Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Slow Poke 25 size

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Slow Poke 25 size

Old 07-23-2004, 06:59 PM
valentrd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Slow Poke 25 size

I have a quick question- Would you all think it's worth buidling the smaller size Slow Poke plane with Ailerons ? It has rudder as you know, but I am torn on adding some ailerons.

What do you all think ??

I would leave the 25 size OS MAx engine in place.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 07:04 AM
iowanspctr

Default RE: GP Slow Poke 25 size

I built one as per plans, I don't really like it very much. Seems to fly within a pretty narrow speed range and stalls hard if too slow. I had to add a lot of weight to make it balance and I think it had a bad effect on flying characteristics. That said, if I built another, I would straighten out the polyhedral on the wing end and use barn door ailerons. I would also consider extending the nose to correct the balance.
Old 07-24-2004, 02:39 PM
DaveB

I pretty much agree with iowanspctr about the "Slowpoke". I built one per the plans (no ailerons) and it flew O.K. but not great. It needed weight in the nose. It was good for a slow "Sunday flier", but not much else. I don't think ailerons will do much unless you make some design changes. I would however recommend strengthening the wing tips. They're too light and will break if you stare at them.

Good luck!

DaveB
Old 07-24-2004, 03:04 PM
valentrd

Thanks Guys for your Input on the slow poke. I will follow your input,

Thanks again

rob
Old 07-24-2004, 07:38 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I put ailerons on the inboard section of one for a friend. They were large and have a lot of deflection. They work quite well and the little plane is a lot of fun with a OS 26 FS on it.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:30 PM
collier

I built a 25 size slowpoke with ailerons, but the top of the wing is also built flat(no polyhedral).Flys great and gets alot of attention at the field.I'm not sure if it would be much better I never flew mine with a 25 on it.I think it would fly but slow as in the name.Put a 46la on mine lost the name.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:31 PM
john_s3
My Feedback: (1)

When I Built This Model I Put Ailerons On The Outboard Wing Section.I Used HS-81 Servos And Took 1 1/2" Of Dihedral Out Of The Wing.I Should Have Only Dropped The Tip 1".I Think It Might Have Floated Better.The Plane Was Under Powered With A Enya .19 I Ended Up With A OS .40 On The Ship.
It Flew Great But The Barrel Rolls Were Just That Barrel Rolls.Nothing tight About Them.The Plane Is Better With Ailerons Then With Out I Am Shure ,I Never Liked How A 3 Chanel Planes Fly.Enjoy Building The Kit.Remember That Only 3% Of R/C Flyer's Build There Own Kit Any More.It Will Be A Sad Day When The Last Kit Builder Is Gone.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:39 PM
collier

Only 3% build! That's too bad.It is the only way to have something different.I put a round cowl on my slowpoke.Mounted the engine on a flat firewall and cenered it in the fuse.How is that for different![&:]Can't get that with an ARF.
Old 07-31-2004, 07:18 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest problem with this kit and all of Great planes kits is they are too heavy to start with. As I've said before the quality is excellent in the kits but too much hardwood and over engineered structures make for a very heavy kit. I threw out half the wood in my kit and used minimal hardwoods as it was only to flit and not do aerobatics as it really was never designed for that anyhow.
The point is that it floats on a 15 and is quite an enjoyable flyer,however you shouldn't have to do this when the purpose of the kit was origionally to be a slow gentle fun flying plane.
I tried to tell the folks from G.P that at the WRAM show but I guess I was talking to the wall as I only got blank stares from them.
The point of my post is that their kits are very good but if you have a specific purpose for the kit you just might have to get a little creative on your own part to achieve what your looking for With all great planes kits weight reduction is the first order of business.
Dennis