Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kougar Mark II Questions

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kougar Mark II Questions

Old 05-22-2005, 07:36 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sig Kougar Mark II Questions

The book says 1/2" from the leading edge AT THE WING TIP. I simply marked this spot at each tip, measured a line connecting the two points, and put some tape on the line in the vicinity of the wing roots. I then balanced the model on the same device you have. I don't remember what the measurement was, but it took all of two minutes to locate.

And be advised that this is a VERY conservative CG. Mine was big-time nose heavy with this CG. Flew okay, but you had to stay on the elevator during landing. I moved it back a half-inch or so, and the model is much more agile, yet not snappy or otherwise ill-mannered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35060.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	275024  
Old 05-23-2005, 07:08 AM
LSP972

Just read back through the whole thread... Barney, this thing is a rocket. The 40SF is turning a Graupner 10x6 at 12 plus grand, on 15% fuel. This engine has never run this fast in the 18 years I've owned it. I guess that tongue muffler, with no back pressure to speak of, really lets it eat.

If I want to land at any reasonably slow speed, I have to make several S-turns to bleed off airspeed after chopping the throttle. But usually I just fly it onto the runway at 50mph... annoys the scale guys who refer to my pretty little model as a "sh*t plane", and who have to repair their landing gear after every "landing"/controlled crash...

rkrider, how is yours coming along?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
terryhg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody with info on the Lanier RC Caprice? How does it handle (fly)? Any special or funny behavior? I would like to paint with aero gloss (spray) paint some trim lines on the wing leading edge and tip. Will aero gloss attack the plastic covering? What else would I use other than "iron on" trim and still be fuel proof?

Thank you, Terry
Old 05-23-2005, 09:39 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, finally got mine up in the air.

Fun plane, burned up a whole gallon this weekend. First, my Rossi 45 needs new carb gaskets, I could only get a doggy 14.4k with a 10x6 apc prop, and other things were preventing me from really wringing this bird out. I set the cg per manual (took 3 oz of lead in the nose) and this plane is way nose heavy. I ended up taking 2 oz off and it balances 1" behind recommended setting (just right for me).

This plane moves, but I would not classify it as fast (I was hoping for 120+, currently getting about 80-90). Ailerons are pretty sensitive, snaps can be crisp but be careful about over-rotating them at low altitude, this bird will start to do a funky little spin that kills airspeed and leave little room to recover (but it was fun though). Hi speed passes down on deck are stable and fun. Vertical is decent, plane tracks true.

Landings are uneventful, plane slows down pretty good. I have yet to master the nose-high landings (plane floats on me) but I'm getting there. Lastly, this plane does not recognize the wind, it just moves like its not there.

Conclusion, its a keeper....
Old 11-29-2014, 01:13 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

I just picked up this kit last week and saving it for when I have some time. Two years ago I built the King Kobra, with electric retracts and placed aileron servos in the wings. OS .61 with a Jett tuned muffler. Cranks 13.500 with a 11x7 and really goes. I am hoping to do the same with this Kougar MII. Thinking of a Jett 50 and a small set of electric retracts. The one concern I have is doing the retract modification for the nose gear the same as the King K. I don't know how much room is there to do this and have a fuel tank above it. Since some of you have already built this, I would like to hear your thoughts on this.
I will be also glassing and painting this Kougar.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:31 PM
carlgrover

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My Kougar lands about as slow as a Kadet. I can hold it off the deck nose high no problem. If anyone has to land it hot, you are nose heavy.

carl
Old 12-03-2014, 02:46 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The easy way to put retracts on it is to make it a taildragger. You do not have to worry about a nose gear as it gets a little tight in there. Plan ahead, as the wing is not too thick and you may need fairly small wheels.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:48 PM
LSP972

Talk about a necrothread. I was looking for something else and ran across this.

But I am happy to report that mine is still alive and well; I flew it a couple of weeks ago. Now that I'm getting back into glow power, it will be be my very-windy-day model. And it is in surprisingly good condition, after 125 flights or so. Those flights a few weeks ago were the first time its been down off of the wall rack in at least five years; I had to get a new rx battery, of course, and a vacuum cleaner to get the accumulated dust!

Well, I tried to attach a current photo, but the "uploader" isn't working...

Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 PM
heggen

I haven't had a Kougar for at least 10 years but this thread brought back great memories of the ones I had. If I may reminisce for a bit, years ago I was a member of an AMA Show Team and we were provided Kougars at a small discount form Sig for our go to airplane. We flew everything from combat to formation with them. As time passed, we upgraded to more power and installed ST 60's in them and eventually we all had ST 90's with 3 blade12-8 props. They were MACHINES for that period of time and served us well. It would be a nice plane to have in the stable again. Every now and then I have the urge to build another from the templates and patterns I have around but time and other projects just won't allow it. What a great sport plane it was and is.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:30 PM
LSP972

Not only is mine still alive and well, its still in great shape. I've recently had some serious health issues, and am "going retro" for what time I have remaining in the hobby. This model is just a real hoot to fly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0286.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	2188648