Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My First Kit plane can anybody help me pick one

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My First Kit plane can anybody help me pick one

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 11:22 PM
valentineiii
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Kit plane can anybody help me pick one

This will be my first kit plane does anybody have any suggestions I bought a Dynaflite giant scale plane but it's gonna be too hard to build ..Does anybody know what will be a good beginners kit for me to start off with thats close to a scale plane....Please help me
Old 08-01-2004, 11:27 PM
cassat10
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: My First Kit plane can anybody help me pick one

hello,
Actually, the dynaflite kits are some of the simpler ones around I think due to not so many pieces to assemble. What is it that you are finding difficult?
Top Flite also makes scale kits but I don't hink they will be any easier.
Maybe we can help answer some of your question here on the forums.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:28 PM
stevehord

Any of the Great Planes kits are straight forward and fairly easy to build. If you are just starting in RC flying get the PT40 kit as it is a great learning kit as well as a great trainer to learn how to fly. Remember, have fun while you're doing it! <grin>
Old 08-02-2004, 01:22 AM
Tired Old Man

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the engine you have available, any of the 4 Star series of planes by Sig are good entry level kits for builders. Many of the areas that are normally difficult to build have been simplified. They are all good flyers, and they provide a good "base' to build your experience on.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:31 PM
phread59

Cassat is right, the Dynaflight kits are good first kits. If a scale warbird is your goal. And a 60 ish size is ok. The Skyshark kits are nice. You may have some trouble with them if you never did any building. The guys who reccomend a 4* are right too, great first kit. A Goldberg Tiger II is a good one too. Good luck with whatever kit you end up with.

Mark Shuman
Old 08-03-2004, 12:56 AM
spokman
My Feedback: (2)

Think he's looking for scale or semi scale. Didn't say he needed a trainer either..

IMHOP I think he will find building any scale plane hard for a first build and covering it scale will be a whole other ball game.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:27 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

i was thinking about building a 4*60 not because its easy to build but because i know a guy thats selling a brand new kit (unopened) for $80
Old 08-03-2004, 08:10 AM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 4*60, but it is the ARF. However, it is a blast to fly and from what I read it is a pretty easy, straightforward build. My first kit was the SIG Somethin Extra and even though I made a few mistakes, there wasn't anything that was very difficult to complete. I don't know what your flying skills are so maybe the Somethin Extra isn't the right type of plane, but I am having a great time flying int. Here is the thread that I posted on it:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_19...tm.htm#1914644
Old 08-03-2004, 10:44 PM
gare
My Feedback: (2)

I have to chime in with my 4* vote. I found the 4*60 to be very enjoyable to build. I'm sure the 40 size and 120 size are very comparable.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM
Bayou Talker

If you are looking for a small, fun to fly plane for a first build, I would suggest a Goldberg Freedom 20. I built one a few years ago and it was fun to build and fun to fly. It was also reasonably priced and coupled with an O. S. 26 Surpass, it was a great value for the money.

I am thinking about building another one someday just to have a cheap to fly, easy to carry around, 4 channel rig.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 PM
bldrums

Sig 4*40 or if you want something a little different, Bruce Tharpe Venture 60. Both designed by Bruce and very simple to build plus easy to fly.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Red B.

Although not even close to scale I would suggest the SIG SE as a first kit (I presume that your flying skills are beyond the beginner stage).
The kit is laser cut and IMHO of very high quality. It will teach you some building techniques that you will find useful for later scale jobs, e.g. partially sheeting the wing with balsa (D-box in front of wing spar), building a radio compartment hatch, attaching a canopy to the fuselage, creating small fillets between turtledeck stringers etcetera.

/Red B.
Old 08-18-2004, 08:16 PM
paragallo3D

ORIGINAL: stevehord

Any of the Great Planes kits are straight forward and fairly easy to build. If you are just starting in RC flying get the PT40 kit as it is a great learning kit as well as a great trainer to learn how to fly. Remember, have fun while you're doing it! <grin>
I agree with that PT-40, i have a few friends who built one.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
Highflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest a laser-cut kit. you not really going to find a beginner scale kit. I think an SR batteries kit would be a great choice. they are about as easy as it gets pretty much falls together and the instruction manual walks you through every step even covering. If it was me i would go for an easy to build kit and then move up to something scale