Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flite 1/7 P-51 Build

Old 09-25-2019, 06:01 AM
SIX GUNS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P-51 build

I wouldn't worry about the plane being at 12 lbs just make sure that the balance is a little nose heavy and it should take off good
Old 09-29-2019, 08:07 AM
Pittscrazy

Thank you !
Old 10-28-2019, 01:24 PM
hipik634

be careful on landings, the 12lbs tends not to float, best try thaht weight on simulator before, 11 and 12 lbs makes quite a difference ...
Old 10-28-2019, 03:42 PM
acdii

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

And don't hit any gopher holes if you like your wing and landing gear. They make a picture perfect landing look like an amateur.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:41 AM
GVT

Guys,

I just bought a Top Flite P51D Mustang Gold Edition with Saito 20cc 4 stroke.
This kit was build by the previous owner. Not ARF.

The manual from the kit mentions a CG of 3-7/8" (99mm), manual P516P03
The manual of the ARF mentions a CG of 5-5/8" (143mm), manual TOPA0950 V1.1

Is there such a big difference in the 'to build version' and the ARF?

Which CG should it be?

Last edited by GVT; 06-14-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:57 AM
barnowljenx

The CG for the kit has the measurement from the LE break. The ARF is measured from the leading edge of the wing at the wing root. It is very clear in the manuals.so as yours is the kit version then measure from the LE break back 3 7/8" as shown in the manual. That will give a safe position for the maiden flight. After that you can decide whether to move the CG further aft or stay with the 3 7/8" CG.
Do you know what to look for in deciding whether your CG is in the optimal position for the way you fly?
Old 06-14-2020, 07:02 AM
GVT

Thanks for the correction about the proper CG.
I normally fly them inverted and check how much down elevator is needed to keep it horizontal.

I'd like to check the angle difference between stab and wing. What should it be?

Originally Posted by barnowljenx View Post
Do you know what to look for in deciding whether your CG is in the optimal position for the way you fly?
Old 06-14-2020, 07:20 AM
barnowljenx

Hi GVT
The plan gives the wing at +1/2 deg to the fuselage datum with the stab at 0 deg. I used the top of the crutch onto which you build the fuselage as the datum. The die cutting is pretty accurate for the stab location. As you have a fully built aircraft, finding the datum will not be easy but if you set the wing at +1/2 deg the stab should then be at 0 deg. If it isn't, it's a bit of a palaver to get the wing to the new incidence as you either have to pack the wing at the front to increase incidence or sand away the wing seat to decrease incidence. My advice would be to fly it and see if it flies OK after you have trimmed it out. Then leave it alone as it's not worth the hassle of getting it to the correct setting. All that you will achieve is to alter the sit of the aircraft in the air by a very small amount and it may fly a different vertical down line but as it isn't meant to be a pattern ship it won't matter as much as jiggering up the scale look!
As regards checking CG position, in the pattern world we usually pull to 45 deg up and then roll inverted and relax on the sticks. If the nose pitches down quickly, move the CG aft a bit. If the nose falls slowly, that's about right. If the nose remains in the same position or pitches up slightly, move the CG forward. Good luck.