Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Flair Fokker D7 - Which engine??

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Flair Fokker D7 - Which engine??

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 06:14 AM
lightning SJA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flair Fokker D7 - Which engine??

Hi there.

Looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help?

I'm half way through building a Flair Fokker D7 (so far so good), but now need to decide on an engine. Ideally I would like a four stroke and the suggested engine size is between 0.48 - 0.80 4st

My initial thoughts were for a Magnum xl80 rfs (mainly due to price and I have read some excelent reviews of them on this site). Then I wondered whether I would have to make many adjustments to the fusalage as it is in the bigger size range?? Next I thought about a Saito 65 (quite pricey but good reputation), also considering an RCV 58 (which is the conventional layout one).

What do you guys think?? A model shop owner said the bigger the better, then tried to flog me an sc-91!! I don't want to have to cut formers etc.. to fit in an oversized engine.

Lots of conflicting info out there so, any good honest relevent advice/experience really appreciated. [sm=drowning.gif]

Cheers,

Steve[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 12-10-2003, 09:22 AM
Scalebuff

Default RE: Flair Fokker D7 - Which engine??

hey another D7

my D7 is from plans and im about finished (apart from building a new upper wing )...

as for the engine i can only give you a biased opinion , im a RCV freak so i would go with the RCV i just love these engines and they swing a prety good prop too, plus they sound awsome

i have 5 RCV's in warbirds and never had any trouble with them, and a 6th is ready to be droped into the D7, as for the magnum i carnt comment iv never owned one

carnt wait to get this finnished she looks grate but if i see another wing rib im going to cry LMAO! GL with yours
Old 12-10-2003, 09:30 AM
lightning SJA

Thanks for the input Rick.

Seriously considering RCV as it's a bit different from the usual bunch.

What's the wingspan of your model? What engine are you putting in?

Steve
Old 12-10-2003, 11:27 AM
Doug D.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm presently working on the Flair Bristol F2b. Nice little kit, especially if you enjoy building. I'm about two thirds framed. This kit calls for a .60 to a .90 4s which should be more than adequate considering how light it seems to be building. I'll be use a Saito .91, it dropped right into the engine bearers with no adjustments needed.
I think that the Magnum .80 or even there .91 would fit well and provide more than adequate power for flight. The RCV 58 would fly it, but I think you'd be happier with a little extra power in the front.
I don't think that you will have to do much if any carving to make them fit. I'd reason to say they designed the model around the Saito .65 to .80 or the similar Magnum engines.
Have you talked to Flair? They're pretty darn good with product support if you have a Question.
Good luck and have fun!!! [&:]
Old 12-10-2003, 02:04 PM
Scalebuff

hey steve...

mines a 72" WS and i have my RCV .90sp ready to drop in...

this has been a real project for me, the plans im working from are pretty old and have seen better days lol, the info on the plans E.G engine size/name has been lost but all the important bits are there, i only know the WS because i measured it from the plan

it uses very old construction methods and as i said above i have built a second top wing as the first wing i built (to plan) seemed very weak, and funny enough the guy i had this plan from said he built the plane many moons ago but ...... you guesed it the top wing broke up in mid flight ...

i have had to redesign a lot of the plane as there were things i didnt realy like but its comming along now and as reagards the engine im just going with my gut on this planeas i have no idea what size it was designed for but a 90 4s sounds about right, so fingers crosed it should all go ok on THE DAY

thought of a color scheme for yours yet? iv changed my mind sooo many times and i still dont know LOL there are so many
Old 12-11-2003, 04:21 AM
lightning SJA

Doug, cheers for the advice. Think I'll stick with my first thought and go for the Magnum then. I know it's better to have as much power as possible, but I didn't wanna go over the top... If I'm still being indecisive by Saturday I'll give Flair a call.

sb, sounds like your getting really stuck into the project. Good luck with it. Not sure about the colour scheme yet either? Like you say there are so many. I quite like the one on the box lid of the kit, but I'd like to try and make mine a bit more original and personal. That worry is a little way away from me at the moment though, concentrating on getting the bulk of the building done first. My flying skill still needs improvement as well before I'd atempt to fly this one I think, so there's no rush for me to get it in the air.

Thanks guys for your input.

Steve [sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 12-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Scalebuff

Steve....

sb, sounds like your getting really stuck into the project
Im glad you think so lol, this one seems to be taking for ever, saying that i knew from the start it would be a big project, i contacted cafeenman yesterday and asked his advice on this damn wing, a mistake now could sind the whole project into a spiral when i come to mount the wing ...

ui know hat you mean on the color scheme, i also like the one on the flair kitt, but i just cannot make up my mind, the way im going ill end up painting black with poster paints LMAO!
Old 12-11-2003, 09:18 AM
CBRC-Tom3rd

My Flair D VII is on 4 years and counting, its been quite an off and on project. Everything is framed and I'm just waiting on a method to seal the fabric covering and then paint it. I can't seem to find a decent low-smell method that doesn't require an airbrush or weigh a ton.
Please post pics when you are done!
Old 12-11-2003, 11:52 AM
Scalebuff

hey another DVII!!!! we could start up our own squadron

what engine you got for yours??