Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What is your first kit ? And what kits do you own/building ?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What is your first kit ? And what kits do you own/building ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Born to Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your first kit ? And what kits do you own/building ?

What is the first kit you own and build ? And what is your experience / fun / satisfaction with it ?

And subsequently, how many kits do you own ? What are they ? Which kits are Work-in-progress and which ones are sitting somewhere going to be started someday ?

I hope this thread will not be transferred to clubhouse, because this thread is for all of you folks, the kit builders.....

Let's start the ball rolling...........
Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 AM
bojangle

Default RE: What is your first kit ? And what kits do you own/building ?

My first kit was a Guillows something or other, I was only 13 at the time. Over the last 50 years, I have built kits by Sig, Ace, Dumas, TopFlite, MarksModels,Andrews, Midwest, and more recently Great Planes.

My first Sig kit was a big disappointment, the parts were inked on the wood, and required a band saw. I remember thinking, if I have to do all this work, I might just as well build my own. So about 80% of my planes have been scratched. I don't like the newer kits, as the wood is too heavy and brittle, with too much plywood. I am fortunate enough to have a huge inventory of 30 year old Sig contest balsa on hand, which should last the rest of my life. I wish I had kept records, but would guess about 75 planes built in my lifetime, from 1/2a to 1/4 scale. (even electrics, which I find rather boring and expensive).

About every 5 to 8 years, I take my least favorite planes to the auction. I don't get much for them, but enough to sorta start over. I have also sold many to other flyers who weren't inclined to building. My "keepers" include: a GP Super Sportster 40 and a GP Cub 40, both birthday presents from my wife. You might find this hard to believe, but my favorite to fly is a 15 year old scratch built 4 channel trainer. The engine (OS FP 35) has over 100 hours on it and the original prop. I have 15 brand new OS engines ranging from .10FSR to FT-160 four stroke, I doubt if I'll ever have time to build planes for all of them.

For a bit of nostalgia, does anyone remember the Dumas control line planes?...The "Chief", "Brave", and "Papoose". We used to convert them to RC and were great flyers. The Nobler and FliteStreak were also popular mods. The planes I enjoyed flying the most were the ones that I just dumped the parts out, poured some glue over them, and flew them to death.

So now that I'm 65, (not retired), what next? My problem is I have become too "picky" about my work, I can't build a kit without modifying it. Then when it's finished, it's too nice to fly. I hate BARFs , but for someone just starting in the hobby, I would recommend buying a cheap BARF trainer, find an instructor, and fly that thing till it fell apart. Then buy either a GP PT-40 or Sig LT-40....(I'm trying to decide which one to get for myself, I may get them both).

I think this is a fantastic thread, would like to hear from other "old timers".

BO (The name on my planes is "Sky King") When I die, if I wake up with a Transmitter in my hand, then I will know I'm in heaven............
Old 03-27-2004, 05:00 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Like many others, my first kit was a Goldberg Eagle II. I enjoyed it's construction and had it framed up in a couple days.

Since then I have built 25 or so kits ( 13 years), each one a little more challenging than the last.

I'm currently building a Holman Focke Wulf 190 D9. Next on the list is a Pica WACO.
I have a Bridi Reerwin Speedster, a Ziroli Stuka and another Holman D9 waiting their turn.

I've built kits by Goldberg, Top Flite, Great Planes, Messer, Meister, IKON, Sig, Bridi and more. Each offer something to learn. some are better than others, but all have something good to offer.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:10 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I built 3 or 4 Carl Goldberg control line kits when I was 11 or 12 in the 60's. Lil Toot and Lil Satan are names that come to mind. I built good looking and flying planes. The problem was my brother and his friend always flew them. I think my longest flight was about 40 seconds. I was always over controlling.

I got re-acquainted with the hobby 4 years ago. My father-in-law bought a GP 81" fabric covered Cub ARF with a 71 OS four stroke. We puzzled that one out together. The biggest problem was figuring out how to plumb the fuel tank and what the nozzle on the bottom of the crank was for.

My first RC kit was a Lanier ST40 laser cut trainer that I finished everything but the wing. At that time the place to be online was RCO and everyone was raving about how well the Sig LT40 flew. I believed all the hype and found an ARF in a hobby shop and assembled that for my trainer. Next kit was a Sig 4 Star 60. I covered it in maroon and creme and learned a valuable lesson about bright colors standing out in the sky and loss of orientation. Lost it in the morning sun. Next build was a Sig Rascal 40 ARF. Next kit was a 4 Star 40 covered in white with blue and red accents. Blue strips on the bottom of the wing cured my low wing orientation problems.

