Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Page Aviation Kits

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Page Aviation Kits

Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
bipestick

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Page Aviation Kits

Gregg
Adrian Emailed back that he didn't have time to make the radial engines. Just what I thought had happened. He said he would try to get them done next week. So I figure that delivery from Canada will put them out three to four weeks. Have you put the cowl together yet? I've been looking at the SPE 26 as an engine for this one. With an 18 X 6 carbon prop it should have around 14 to 15 lbs of thrust and still be light. The engine comes in at 36 oz with ignition and muffler! In my other Gee Bee I had to add about 4 oz to the nose using a Super Tigre 2300 with a Bisson muffler. 2300 with stock muffler is 38 oz. I like gas over glow. Less mess on a good paint job. Longer flite time on less fuel and I plan on flying the HECK out of this one.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:45 PM
lomcevoc
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bipe
Great info and input on the motor stuff. I had planned on using a Saito 180 (31 oz) to keep it light, but now I may re-think that one a little more (I love my Saito's).
Do you know if he charged you for the Radial or not?
Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM
bipestick

Gregg
Yes, my invoice was taped to the box and he did charge me for it. When I ordered my first Gee Bee, I had to wait for the fiber glass and then for the radial as well. that's how I knew he made them in his shop. At that time he was having trouble geting the plastic for them. I'm not quite sure why my first plane needed extra nose weight. I did not even add a pilot. I did modify the elivator controls. I used wire bent in a U to connect the elivator halves. In the middle I silver soldered a piece of brass bar stock and washers to act as a control horn. I then cut out the rear former for clearance and hooked up the control rod. This gives you no visable control linkage for the tail. It is my own modifacation to what Adrian used for controling the rudder. You can still get to the controls for service by removing the rudder. It's a bit of a pain, but I love the look. Study your prints and I think you will understand what I did. I used Sullivan precision Gold-N-Rods. They have carbon added to eliminate the expantion of their standard rods. They are available in 5-56 and 4-40. I also used a set of Great Planes Gee Bee decals on mine. Mainly the N-numbers on the wing and the #7 on the fuse and wing. Adrian painted his on but I was to lazy for that and Tower Hobbies has them for under $5.00 plus shipping.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:36 PM
jdep
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been trying to contact Adrian page. I sent a thread trhiu the website , but did not get a reply
Does anyone have a good e-mail address for him? Is he still in business at all??

John
Old 01-09-2009, 05:24 PM
lomcevoc

jdep
I have been trying to get a hold of him as well to ask him some gerneral questions about the 1/4 scale Gee Bee kit I recently purchased from him but have had no luck. So if you find out a good source pleas share if you would.

Gregg
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM
bbbair

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you... but Adrian has fallen victim to the current wave of ARFs.
The inexpensive ARF from Asia has proven to be too much for the small entepaneur from Canada...[] [:@] [:'(]

Adrian was a one man show making quality kits and supporting his family. The influx of high quality ARFs made his product ... LESS appealing ... and his consumer base dried up over a year ago. [&o]

Adrian has moved on to other business adventures - I wish him well.

The next time that you buy an inexpensive ARF from Asia / India - think about Adrian - he is a sign of the times.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:15 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bbbair

I had one of Adrian's GeeBee "Z" built from a Hobby Hangar kit. What a super neat Plane, and its a shame to see another good kit designer gone. We Americans don't like to work for pennies, but most don't mind if those building our ARF's do. I know that statement ticks people off, but anyone over 35 can drive thru any small town in America, and it don't take a genious to see what is missing and why. I am not blaming all ARF's either...because I used to buy from a little ARF company in Canada called Vectorflight. They put out a pretty nice product and were real good people to deal with. They to could not compete no matter how great there customer service was, and no matter how good there product was. No American or Canadian can compete against those absurdly low asian wages. I am not against fair trade, and if another country like Japan can build better products using our same higher labor standards, the competition is good and it drives innovation, and it makes us work harder to try to do better to create better products. However to suggest that we should opperate like the Chineese do...........eegad! Airplanes, Cars, Electricity, Phones, splitting Atoms. It all came from America's desire to create and experiment and be a leader in the world. However it is just crazy to think any North American including Mexico could stoop clear down to Asian labor standards, and we are losing our edge everyday because for many people it just don't matter anymore where stuff comes from as long as it is cheap. I have been just as guilty as the next guy, but everytime I read where the little guy got beat out again by Asian wares, it really makes me stop an think about what I am doing, and maybe to try just a little better tommorrow to do something that might be better for "we" instead of just "me". We all or most of us threw mom and pop under the bus! I am absolutely certain there are people that are fine with that. When was the last time you looked at the label on something to see where it was made? Would you pay an extra buck or two for something if you knew your friend and neighbor Bill made that product and was trying to put his two kids through school? Sorry for the rant...but it just saddens me that it has become a me me me me me...its all about me society! Anyhow I will get off my soap box, but I will say again...I thought Adrian did put out some pretty nice stuff.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:28 AM
yojoelay

Sorry but these things do torque me. Although I agree with the general thrust of your post:

- Antonio Meucci invented the telephone in 1848, in Havana. Alexander Graham Bell, of Great Britain, gets some credit too.

