Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig SE Wing Tube, Carbon Fiber??

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig SE Wing Tube, Carbon Fiber??

Old 02-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Wyo_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig SE Wing Tube, Carbon Fiber??

Hello All,
Checking to see if there are any Carbon Fiber wing tubes made for the Sig "Somethin Extra"? If so, is there any weight savings and where do you get them, about how much $$? Trying to keep one light since we fly at 7200'. Would it hurt to drill some holes in the aluminum tube, larger at the ends, smaller towards the center, none at the wing joint and fuse center??
Thanks for the info!!
Wyo_Flyer
Old 02-03-2004, 08:43 AM
BadAtti2de

Default RE: Sig SE Wing Tube, Carbon Fiber??

I know the aluminum is 6061, pretty much the lightest. The only way to get a carbon fibor one would be to have it made special by a bicycle company(handlebars). I dont know if you could find a straight set. You could probably drill it a little because I know people do it for mountain bikes to save weight. Just be careful not to drill to much and make it weak. the 6061 is a standard for bikes so maybe you could even find a light aluminum.
Old 02-03-2004, 02:01 PM
KidVermin
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Sig SE Wing Tube, Carbon Fiber??

Wyo:

I wouldn't waist the time trying to take a half oz. off the weight and weaken the wing tube. My suggestion would be to increase the pitch on the prop. Another pilot asked the same question last week about a carbon tube. The $30 to 50.00 price to me wouldn't be worth the 1oz. savings if it would be possible to get a perfect fit in the tube housings.