Since then I have plans kitted a 60 size Cloud Dancer by Fred Reese. By that I mean everything is cut out and ready to assemble it's just not built. I've got a Sig Somethin Extra in the bones - covering it this weekend.

The Lanier is finally going to be completed as a Trainer for my wife. Got a Hog Bipe, Dyna Flybaby and Mini Smith still in the boxes. Plans for a RC Connection Tsunami. Life is good.

John
Old 03-27-2004, 09:28 AM
SooprDink

Ok, this is a long story but I believe it applies...please bear with me...

Well, I am not an old timer....I guess I would be a newcomer I started in the hobby almost one year ago. I had always had a desire to fly RC and heard about a flying field about 20 mins from home. I went out and met the president of the local club. Awesome guy. Anyways, he set up another day for me to come out and fly with him. The day arrived and I found myself at the end of a buddy cord. He set me up on his personnal plane (A Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 60). I told him how reluctant I was as it wasnt a trainer and I didn't want to crash it. He assured me that the plane was an excellent flyer and would fly slow. He also said that with the buddy cord, he could take control if necessary. So off we go into the wild blue yonder! At this time, I am instantly hooked. We had 3 great flights and he said that he was supprised at how well I was doing. I obviously heard the phrase "I got it" as he took the controls several times in flight, but It made me feel better about flying his plane knowing that when I got into trouble, he could take over and save it. Well, we took it up for flight number 4 and shortly into the flight I was in a turn and lost my orientation. I said "Take it!" He did but the plane didnt seem to respond. It just rolled over, initiated and dive, and pretty much went straight into the mud in a dazzling explosion of balsa![:@] I believe my exact words were "Oh $*@T...I am SOOOO sorry!!!!" Well, as we made the long walk to the crash sight I repeatedly told him I would buy him a new plane. He kept countering with..."Its not your fault, I had control of the plane and it didnt respond to my commands. Something else happened and it was not pilot error". I still felt horrible.

So, I bought him a new Ultra Stick 60 ARF and showed up at his house with it a couple weeks later. He was suprised, and happy, but still upset with me that I bought him a plane after he told me I didnt have to. We opened it up and noticed the wing had been damaged in shipping. Well this wasnt acceptable to me so we got a hold of Hangar 9 and they sent us a new wing! (Awesome customer service!). At this point, the pres says "I've got an idea...come with me." He takes me into his 'plane room' and digs up the pieces of the destroyed airplane. He tells me that he will help me fix up the crashed plane and I can have it. Up until this point I thought he was a pretty bright fella. I looked at it and all that was left was the tail. Everything forward of the last inch of the wing saddle was destroyed. He assured me that it would take some time and a bit of wood but it was repairable. I am thinking...if this is repairable then you are an airplane god!!! Well, he has me over to his house over the next two weeks and I watch and learn as he takes measurements off his new ARF and proceeds to rebuild the entire fuselage!!! His new wing comes in from Hangar 9 and he gives me the damaged one! We tear off the covering and fix the wing all up. Then he tells me that he is buying an OS .91 for his new plane and I can have his old TT .61. Well now I get training on the engine as we tear it down and clean it up (It was burried about a foot down in the mud after the crash). I came up with a new radio and we installed it. This guy not only helped me learn to fly but he also taught me how to build\repair. We took it out and he flew it. No problems. Then we hooked up the buddy cord again! I am still flying this Ultra stick!

Maybe I am a little off but I consider my Ultra Stick to be my first "Kit". Heck, it was a pile of sticks when we started on it
My second kit and the one that I will be covering this weekend is a Kadet LT-40. This plane has been a joy to work on. It has also been a good learning experience. I have converted the wing to be a bolt on wing and I am making it a tail dragger! Much thanks needs to go to JNorton as well because he helped me out with knowing how to set up the tail wheel to be steerable!! I also made some home made mains out of 5\32 weld rod. The gear is light and straight and is much stronger that the aluminum gear on my Ultra Stick. Got help knowing how to make the gear from another guy at the club! RCU is also an awesome source of my learning. I plan on doing many more kits in the future. I think my next one may be a 4* 60.

GREAT Hobby!!!!

