Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Cub (71) Re-covering

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Cub (71) Re-covering

Old 01-14-2022, 10:17 PM
EF

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Sig Cub (71) Re-covering

My very old and reliable Sig Cub was showing signs of age and many flight hours, so I removed the old Silkspan covering and re-covered it but this time with heavy duty high wet strength Silkspan (from Ben Buckle).

Original covering

New covering

Also used this opportunity to apply a fresh new paint scheme, from G-POOH to CF-EGF.
Still very suitably powered by an OS 30FS with APC 11-4.
Only gained 110 grams in the whole process.

Last edited by EF; 01-15-2022 at 02:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 02:23 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, no fair, you stole my paint scheme. Refurb of an old 1/4 scale yellow cub.

Last edited by RBACONS; 01-15-2022 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 03:28 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Cubs are cool

What type of paint did you use over the Ben Buckle silk-span?
Did you use dope to apply the covering or one of the heat activated covering glues?
Old 01-15-2022, 03:42 AM
EF

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ View Post
What type of paint did you use over the Ben Buckle silk-span?
Did you use dope to apply the covering or one of the heat activated covering glues?
I used a heat activated PVA type of glue similar to Balsaloc. Neat and clean to use with no odour. Applied the Silkspan wet after letting it soak several minutes.
Used a very small iron like the one used to apply strips and trim.
After it dried for a day I used thinned dope to seal.

The paint is household Polyurethane, brushed (living in an apartment means spray painting is not an option for me). All registration letters are also painted using automotive vinyl masking tape.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:12 AM
scottrc

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How did you guys remove the old covering? I have an old Sig cub that could use refurbishing. Its been silk and doped with a lacquer paint finish.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:36 AM
EF

Originally Posted by scottrc View Post
How did you guys remove the old covering? I have an old Sig cub that could use refurbishing. Its been silk and doped with a lacquer paint finish.
Open structure areas were simply cut away, all the rest was patiently and carefully sanded off.
Old 01-24-2022, 01:04 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by scottrc View Post
Removing doped covering from a balsa structure can be a real pain in the you know what. It's been awhile since I recovered one of these planes but the process I used was reliable and caused little damage to the structure. I would work on one surface at a time faced up (outside!) and place an old rag or towel on that surface. I'd then saturate that rag with a cheap lacquer thinner and let the thinner soak into the dope surface. A towel works best as it holds the thinner there there for awhile before it can evaporate. Keep the surface / towel wet with thinner as needed. As the doped fabric gets pliable, it can be removed from the structure with little effort. Don't let the soak go too long or glue joints could be weakened. Dope thinner works better as does MEK but both are much more expensive than cheap lacquer thinner. You can certainly work multiple flat surfaces at a time once you get the hang of it. Once removed, minimal sanding is needed before recover. I know some guys cut away much of the fabric in open bays but I found this lets the thinner get to glue joints too easy. Not a fun job and certainly not a quick one. I can remember thinking during a few projects that it might have been easier to just build a new plane. But most of these projects were years ago and I was rebuilding old planes that were given to me and frankly, I didn't have much $$ in those days but I had a lot of time to spend.