Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Nobler

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite Nobler

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 12:19 AM
oceandiv
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Nobler

Has anyone already built this kit? If so what engine do you recommend?
Old 07-09-2002, 02:49 AM
RCPROPSNAPPER
My Feedback: (22)

Default Top Flite Nobler

I have my kit almost finished. We have 3 people at my club field
that have built and are flying these planes. The one I saw fly has
an Enya 40SS engine and flys well. I am putting an Enya 50CX on
mine. I built mine with SpringAir retracts and the flaps. I thought
the kit went together easily and really liked the instruction
manual. Good luck with your kit.
Old 07-09-2002, 02:26 PM
lnorris

Default Top Flite Nobler

I've got one still in the box and am curious as to how well they fly with the engines you've seen on it.

Also which Spring Air retracts did you get? How much does it weigh?
Old 07-09-2002, 02:42 PM
RCPROPSNAPPER
My Feedback: (22)

Default Top Flite Nobler

The airplane flies very well with the Enya 40SS. It is sensitive in
the roll mode and the owner flies in low rates all the time. I will
let you know what the finished weight is on mine when it is
completed. I am using standard 40 size Spring Air retracts.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:21 PM
lnorris

Default Top Flite Nobler

Do you remember what model # they are? The Spring Air website really doesn't list out enough information about the various models to really tell which is the standard retracts.

Also air or mechanical?

Thanks and good luck with the build! I look forward to hearing about it.
Old 07-09-2002, 06:54 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default NOBLER

I built one of the original R/C Noblers in the mid 70's. Great flying airplane. I would equate it to some of the more modern funfly planes like the Sig Something Extra. Mine had flaps that where coupled with the elevator since we did not have computer radios back then. The original had a built up nose section that made for a very solid and good looking aiplane. I see the new version has a plastic cowling...hmmmm!

Be very carefull of the throws. Start with the mininum recommend throw. On mine it was a roller coaster ride till I got the thing back on the ground and retrimmed it. It is very sensetive to controls.. It would flat spin so pretty. But be carefull and have enough altitude and use power to exit the flat spin. I spun mine in all the way in twice by backing off the power and could not recover. I was very fortunate to only brake the muffler strap and rudder horn. Hmmmm the good old days.
Built a couple of the control line versions too.
Thank you George A. where ever you are.

As a subnote... Brodak Models will make copies of the original plans if your interested in scratch building one.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:53 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Nobler

Is it me, or has the new r/c kit like, almost totally changed the classic lines? The box art doesn't look very much like the c/l one I had as a wee chap.

I'm told the original r/c kit was almost identical to the original Aldrich c/l design in terms of moments and lines; hence the twitchiness TOYMAKER spoke of...

Steve
Old 07-10-2002, 01:33 AM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Top Flite Nobler

It has changed some, My father was huge into C/L years ago and just sold his 2 noblers he still had and the nose was longer and the rudder was more forward, from what I understood from the original R/C Nobler is that it was heavy and did not fly as well as other planed in the same class designed for R/C so I think it flopped in the market of R/C The new one does resemble the old one in it's looks but by no means is it the same plane. A very good plane made to perform better as R/C and I plan to get one for maybe my winter build.

Dauntae
Old 07-10-2002, 01:20 PM
TOYMAKER
My Feedback: (6)

Default R/C NOBLER...ORIGINAL 70'S DESIGN

The one I had flew great as far as I can remember. You gotta understand it has been a few years since I last saw my old Nobler and by todays standards it probobly was a tad heavy compared to the overpowered hovering machines that are built today. I still plan on getting the original plans from Brodak and scratch building one. I can assure you it can be built light by selecting the right wood and ply.
You are right the new version just does quite look the same.

I plan on putting my 27 yr old O.S. 40 Shnurlly ported fire breathen 2 stroke on it. It still powers a 27yr original Bridi Kaos that I have........ damn..... I'm aging myself.

Does anyone have pics of the old version for comparision?
Old 07-25-2002, 09:54 PM
bthawkfan

Default Top Flite Nobler

I have put an O.S. in the nose of my Nobler with a slimline muffler. You can fly this thing using only 1/4 throttle. I don't have the retracts though.

Question?: Where is the C.G. range for this plane. I bought it off someone else, and I think it flies somewhat tail heavy. It is balanced right on the spar.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:55 PM
bthawkfan

Default Top Flite Nobler

P.S. I put an O.S. .46 in the nose.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:13 AM
Christie

Default My first flight with a 1975? RCNobler

After weeks of rain, hail and wind, yesterday it was of to the field to try out my rcNobler. This is not one of the new Top-Flite kits, but an airplane I found hanging in a storeroom about 15 years ago.

As a kid I dreamed about flying this beauty but circumstances beyond my control made sure that I never got the opportunity to learn to fly rc until April 2002.

Without going into too much detail, I taught myself to fly with a Soarstar, graduated to an electric funfly, then tried a Kwikstik.25(rudder and elevator). I was getting quite comfortable with the Stick, but knew that I was gonna try the Nobler long before being deemed ready for it by my VERY KNOWLEDGABLE clubmates.

