Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

skyshark tempest spinner

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

skyshark tempest spinner

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 03:42 PM
tflame
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default skyshark tempest spinner

Hello Guys
I need to know if anybody makes a 3.75 inch Spinner that would look scale to fit the skyshark Hawker Tempest kit. The front ring on the cowling is 3.75 inch and the spinner that I got with the kit is 3.5 inch leaving a step of .125 which doesn`t look good. Is my first Skyshark kit and I just received it. Any body building one? the help will be appreciated.
Yours
Tflame

modeler since 1963
Old 08-05-2004, 07:04 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: skyshark tempest spinner

T flame,
Try sky shark, they have come out with spinners for their kits.
[link=http://www.skysharkrc.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=15]Skyshark Spinners[/link]
John
Old 08-05-2004, 07:10 PM
jgraham10
My Feedback: (3)

T flame,
Sorry did not read that it came with the kit.
I looked at CB associates since they make the spinner for Skyshark RC and they do not make a 3.75 the next size up is a 4 inch spinner.
Tru Turn makes a 3.75 inch but you will pay top dollar for them.
Might call skyshark and see if they know of a larger spinner and voice your concern with them.
John
Old 08-05-2004, 07:24 PM
tflame

Hello jgraham10
I had called them up but they have no solution.they said that if they changed the FG cowling to reduce it to fit the CB spinner the motor would not fit and that they haven`t found a Mfg that would make right size for the volume of kits they make. not a reassuring situation here.they do have aluminum spinners for some of the other kits they sell at a reasonable price I don`t know why they don`t have it for the tempest. Here is hoping somebody has an answer for this problem.Thanks for the help jgraham10.
Tflame

Modeler since 1963
Old 08-06-2004, 12:02 AM
w0mbat

Unfortunately we do not have a 3-3/4" spinner to fit the Tempest kit. We really didn't want to get into the business of making and selling spinners but we were forced to because we could not find anyone to supply a scale spinner in this size range at a reasonable price. Hence, we would either have to sell our kits without spinners and have no scale spinners available anywhere, find reasonable alternatives from a US supplier, or have our own spinners produced overseas. Since we need to order a minimum of 1000 pcs to have our spinners produced, we were not able to commit to this quantity for the Tempest since they are not the fastest selling kits that we have.

When you consider that the spinner backplate will be approx 1/8" from the cowl, the spinner really isn't that much smaller than the cowl. I have taken a photo to show that the difference is less than 1/8" on all sides. I don't think the difference would be noticable to the average modeler. Like someone else pointed out, there are alternatives from Tru-Turn but the scale outlines will not be held and the price will be much higher than our free spinner that is currently included in the kit.

Some of the confusion may have come from the updated pictures in our advertising. When we built that airplane, CB Associates was out of stock on the spinner so we were forced to make our own. This only took about a week and a half of tortuous labor that we would not wish on anyone else!!

If someone would kindly purchase about 1000 Tempest kits, we will put the 3-3/4" spinner order in tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75632.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	161070  
Old 08-06-2004, 07:17 PM
tflame

Hello wombat
Thanks for the reply. I bought the kit after going to the skyshark site because I liked the way it looks. I haven`t seen any reviews or heard of anybody building it. The model on the pictures looks great you did a real good job of building and finishing the Tempest.
I will be setting the kit aside until I find a solution to the spinner matter. Placing the spinner 1/8 inch from the cowling leaves to big a gap for my taste.I looked at the Zinger spun aluminum 4" spinner and wonder if it could be cut down to 3.75 and a new backplate made but don`t know if it is the right shape.
I looked at the tru turn spinners but they are expensive and the wrong shape.
Tflame
Modeler since 1963