Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Thundercat Olympic 20-T kit

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Thundercat Olympic 20-T kit

Old 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
blu_phlesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundercat Olympic 20-T kit

I'm a newbie. Wife bought me this kit on ebay about 5 years ago or so. Thundercat Olympic 20-T No. 440 .20 size sport trainer. Does anybody know anything about this plane?? Any info or first hand knowledge/wisdom about assembling this plane???? Please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Rob
Old 11-09-2003, 10:59 PM
blu_phlesh

Default RE: Thundercat Olympic 20-T kit

First of all, sorry, as you all know it's a Thundertiger........not CAT LOL sorry. I really just want to know if there are some assembly instructions etc. I'm truly lost as to what to do. What servos to use, engine, etc. I've been researching and figuring out some things. Truly i'm as green as they come to r/c. So i'm really grabbing for anything right now. My wife bought this kit assuming that it was ready to fly (as the box proclaimed, but she had no idea) although i'm not sure what comes standard with a kit like this. I understand that engine, radio, servos are not included, but there are no assembly instructions AT ALL. Only a very basic schematic that shows "typical r/c installation" for high wing or shoulder wind model and low wing model...... that's it. In a perfect world I'd simply buy another kit and be on with it all, but money is somewhat of an issue. Do kits like this typically come with no instructions whatsoever??? This kit was apparently opened at some point previous to my(wifes) purchase, so i'm not too sure of what it "should" be like. The major parts of plane are already built. Please , just really looking for some direction..... not a step by step of what to do.

very much thanks
rob
Old 11-10-2003, 09:03 AM
AutoMike

Yipes! without the manual it would indeed be very hard to put the plane together corectly for a newbie, but it being an ARF would be only a bit easier. When an experinced modeler looks and the contents of the box he would see all the componets for what they are: tail parts, fuselage, wings, and all those small peices in bags. He could tell what all the small parts are by looking at them too, wing joiners, control horns, pushrod parts and landing gear parts. For someone that hasnt built even his first plane, I couldnt imagine his puzzelment at all these peices. If you can find a modeler in your area to help put it together, it would be best. I wish that I had a manual for some of my kits that are simaler to your arf. While not the same plane they most all have the same peices and give a logical order for putting it together and that would at least be a great help. Maybe you should start a thread in a few diferent forums titled" looking for a Thundertiger olympic 20 manual". You might find one that way. Good luck. Piper
Old 11-10-2003, 04:46 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

If I remember correctly, the Thunder Tiger 20-T was a good flyer. I had one for years and finally wore it out. What I definitely don't remember is if it was called an "Olympic" or something else. The 20-T was available as a traditional kit as well as an ARF, so I'm a little confused here. Is the sample you have a "Kit" i.e. bundles of wood and such or is it an ARF, with the main components built and covered just needing assembly.

Pipers suggestion of finding local help is definitely a good one. To add to his suggestion, If its an ARF then you can look at "on-Line" manuals for current offerings at Tower Hobbies. If you read through enough of them you'll get a feel for the parts you have and the assembly sequence. Go to the Tower Hobbies web site and start looking at trainer planes. If there's a link to a manual, and most of them do, download it and read through it. Compare the parts with yours. Note the differences and the similarities. For example, some kits have the hinges already installed and glued, and some don't. Eventually you'll have enough info to formulate a plan to get yours together.

However, If its a traditional kit, you will need to find a set of plans. Unless you have a bunch of kits under your belt there is no way you'll be able to determine what goes where. For example, figuring out the rib spacing, sheeting material, sizes, placement and such. Not to metion the various fuse doublers, bulkheads and such. Even an experienced builder will run into a problem or two without a set of plans or instruction manual.

Also, I seem to remember that most of those older ARFs and kits had brass metal hinges. Replace them with conventional plastic pin hinges like Du-Bro or something. The brass ones fail quickly and the metal pin rubbing around in he metal hinge can cause radio interference.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Old 11-11-2003, 03:30 PM
blu_phlesh

OK...already got one up on your wonderful suggestions. This past Saturday I posted a question to customer service department of Ace Hobby - who is North American distributor for Thunderkitty. At first I went to Thunderkittys web site which is truly one of the worst websites I've ever seen in my life. I could also detect that english is not a language that they are highly proficient in so I changed my course of action to Ace Hobby. They mailed me a manual for the T-20 this afternoon. So I'm very impressed with Ace Hobby, at least by that deed. It is *very* kind of them to mail me a manual of a plane that is long out of production.
Well, the box declares it to be "Ready to Fly". But alas, that is *not* the case LOL . Yes, major parts assembled and covered. Although I have a strong feeling that not all parts are there. I'll find out in a few days when I receive the manual.
I'm glad to hear that you (optech) believe the T-20 to be a good flyer. I was wondering about that as well.
Thanks so much for your help guys. That's good advice about finding a modeler to help me out some. And some other great sundrie ideas as well.

thanks
rob
Old 07-23-2007, 09:20 AM
rgava

I'm also looking for the manuals of this plane, but here in Spain there is not a distributor so kind as there.
It's difficult for you to scan it and send me the file by e-mail?
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:47 PM
blu_phlesh

I've still got the manual. And I would be very happy to make a copy of the manual for you. Be patient with me though. my printer/scanner is out of ink. I won't buy replacement ink, i just buy a new printer and haven't bought a new one yet. I only work a few hours a day. Otherwise I'm at the beach kiteboarding and enjoying the surf. I'm a terrible procrastinator and I live by 'island time'. Not to mention I've got four kids as well........ So with all that said feel free to harass me at my email: [email protected]. Although I most definitely want to help you out.

Rob Harriman
Old 07-27-2007, 10:07 AM
rgava

Thanks a lot for your help.
I definitivelly will push you by e-mail.
I like to give new life to an old plane!
Best Regards.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:58 PM
nestor7946

Excuse me I'm french and i don't speak very well.
I have bought * Thundercat Olympic 20-T. I have not the motor and the radio. I want to find someone for scan and mail me the manual of this plane.
Thank you for your help.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM
rgava

Dear Nestor,

I've a Thunder Tiger Olympic 20 T.
Here you have the instructions manual...
I don't know if you are looking for it or if the Thundercat is another plane.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pn37706.pdf (1,000.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 PM
-s-

Howdy,

Found your post from a few years ago, thanks for the manual!

I just picked one of these up, it's new but age has done some bad things to it :-)

Did you ever fly yours? if so what type of servos did you put in it?

Thanks -S-
Old 02-12-2011, 09:03 PM
-s-

Howdy,Found your post from a few years ago, thanks for the manual!I just picked one of these up, it's new but age has done some bad things to it :-)Did you ever fly yours? if so what type of servos did you put in it?Thanks -S-
Old 02-13-2011, 08:49 AM
rgava

You're welcome!

Mine is crashed and I don't know yet if I will repair it or not.
At the moment I'm bussy with other projects and it's on the queue.
Good luck with yours!