So I went ahead and tried it anyway.....

At the field, the Nobler didn't want to start at all, I checked the fuel lines, tank, etc. cause it just didn't want to draw fuel!!!!

When I switched on the receiver so the throttle could open the problem was cured :stupid:

The tailwheel sucks, I will have to modify that, but by placing it on the runway aiming at the left side of the runway, I got it in the air before it torqued too much to the left.

I had to trim ailerons a lot(the tailplane was broken of by the anonomous previous owner and glued on skew) but except for that it flys like a dream! Lots of speed, but slows down well.

On the second flight the Muffler fell off!!!! My fault, I didn't screw it in properly!!! I landed it a bit hot, and here my inexperience really showed, I took off again, with the muffler still hanging on only by the fuel line!!!

Anyway I landed again and was amazed to find that the muffler was still attached to the airplane.

OK, I'm gonna stop now, just wanted you to know that this beautifull older bird is back in the air, has not shown any signs of ANY bad tendencies, it didn't even drop a wing when the engine quit when I was vertical going into a loop!! and that it is not much more difficult to fly that a trainer!!!

Cheers

Christie in South Africa
Old 08-20-2002, 10:40 AM
Hisham

Default R/C Report Magazine issue #193

check this August 2002 issue
for a subjective review of this plane...!
Regards
Hisham.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Hisham

Default Ohhhhhhhhh

Engine used in this review is
ST GS .45 ABC.
Old 08-20-2002, 10:29 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Top Flite Nobler

I read that RCR Review and it almost made me go out and buy one!

Jerry
Old 08-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Hisham

Default Top Flite Nobler

tailskid,
I envy you man, I need about three weeks (minimum)
in order to hopefully get mine .....
Old 08-22-2002, 12:02 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Top Flite Nobler

So in other words, you get the August issue in AUGUST...

Can't understand why the cover date is always so much ahead of the calendar!

Jerry
Old 08-25-2002, 10:17 PM
crosswind

Default Top Flite Nobler

I have the old RC Nobler and still fly it occasionally. Stole the radio out of it for another plane, so it's hanging now. The flaps are coupled with elevator and it will really do square corners. Mine is a bit nose heavy and does not want to spin... much less flat spin. I thought maybe the coupled flaps had something to do with it, but if I understand Toymaker, his was the old one with coupled flaps and would spin just fine. If I were building it today, I'd put separate aileron servos in the wing instead of using the bell crank system. The biggest disadvantage of the airplane is the wing is not removable. It wants to ground loop if you don't watch it real careful, but other than that flies just great. Just like my CL Nobler did!
Old 04-01-2003, 11:05 PM
Freshconnekt

Default Top Flite Nobler

I currently just finished my top flite nobler a month ago. I have an 0.S. 46FX up front and it flies great. The instructions tell you that you can use a .25 to .50 size engine. Stick with the upper range because the nobler is a pretty heavy airplane for its dementions.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:00 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default Top Flite Nobler

I don't think that there are but a few of us that have built or flown this plane. And I think I am the only one that does in any of the clubs in my area. I'm not sure why because it really flies great and gets a good bit of attention. Of course most folks around here fly ARFs or IMAC...

Mine has a 46FX too. It is very fast, precise-handling, and just about unlimited with the motor tuned right. But it really needs power to pull it through the tight maneuvers that it is capable of. Putting anything smaller than a 46 on it would make it a lot less fun.

Take a look at the pics in my gallery.
Old 05-12-2003, 12:19 AM
CHOCOFAN

Default MY NOBLER

JUST FINISHED MINE LAST WEEK,CAME OUT A LITTLE NOSE HEAVY PUT AN 1.OZ IN THE REAR W/ .46LA UP FRONT FLY'S PRETTY COOL,BUT WHEN I'M COMING IN FOR A LANDING SHE COMES IN PRETTY QUICK BUT CONTROLABLE. I PUT INDIVIDUAL FLAP SERVOS IF A HAD A BETTER RADIO I WOULD WORK THE FLAPS TOGETHER WITH AILERONS THE RADIO I HAVE IS THE FUTABA T6XA IT'S KINDA OLD BUT IT WORK'S. I FIXED MINE UP WITH A LITTLE MORE TAIL SURFACE ON THE ELEVATOR & RUDDER SO IT CAN BE MORE RESPONSIVE. I TRIED AN INVERTED FLATSPINN THE OTHER DAY ,GOT IT TO SPIN BUT A LITTLE DIFFICULT TO GET IT TO FLAT OUT COMPLETELY.
Old 05-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Build-n-flyer-RCU
My Feedback: (4)

Default Top Flite Nobler

I have been flying mine since February now and have about 25-30 flights on it. The plane will do much more than my current ability will allow, but I am learning fast!

The Nobler is a great flying plane but I haven't seen any others around here yet. The only negative comment that I have heard is that it is so small, especially considering the effort needed to build it. Top Flite should think about a 60 size...