Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Crossbow by Leading Edge circa 1999

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Crossbow by Leading Edge circa 1999

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:30 PM
no1speshal
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crossbow by Leading Edge circa 1999

Hello All,
I was looking through some back issues of Model Aviation magazine (Nov 1999) and saw an add for the Crossbow by Leading Edge. I tried the number and it had been disconnected. Tried the website and it was for sale. Does anyone know where I could find one of these planes? If not, where can I get simple wing plans? I would like the wing to be fully symetrical and tapered. No particular size, I will build the plane to reflect the wing size.
If anyone has the plane or where I could get one of these as a kit, I would indeed be greatly in your debt! I love planes that are not typical in looks and I fly the wings off of everything I have, so this would be a welcomed addition to my fleet.

Thanks for your help!

Red

Picture humbly borrowed from Model Aviation Magazine, November 1999 Page 30. Please don't sue me for copywrite infringements!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26070.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	104185  
Old 03-19-2011, 09:13 PM
chevymann

Default RE: Crossbow by Leading Edge circa 1999

hey red im gald someome besides me is trying to find something on  this plane have you had any luck i sure have not this is a bad to the bone good looking plane something no has theys got to be somebody out ther that has or at one time had this plane if you have had any luck at all let me know please thanks ricky
Old 03-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Al Stein

You may just find the plane through Ebay or there's at least one kit collectors orgnization out there. I remember that when I saw an actual Crossbow, I was a bit dissapointed by how slab-sided it looked to me... turned out that the picture suited my tasates better than the plane, but it was still a cool design.

Meanwhile, RCM also published a rhombohedral wing plan in the early 80s it's small but could be good for your use or could be a good starting point to either enlrge from or whatever... http://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1688

(Off subject, I see you're a chevymann back when these planes were made, my car was a "Chevyac" a new Pontiac LeMans wagon from the factory with the Chevy 305 and all the suspension stiffening stuff from the towing pckage. Very fine. Sorry I don't still have it!)
Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 PM
bubba153

You mean like this one?  It's an unbuilt kit.  I'd need to check my storeroom, but IIRC it's in good shape.  It builds as a one-piece (wing isn't detachable), and the handling characteristics aren't anything special.  And yes, the fuse is a slab-side.  I had 2, built one, and haven't decided what I want to do with this one.

Old 03-22-2011, 07:40 PM
chevymann

hey thanks yep that wood be her say you had one buit ever gey to fly it to see how it does if you want to sell it let me know or even by a cope of the plans if you still have it that is thanks once again for getting back with me
Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Zarzep

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looking for the Plan for Leading Edge Crossbow (circa 1999)

Originally Posted by chevymann
hey thanks yep that wood be her say you had one buit ever gey to fly it to see how it does if you want to sell it let me know or even by a cope of the plans if you still have it that is thanks once again for getting back with me
I know this has sitting idle for a couple of years but I have had request from my father to see if I can locate a plan for this plane. So I am asking can someone help us?
Old 11-03-2020, 08:03 PM
DJPJR

Default Crossbow

If you find a plan, please share it. I would like to build the plane myself.
Thanks, Dave
Old 11-03-2020, 08:23 PM
Zarzep

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will do if we find it

It is good hear people are still out there looking for these plans. If we find it we will share.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zarzep:
DJPJR (11-03-2020), ktmowers (03-02-2022)
Old 01-16-2023, 12:27 PM
ktmowers
My Feedback: (1)

Default Plans

I just got one of these planes with the manual. The manual said that the kit does not use plans. I guess it was easy to put together.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:12 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There is enough information in that 3/4 overhead view for any experienced KIT BUILDER to decide what size engine you want to power your Crossbow with, the wing area you think you will need, the length and depth of the fuselage, the wood it will take to build the tail surfaces....then buy some materials and build it....!!
I'd make the stab / elevator about 25% of the total wing area and set the model's fore / aft CG at 25% of the average wing chord
There are free Model CG Calculators that make establishing the balance point of tapered / swept wings easy.
The engine in that photo can be used as your measuring tool to "scale" the basic layout.
Let's say you have a .40 laying around..use it as your gauge to interpret the photo.
Use the skills you have acquired as a kit builder and challenge yourself to take what you've learned to the next level...!
Old 01-17-2023, 03:06 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Old 01-18-2023, 12:10 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RICKSTUBBZ
From what I've read...this plane doesn't fly any better than a conventional plane...it's coolness comes from looking so different.