now and filler putty in the gaps. Tomorrow I'll fine sand then build the lower air scoop. Getting closer daily!
Old 08-04-2022, 01:38 PM
Jwhitacre1

With the lower cowl all sanded, I made up the scoop that blends the cowl and battery hatch together nicely. Once the glue dries I'll sand the rest of the edges smooth, remove the top cowl, and add screw mounting blocks. Its all little details now and that feels good to know the big stuff is done!
Old 08-05-2022, 06:15 AM
Jwhitacre1

I used an old window screen insert for donor metal to make these vent grills. I glued them in last night and dusted white this morning to match the cowl. They turned out exactly how I wanted
Old 08-06-2022, 05:47 AM
Jwhitacre1

Rain day here so might get some good progress done on this project. So far the upper cowl is reattached and screws holding the upper/lower together in place. I'm now shifting focus to covering. The tail feathers are first so the iron is heating up now and I'm going to get at it.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:23 AM
Jwhitacre1

It's really taking shape now! The addition of the tail feathers really gives the look that was missing. I'm guessing there's about 4.5 hours of work left on this build. I see no problem with having it ready for next weekend.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:37 PM
Jwhitacre1

I didn't want to invest time into the major tasks tonight, so I did some prep work. By I'd guess Tuesday I'll be installing the wire bracing and wanted to get the end pieces ready. There's 2 landing wires since those pass through the fuselage, and 4 flying wires. I modified some control linkage hardware I had to be my turnbuckles and electrical connectors for the other ends. Other than soldering this stuff on its ready to go. I'll clean up the clevises tomorrow with a dremmel, tonight I wanted to just get the holes drilled out for the bolts. That reminds me I also drilled out the bolt holes in the wings. The appropriate length bolts have been fitted til install time.

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been following the thread, just have not commented. Just ain't had the gumption to.
3 years my better halve and I have avoided even the common cold, not a single sick day, Then bam Coved whacks us. But it has been fairly mild. All of the vitamins and other stuff has paid off I think. In our 70's with a bunch of comorbidities and we are doing fine.

This is going to be one darn sharp bird. Hope you can get fight video.

Ken
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Jwhitacre1

I'm glad to hear you are both doing fine, that's great news. Hopefully it runs it course swiftly and doesn't linger around like in some people. Whatever you are doing is working so keep it up!
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
Jwhitacre1

When I get home this evening I'm going to try and do all the remaining covering amd windscreen. That'll leave just control rods and bracing tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
Jwhitacre1

I finally got all the covering out of the way. Feels good to look at an almost complete aircraft. Canopy, control rods, and bracing is all that is left. Getting excited now!

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
flyingagin

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

SWEET! Heck yeah
Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
Jwhitacre1

The control horns are on and fine tuned, radio all programmed, and windscreen on. All I have to do tomorrow is the bracing. Trying for Saturday maiden.