Thanks All,

Shaun
Old 03-27-2004, 09:45 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Shaun,
Great story. I've had three people at my local club take me under their respective wings. I've tried to repay them and been refused. They said something like teach the next guy. So here I am. I'm trying to teach the next guy here on RCU. It's harder than it looks however, so I try to always leave a link or draw a picture. I love this hobby.
John
Old 03-27-2004, 11:55 AM
Phlip

Like some of you other guys, my first kit was a Guillows something-or-other more than thirty years ago when I was ten or eleven years old. (I wonder if anyone's ever named a plane a "Something-or-other?")

As a teenager, I built a few C/L kits... Lil' Satan, Piper Tri Pacer... can't remember! Made a few up and built them from scratch, but they never flew very well. A Shoestring stunter with a Fox .35 was my best C/L plane.

My first R/C kit was a Falcon 56 my big brother bought me. I literally destroyed it while trying to build it! As I remember, I had the two wing halves built-up, but while I was trying to join them together, I hadn't put enough Titebond glue on the wing joiners, and it set-up before I could push the two wing halves together. When I tried to pull it back apart, I lost my grip, and my hand went right down the inside of the wing structure and broke every rib on one side [&o] I never fixed it or finished the plane.

My first success with R/C was with an A-tray I bought used. Later, I recovered it.

I got back into the hobby after a 15 year absence... model trains and starting a family filled that time.

I've since built a GP Pete 'n' Poke, a Sig Rascal, a Sig 1/6 Cub (for a friend) and I'm almost done with a GP RV-4. I still build F/F rubber power planes and the occasional C/L plane also. I don't have the budget or the storage room for all of the R/C planes I'd like to build, so I try to keep my kit building cheap, and I'm happy with a few good flying planes on hand.

Phil
Old 03-27-2004, 12:38 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Well, my first kit was a C/L Lil Wizard. I forget what the second C/L kit was but it didnt turn out well (first built up wing) and was unflyable. My third kit was a Sterling Baby Ringmaster C/L which was a blast to fly.
Some 30 years later, my first RC kit was a Goldberg Gentle Lady. RIP.
In following order:
Goldberg Electra:MIA
Clancy Yard Bee:RIP
Zagi 400X
Wedgie
Trick RC Razor:RIP
Bowman Hobbies Scooter E Epp:RIP
Bowman Hobbies Slope Scooter:MIA
Tower Kaos
Bowman Hobbies Super Scooter
Tower Uproar
Goldberg Electra to replace the MIA one.
Aspect Aviation Reflex:RIP
MM Glidertech F-86 EPP combat sloper:RIP
Aspect Aviation Hyperbee
1.5 meter Mini Blade composite slope racer
On the board: Super Sportster 20
On the board: Sig Wonder (80's vintage diecut)
In the wings: Super Sportster 40 to be converted to twin .30's
In the wings: Killer Kaos
In the wings: Super Kaos
In the wings: RCM Sporster 20
In the wings: Aspect Aviation Blitz
In the wings: Aspect Aviation Reflex
In the wings: Aspect Aviation Lil Bubba
In the wings: Combat Gremlin
In the wings: .049 Lil Bug
In the wings: one or two duplicate Kaos and Super Sportsters of various sizes.
In the wings: a Lil Wizard and Baby Ringmaster C/L kits just because.
The Tower Kaos is pretty neat to fly but is an extemely battered veteran by now and will probably be retired soon. Was a difficult build for me but taught me a lot. Wish they still made that kit.
Cant wait to start building the Killer Kaos taildragger version and one of the older Kaos .40's which will get a 4 stroke engine.
The Uproar was very easy to build and is a giggle to fly.
The Hyperbee is pretty fast and kind of hard to follow being a .15 sized screamer. Keeps ya on your toes!
Old 03-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Fubar-One

Great story!
I would agree that, considering how much rebuilding the US60 needed, it should qualify as a kit.
My first RC "kits" were pretty much ARF repairs which do teach you a lot about building and so forth. Gave me the confidence to build my first actual kit which was a Goldberg Gentle Lady.
There is, for me at least, nothing much that can compare to that first flight of a kit you've built, especially when you got it right and it flies well.
Welcome to the hobby!
Old 03-27-2004, 01:25 PM
tonystro

My story is similar to the other 'old?' timers My first 'kit', in the late 1050's, was a Cleveland something... three or four bals blocks and some balsa sheet stock. I had to tranfer the outlines to the wood by tracing the plans with carbon paper between them and the wood! That was followed with a Comet rubber band powered, freeflight Piper Cub. My first 'engined' model kit was given to me by an uncle when he entered the military in 1958. It was a 45 inch, P-47, control liner... a Top Flite kit maybe. Many, many, many sticks and the entire fuselage 'skin' was completed by shaping each stick and gluing in place against the previous one, then repeat. I do remember that this process kept me busy through one entire blizzardy Nebraska winter. I flew the plane with a Dooling .60 ignition.

