Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Extra 300

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Extra 300

Old 05-07-2018, 09:09 AM
  #1826  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Glad that your Extra finally took to the skies and had a successful maiden flight. You mentioned that the model does not glide well but is well balanced, a statement that just seems quite out of place when referring to a CG Extra. I would definitely check your balance again as it sounds like it could be nose heavy. What is your present CG location ? The Extra does have a nose over tendency during take off runs especially on grass strips but an easy fix with an alum l/gear is to rotate the main wheels forward about 1" by adding a 3/8" thk. wedge piece between the top of the gear and the fuse. It is also a very good practice to hold a tad of up elevator during the take off run on most tail dragger types. Regarding the fuel consumption of your DLE30, what size tank are you using and last but not least how much does the model weigh ?

Last edited by karolh; 05-07-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 AM
  #1827  
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK AK
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

New guy to this thread here. I've enjoyed reading up on all of the previous builds, it looks to be an easy build and a great flyer. I just picked up an unstarted kit at a local swap meet, and plan to build it over this next winter. I have a number of Super Tigre 90s for power, and the landing gear is being made by TNT as we speak.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:29 AM
  #1828  
cdavis1111
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I am pulling my 25 year old extra down from the rafters and starting on a conversion to electric.

I'm thinking RimFire 1.20, CC Talon 90 ESC, 6s 8000Mah Lipo to start. That should give me pretty good performance and flight time as long as I can keep the weight under control.

Has anyone had experience good or bad with a similar setup?
Old 09-14-2018, 05:34 AM
  #1829  
mrhp
My Feedback: (49)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: coolidge, AZ
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdavis1111 View Post
I am pulling my 25 year old extra down from the rafters and starting on a conversion to electric.

I'm thinking RimFire 1.20, CC Talon 90 ESC, 6s 8000Mah Lipo to start. That should give me pretty good performance and flight time as long as I can keep the weight under control.

Has anyone had experience good or bad with a similar setup?
No electric yuck
Old 09-14-2018, 07:59 AM
  #1830  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by cdavis1111 View Post
I am pulling my 25 year old extra down from the rafters and starting on a conversion to electric.

I'm thinking RimFire 1.20, CC Talon 90 ESC, 6s 8000Mah Lipo to start. That should give me pretty good performance and flight time as long as I can keep the weight under control.

Has anyone had experience good or bad with a similar setup?
I have no idea how that setup would perform but would ask why go electric ?? The weight of that size battery and motor is approx. 3.5 lbs. My Extra was built in 95 and is currently powered by a Ralph Cunningham converted to CDI Zenoah G23 and is a super nice flier at an AUW of 9.5 lbs. Any of the current light weight and powerful 20cc gas engines would be a excellent power choice for a CG Extra 300 ..... just my 0.02 cents.

Last edited by karolh; 09-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:14 AM
  #1831  
mrhp
My Feedback: (49)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: coolidge, AZ
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Carl would be rolling in his grave
Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 AM
  #1832  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mrhp View Post
Carl would be rolling in his grave
You can say that again !!!
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 AM
  #1833  
mrhp
My Feedback: (49)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: coolidge, AZ
Posts: 132
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
You can say that again !!!
You know its true
Old 10-03-2018, 04:39 PM
  #1834  
imcrazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi.
I have 2 extra300 kits. I was thing of a dle20 gas engine if I decide to build one.
My question is how is the vibration of the engine?
Regards
Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 AM
  #1835  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by imcrazy View Post
Hi.
I have 2 extra300 kits. I was thinking of a dle20 gas engine if I decide to build one.
My question is how is the vibration of the engine?
Regards


A DLE 20cc would be an excellent power choice for your CG Extra. This engine is a fairly smooth running unit and once securely mounted there should no unwanted vibrations.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:57 PM
  #1836  
Steve
My Feedback: (54)
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ashton, ID
Posts: 2,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I've also got a kit to build, as well as a DLE 20 to stuf in it. I'll post pics of the process. Looking at TNT for the gear fix. I've got a few of their gear sets.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:26 AM
  #1837  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

A TNT or equivalent aluminium or CF gear is the way to go as the Extra's stock wire main gear is a bit on the weak side especially if you fly off grass.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:22 AM
  #1838  
Steve
My Feedback: (54)
 
Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Ashton, ID
Posts: 2,189
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by karolh View Post
A TNT or equivalent aluminium or CF gear is the way to go as the Extra's stock wire main gear is a bit on the weak side especially if you fly off grass.
Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 AM
  #1839  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello,

I have been working on the CAD Conversion of the Carl Goldberg Extra 300 - 68" wing span. I only have sheet one of the plans. Still looking for sheet two (wing and stab) to be able to finish it up. I took a guess at the stab based on what is on the sheet one. Take a look let me know what you think. I'll get a full size PDF posted once they're complete.