- Electricity was not invented by a single person but the origins of the work in the area were by Greeks.

- Karl Benz, a German, is credited with inventing the first motor car.

Americans may have refined these modern conveniences but they certainly did not come 'from America's desire to create and experiment and be a leader in the world'.

And yes, if Adrian ever released another kit I'd be first in line to buy it.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 AM
lomcevoc

ORIGINAL: bbbair

I'm sorry to be the one to tell you... but Adrian has fallen victim to the current wave of ARFs.
The inexpensive ARF from Asia has proven to be too much for the small entepaneur from Canada...[] [:@] [:'(]

Adrian was a one man show making quality kits and supporting his family. The influx of high quality ARFs made his product ... LESS appealing ... and his consumer base dried up over a year ago. [&o]

Adrian has moved on to other business adventures - I wish him well.

The next time that you buy an inexpensive ARF from Asia / India - think about Adrian - he is a sign of the times.
1) You get what you pay for, you want something to fly for 1/2 the cost thats what you'll get with 1/2 the wood (light and all light ply) and 1/2 the joints joined and glued.
2) ARF'S = Apples Kits = Oranges
3) Won't be a next time to by an ARF, learned my lesson mentioned in #1 already.
4) Everytime I look at my CHINA made ARF and my 4 Adrian made Kits and or Plans (for scratch building) I am thankful for people like Adrian.

What ever happened to "Building" what you fly.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

bbbair, would you know Adrian can, or would, supply the cowl/wheelpants/canopy for his Gee Bee plans (such as the ones from his RC Modeler articles)? Thanks.

Joe
Old 01-10-2009, 11:20 AM
ckangaroo70

Well I am not going to go as far to say everything out of Asia is not built good. I have seen some very nice ARF's come out of Asia. They are starting to make some very good engines as well. I don't know the percentage made in Asia, but I do know the percentage of ARFs made here is next to none. There are some real clunkers made as well, but my overall gripe is just that WE SHOULD NOT BE SUPRISED WHEN SOME LITTLE GUY LIKE ADRIAN CAN'T COMPETE. We buy from those who don't play by fair rules. Why should we and other fair labor countries like the U.S and including my Australian buddy a couple post above have the rights to make the rules? BECAUSE ITS COUNTRIES LIKE OURS WHO ARE THE MAIN CUSTOMERS! The Japaneese make darn fine products, and they even compete here in the United States under our Labor Laws. Of course I am not going to start talking about Union Wages and Non Union wages, but that all aside they still operate under our laws when producing here, and they build good products. Its not doing our American Auto makers to good, but keeping all those arguements on the side..the fact is they make good stuff and treat the people building the stuff fairly.
I am not trying to start a flame thread. As I said...I AM JUST AS GUILTY AS THE NEXT GUY. I am not sitting up here on my high horse looking down. All I was trying to get across is that we all should know why the little guy can't make it here producing the wares of our hobby. It all boils down to the little guy over here wants to make enough money to support his family on, and pay his bills. Hard to do that when there are some who will work for pennies on the dollar.
I also want to say that I don't want to get into a history debate. My trade is a Bricklayer....so I depend on my back more than my mind!LOL My point about our history is that we have always been a nation about innovative design and building. Forget the telephone......ever see the fins on a 59 caddy? Who else in the world would sport fins like that? Now we have become a nation of credit and purchasing from others. Thats the only point I was trying to make there.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 PM
lomcevoc

ORIGINAL: sqeakalong

bbbair, would you know Adrian can, or would, supply the cowl/wheelpants/canopy for his Gee Bee plans (such as the ones from his RC Modeler articles)? Thanks.