About fifteen years, and many Top Flight-Sterling-Sig-Flite Line control line kits, later I built my first R/C kit; a Sterling Fledgling. That was followed by one of my all time favorites, the Midwest 'Sweet Stik.' To me it was both the first-timer trainer and the 'second' airplane. Since then, with two extended periods of being away from the hobby, I have built sport, standoff scale, pattern and racing models from Sterling, Top Flight, Midwest, Sig, Royal, Mark's Models, Dynaflight, and Balsa USA. In addition I have designed and built a few of my own.

These days, I tend to assemble, fly, and sell ARFs, while slowly working my way thru the 'I got to have that one' collection of kits, mostly advanced scale subjects. My justifications for this are; building seems to take a lot longer ( possibly because I no longer perform those 'all day & all night" buidling sessions), and an irrational attitude of "with my experience it outh to be near perfect before I take it to the field."

Current flyables are: ARFs - Sig 'Something Extra', Hangar 9 'Funtana' and a Hobbico 'Twinstar' awaiting first flight; built from kit or plans -Goldberg 'Tiger 2', Midwest 'Sweet Stik' and a Marutaka (Royal) 'Hien.'

Awaiting my attention are: Royal B-25 (kit), World Models P-82 (arf), Hobby Hangar OV-10 (kit), Mooney M-19 'Military Mite' (very preliminary design stage).
Old 03-27-2004, 01:30 PM
tonystro

Great story, Suprdink! I have been on both sides, giving and receiving help and advice. I believe the friendships and sense of 'team' are a major factor in why I keep returning to this hobby!
Old 03-27-2004, 04:53 PM
bojangle

Dan:
It's heck to get old (me) and lose your memory lol.. You guys jogged my brain, and I remember also building kits by Sterling (Ringmaster SR and JR), what a plane. Also by Veco, Hobby-Lobby (Senior Telemaster) (RIP) HOB and Goldberg planes. All good kits, some better than others.

Also, I made a mistake about the "Tribal planes". I think they were made my Veco, not Dumas, anyone confirm that?

When Tower brought out the Kaos I had to have one. But I copied all the parts, and still have the original kit, I think with all the pieces. I remember that after I sheeted the double taper wing, I had a bad warp. I soaked it in the tub for a few minutes and gave it a brutal twist while it dried, it came out perfect.

Have a question, has anyone ever found that one "perfect plane"?.. The best two planes I ever built were sold to some fellow flyers, have been kicking myself ever since. I have never drawn plans for my home builts, all in my head. I have actually built planes in my sleep, is this a dire sickness? I have 6 unfinished "dream planes", just didn't come out right, collecting dust in my garage attic. I think my final dream plane will be a sorta Kaos 40, about 3 to 4 pounds AUW, but with a 60 up front, and go ballistic. Forget the "Hover".

BO AMA 47446
Someone reminded me that when I get to heaven I will have my own wings, wonder if I'll "crash and burn". Knowing me, I'll probably try to modify them for less drag. Should I specify Selig or NACA in advance?? You guys are a great "brotherhood", keep the threads going.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:47 AM
saramos

I built a couple of balsa kits 35 years ago when I was 10-ish. One was a rubber powered biplane, the other a glider. Neither were R/C.
When I was 17, my dad arranged for after school flying lessons in his C150, and he also let me start on his Royal Corsair kit. I only got as far as building the vertical stab and rudder.

I had been wanting to get back into the hobby for a couple of years, but other activities always seemed to take priority. Well, last fall, I was telling my Father I was wanting to do a kit. He got excited, and was telling me about some plans for a plane he wanted to build. It was the Ziroli, 114", P-38. When he was in his 20s, he owned a full scale P38 and a BT-13, but sold them when he married my mother. I looked up the website while on the phone with him and said how great it would be to build a plane like that. But then I told him, with the new job and new house, this might not really be the best time to start building a kit. He understood, He has several unstarted and unfinished kits. It was a great conversation though, and I hung up the phone with a smile. I never imagined that it would be the last conversation I would have with him. He passed away two days later. My Mother said he had been much happier those last couple of days, than he had been in a long time.