If anyone has a scan of sheet 2 that they can send me, I would greatly appreciate it.
The instruction manual is available here: http://www.greatplanes.com/manuals/discontinued.php

Old 02-23-2019, 12:04 AM
  #1840  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Sorry dupilcate post

Last edited by Wizardofflight; 02-23-2019 at 12:06 AM. Reason: dupilcate post
Old 02-23-2019, 04:54 AM
  #1841  
karolh
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mandeville, JAMAICA
Posts: 6,614
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

It's all looking quite good so far. I unfortunately don't have scan of sheet 2 and it's a pity I am located so far away from you as I do have a full set of plans.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 AM
  #1842  
ExtraCGScott
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ripon, WI
Posts: 28
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi Wizard,
Where are you located? I have three originals of sheet 2. Send me a PM with address.

​​​​​​Best, Scott.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 AM
  #1843  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thank you!! Message sent.
Alan
Old 02-24-2019, 03:41 AM
  #1844  
imcrazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What is your plan after you get the cad finished?
Are you going to Lazer cut the wood for this kit?

Old 02-24-2019, 06:26 AM
  #1845  
jimamosn8cah
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: N.Canton, OH
Posts: 21
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hi Alan,
Your page 1 plans look great, I think you've got the hardest part done. When you draw the wing are you considering making any enhancements such as adding separate aileron servos, and maybe a 2 piece wing? Also, I've scratch built wings before, and the primary concern is the wing jig so that everything comes out straight. The Goldberg kit used break away tabs on a flat surface, along with the jig for getting the dihedral correct, will this be included in your drawing? You could also add capabilities for a 1/4 inch rod wing jig if you draw out individual wing ribs. This is more common in control line, but works well.

Thank you for sharing your efforts!
Jim

Last edited by jimamosn8cah; 02-24-2019 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:06 AM
  #1846  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Imcrazy - I am just a modeler and a draftsman, I have no desire to manufacture kits. Once I'm finished they'll be posted and make available the DXF file to those that want it. I'll also send them to OuterZone for posting as I have done with my other conversions.

Alan

Originally Posted by imcrazy View Post
What is your plan after you get the cad finished?
Are you going to Lazer cut the wood for this kit?

Old 02-24-2019, 09:15 AM
  #1847  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thank you, I like to recreate the plans as originally published and then a work up the mods sperate. This thread has outlined a number of improvements that I would like to document. I perfer to use a wing jig also. I can add the 1/4" holes easy enough, say 4" on center?If I can get acurate info on the ribs I will add the breakaway tabs.


Originally Posted by jimamosn8cah View Post
Hi Alan,
Your page 1 plans look great, I think you've got the hardest part done. When you draw the wing are you considering making any enhancements such as adding separate aileron servos, and maybe a 2 piece wing? Also, I've scratch built wings before, and the primary concern is the wing jig so that everything comes out straight. The Goldberg kit used break away tabs on a flat surface, along with the jig for getting the dihedral correct, will this be included in your drawing? You could also add capabilities for a 1/4 inch rod wing jig if you draw out individual wing ribs. This is more common in control line, but works well.

Thank you for sharing your efforts!
Jim
Old 02-24-2019, 10:14 AM
  #1848  
imcrazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wizardofflight View Post
Imcrazy - I am just a modeler and a draftsman, I have no desire to manufacture kits. Once I'm finished they'll be posted and make available the DXF file to those that want it. I'll also send them to OuterZone for posting as I have done with my other conversions.

Alan
My next build is the Goldberg extra 300.
I bought the kit from a modeler but he forgot to tell me he hacked some parts.

I just had copy's of the plans made. And I got a hold of a copy of the 2 manuals.

But I am missing some parts.🙁

I will have to scratch some parts hopefully I may get some help here if I need it.

I am thinking the rccf 26cc gasser for power.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:52 AM
  #1849  
Wizardofflight
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Covington, WA,
Posts: 57
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello,

Let me know which parts you need, I'll put them on standard size paper

Alan


Originally Posted by imcrazy View Post

My next build is the Goldberg extra 300.
I bought the kit from a modeler but he forgot to tell me he hacked some parts.

I just had copy's of the plans made. And I got a hold of a copy of the 2 manuals.

But I am missing some parts.🙁

I will have to scratch some parts hopefully I may get some help here if I need it.

I am thinking the rccf 26cc gasser for power.

Thanks.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:58 AM
  #1850  
imcrazy
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 43
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wizardofflight View Post
Hello,

Let me know which parts you need, I'll put them on standard size paper

Alan
i will take you up on that .
I am programming my cap and then run in the engine.
But I learned from the old timers years ago to have a new plane on the bench at all times. But I will start the 300 as soon as I can. . No arfs for me😝

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.