Joe
Which Gee Bee are you looking for parts? The Z or the R2? I may have a Cowl for the Z version that I built awhile back and opted to buy a Glass version and did not use the Plastic one. I Scratch built it off of the RCM Plans as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75255.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1107707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77876.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1107708  
Old 01-10-2009, 02:40 PM
ckangaroo70

lomcevoc

Sweet looking GeeBee Z! Wish I still had mine! Mine had a Saito 50 in it, but to be honest I never worked up the nerve to fly it. I fly off grass, and I read it was a bear to keep it on its mains on landing. Out of the 50 or so RC Planes I have had...it was the only Hangar Queen I ever had cause I thought it was just to darn cute to bust up. I ended up selling it on fleabay, but I still have the plans and may opt to build another someday. The one I had was built by a professional builder for a friend who never flew it, and I bought it off him and never flew it. It was covered in fabric, and all hand painted. It was really sharp! I do enjoy building my own kits, and scratch building though...so perhaps if the fiberglass parts were made available I might consider building another one.

Name:	Ax73011.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1107735  
Old 01-10-2009, 05:57 PM
lomcevoc

Nice Job as well! Mine is powered by a Saito .56, covered in Sig Koverall and painted as well. Nothing looks as good as a Gee Bee. I also have 30% scratch built his Gee Bee R2 Version and have recently purchased his last run of the 1/4 Scale version of the R2. The largest one I have is the R2 version in a 30% size for a 50 cc motor (not yet started to build).
You know you want another one now go on and pull those plans out and look em' over....
Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM
squeakalong

I'd sure be interested in knowing where you purchased the fiberglass parts for the Adrian Page Gee Bee models, and if the cowl/pants/canopy is available for the Z and R-1 model as befits the RCM plans. (Whew!)

Heck...where can I get the parts?

Joe
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
lomcevoc

I bought mine from Adrian after I bought the plans from RCM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:07 AM
squeakalong

Okay class...anyone want to raise their hand and tell me who, if anyone (careful now...a trick question?), makes the fiberglass cowl/pants and canopy for the Adrian Gee Bee kits?

Soft landings.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:09 PM
bipestick

The last email I had for Adrian was: [email protected] This worked for me back in November of 2008. I needed the radial engines I ordered for my Gee Bee R2. He did send them to me, but I have not heard anything else about him. His web site is ltill up but some of the pages are dead.

Dave
Old 11-08-2009, 12:39 PM
greenheugh

Hello Adrian and fellow AP Gee-Bee enthusiasts.
I bought the Adrian PageGee Bee Z and the smaller R2 from Hobby Hanger around 1999 or 2000 I think.
Both have been excellent, but the R2 is now gone. It became oil-logged so I ditched it.

Anyway, the Z ABS wheel and leg fairings are now shot to ribbons and I would like to replace them with fibre-glass.
I'd also like to buy the dummy engine because I didn't buy it originally.

Does anyone still make these?
Even the ABS ones would suffice.

I fly it on an OS 52FS.
If you see a photograph attached to this post, that's my Aviomodelli Storch in the background.

Greenheugh

Name:	Xv64105.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1310033  
Old 12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Wiggy

Does anyone know if the Newbee will ever be available again? A friend had one several years ago and I would really like to get one. The plans are available from RCM but I would like to get the whole kit.

Wiggy
Old 12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I built the Page Gee Bee Z many years ago. I actually bashed the model for an improved scale look. I'm not sure, but I believe I purchased glass spats from Stan's Fiberglass. I'd have to pull the invoice.

The kit was wonderful to say the least, but I must add that my improvments have made it look more scale.

Maybe one day I'll finish it.

Charles

www.cfcgraphics.com

Name:	us54674.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1328378  
Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 PM
lomcevoc

ORIGINAL: Wiggy

Does anyone know if the Newbee will ever be available again? A friend had one several years ago and I would really like to get one. The plans are available from RCM but I would like to get the whole kit.

Wiggy
There is an ARF and a ARC kit available on the Buy and Sell forum in here (RCU) if your interested in that route. Usually listed on the first or second page of the "Airplanes" catagorie.

Gregg
Old 12-04-2010, 04:49 AM
heavydriver
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Adrian, I know your not in the kit business anymore, but would you consider selling plans for the 1/4 scale GeeBee?
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello Adrian, I know your not in the kit business anymore, but would you consider selling plans for the 1/4 scale GeeBee?
Are you sure Paige Aviation is no longer making kits?

There's plans offered everywhere for all of the Gee Bee's. I even have a bunch!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:58 PM
BlackPowder

Well here it is after 4 years. A friend of mine started this kit about four years ago and in January he asked me if I wanted it, answer YES!! It was all framed up so I did the finish such as covering it and painting, installing all the servos, ect. Maybe maiden it in about two weeks, if the wind will ever stop. Jim

Name:	Tr49147.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1614107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75784.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	1614108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99926.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1614109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rl24715.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1614110  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.