I am just about done with the main wing of my Top Flight Spitfire Gold Edition. I consider this to be my first kit. I hope to be flying it by my birthday in July. The second kit I am going to build is the Royal P-38 that had just been started, that I found in my parents attic. Third kit, there's the Royal Corsair, that has only the vertical stab and rudder built, I found in his attic as well. By that point, I figure, I'll be ready to tackle a project like a Ziroli P-38 or a scratch built BT-13.
Old 03-28-2004, 03:22 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Well the first one would have been a Comet kit back in '54. F/F in the lated 50's and it was the Apache by who I don't remember but it was a 1/2-A. I then went to U/C and did the Lil Jumpin' Bean by Goldberg and many different ones after that. My first R/C was a Goldberg skylane 62 and what a great flier it was and sure wish I still had it but do have one in my shop about 1/2 done that I got from a guy, someday, oh ya someday. How many kits do I have??? Around 40-45 at last count and just to many to list and anyway I wouldn't be able to do it from memory.[&o]
Old 03-28-2004, 05:39 PM
Jimmbbo

After building rubber powered Comet and Guillow's kits, started powered airplanes in the 60s with CL airplanes - .049 - 19, including several Cox plastic RTF 1/2As, Carl Goldberg Satans, Lil Satans, Jumping Beans, Ranger; Sterling Corsair; Veco Papoose.

Started RC with sailplanes in the late '70s, was just moving into powered airplanes, then took 15 years off due to job time pressures and other interests...

COMPLETED or IN PROGRESS - Hobbico AvistarGP J-3 .40 ARF 3/4 complete,

ON THE SHELF-
GP .40 Extra ARF, .40 T-6
Kyosho Sptfire, PT17 ARF
TF .60 P-39, P-51, Spitfire kits
Skyshark TBM Kit

Cheers!

Jim
Old 03-28-2004, 10:09 PM
Azcat59

My first model was a Japanese Zero by Ace Whittman (the publishing company) in 1943 or so. Used Dad's old razor blades to cut out the zillion tiny parts from the print wood. And it flew, sort of...

Jumping ahead, in 1947 or so I got my first engine, a K&B 29 on ignition, and promptly crashed a U/Control "trainer" that grossly overweight. Sent the engine to K&B for repair, conned my older brother into buying me a K&B 24, and duplicated the first crash... Sent it in, and by then the 29 came back, and I put it in a Goldberg "Zing", a Mustang-looking fast little airplane that beginners were not supposed to try to fly. I flew it off the cow pasture....until the bull ran me off.[]

High school sports, cars and girls shut down my modeling until I was serving in the Army in Japan, where I got back into U/C and taught modeling and photography in the post craft shop as an off-duty job. Made more doing that than I did serving as a "grunt"!

Late fifties, in college....designed my own planes, had a number of them published, and took 5th in the 1960 Dallas Nats with my Phoenician design. Dropped back out of modeling in 1964.

Bit by the RC bug in 1976, first plane was a Q-Tee, with a Cox .049. Then four years later into the pattern game for eleven years. By now I've built 112 RC airplanes, mostly from kits, some from magazine plans. My fleet overwhelms my storage.....18 up to 1.5 glow powered semi-scale aerobatic.

Have I enjoyed it....you bet! The building, the flying, and the friendships I've been fortunate to make!

Clair
AMA 15654
Old 03-29-2004, 11:13 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

O yes I remember the "Chief"..flew one in high school (I'm 66). did rubber powered, free flight the works. out of the hobby for a long time but returned about 4 years ago. first build was a Goldberg Eagle 2. Still have it..the wife learned on it also . Last summer tried my first scratch build... the 81" Uravitch Bronco twin... a real nice flier. Latest build was the Airsail Piper Tomahawk..nice kit..need to get it covered.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:42 AM
Gollywock

Like several others, I started out with Comet 'dime' kits, whenever I could afford them. Really got hooked on power free flight with a Veco Dakota along about 1953. First RC kit was an Ace Whiz Kid single channel pulse. (still have the radio, works great. Thought about a Jr. Falcon).
Although main interest is still rubber and power f/f, I'm getting more into old time r/c assist and 1/2A Texaco.
I don't know exactly how many unstarted kits I have, surely 35-40. On the bench right now is a rubber powered coupe, and I'm finishing up a Scientific Coronet, three channel.
Thanx for the great thread- Jim

BTW GrnBrt, the Apache was a Veco kit, I campaigned one during 1960. Pretty good flyer, although designed for Paa event- Jim
Old 03-30-2004, 09:15 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first kit was 19 years ago, a gullows FW-190 rubber kit, I put the cox .049 engine in it and set it free. Literally, I let it go and never saw it again! she flew so smoothly and made the best long straight flight, I must have skipped that section on adding rudder to it. So now I'm hooked, I went to my parents and told them the plane flew away because I could not control it. Mom wasn't amused, dad however(being an ex-A/F sargent), had a light bulb go on in his head and a few weeks later he gave me a Goldberg eagle 2. I started construction and in two weeks I had it framed up and sanded so smooth it was flawless, luckily, it was now my birthday(apr 16th) and my b-day & paper route money was used to get the Super Tigre G-45 ring and the JR 4 channel radio along with the monokote and iron. (about 200.00 back then)I flew the crap out of that plane and soon I started to aquire more and more planes, but I still brought my egale 2 to the field everytime. The last day of it's life I flew from 8 am to 9 pm and it was getting dark so I looked at the new gallon of fuel I bought and it only had enough for 1/2 flight. I decided to do one more run before packing it in and leaving, unfortunately I lost it due to the RX pack in the plane running down too low. Back then esv testers were almost nonexistent, so I just learned the hard way on overflying the batteries.
Skip ahead 18 years now and I have flown and built so many planes that it's hard to have one that stands out, but now I have at least three waiting for the table at all times. I am always completing or rebuilding someones plane that they bought or crashed, but my current plane on the board is a GSP Zero that has full retracts and I'm adding flaps to it as well, next is either my GP super skybolt or the Lanier Extra 300s kit I just got. Recently two days ago I just got the Phoenix sukhoi off the table and now that is in the air . It only took me 10-11 hour to complete(minus glue drying time) and I find that sukhoi to be such a sweetheart in the air, now I'm worried that I'll spend all my time at the field! Below is a few pic's of just a small hand full of the planes I've built or assembled it the past two years since I got my digital camera.
Enjoy and thanks for listening.,
Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36642.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	117097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34972.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	117098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ua70331.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	117099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84030.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	117100  
Old 03-31-2004, 08:11 PM
dicknadine

1st one?? it was a super big -JUMBO- MEGOW , FLYING QAKER some time some around 1937/38. paper route pennies bought a NEW BROWN JR. MOTOR-- still have it. never did get to fly it, dad moved too many times. anyhow it got lost when I went into service/airforce. am still at it- SCRATCH Building like CRAZY, always a couple more in process at 79+ yrs old. dick
Old 03-31-2004, 09:34 PM
bojangle

I just turned 65, hope I'm still building at 79.

I have yet to build a kit that is "laser cut", but I notice from pictures that the wood appears burned. Also, they don't recommend any sanding or custom fitting, just glue as is. Heck, half the fun of building a kit is finetuning all the parts. Do I really want a kit that can be "built in 2 evenings"?

Some of you with experience, what is your opinion of the laser cutting?

BO
Old 03-31-2004, 10:39 PM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Kits---gotta love em--here are three or four of my current!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57165.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	117421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58167.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	117422   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51857.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	117423  
Old 03-31-2004, 11:17 PM
dicknadine

can't say-- never had one. its SCRATCH BUILD-- SCRATCH BUILD, better yet when its to your own plans. dick
Old 04-01-2004, 10:43 AM
Nebbie

Kits that I have completed: None
Kits in progress: Goldberg Tiger 2 that I had to buy a new wing kit for. Tryed to adapt it for retracts and it looked horrible. Also a Sig Kadet Senior that will be my night flyer.
Kits on the shelf: Sig Kougar.

Still looking for what my next kit will be. The LHS will order anything that I want. They ordered the Kadet and the Kougar. When they came in they were put in the front window marked $75/ea. I "rescued" them from the window and have been having a blast with the Kadet. Though I haven't started the wings yet. I want to adapt it for ailerons, and as this is the first stick kit that I have done I started on the tail feathers to see how the kit went together.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:17 PM
airbatic

Hello All.

My first kit in 1977 was the Sig Kadet, three channel.

Many years later when I got back into this hobby, the Sig Kadet again but with ailerons.

I've now "grown" up and built Sig's 1/6 and 1/4 scale Piper Cub J-3 and Sig 1/6 scale Citabria- that's airbatic spelled back wards. In progress and nearly finished Balsa USA 1/3 Sopwith Pup from plans only, no kit but scratch built. I'm reworking the upper wing's dihedral. I think too, too, too much kept it from lifting off. I'll let everyone know how maiden flight goes when ever that is.

Kraus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.