Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Pics of 4-40 Aileron servo install

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Pics of 4-40 Aileron servo install

Old 04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
josefmd
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of 4-40 Aileron servo install

Hi,

I am looking for some pics on how the aileron servo(single mount) is installed on the 4-40 kit version. I bought this plane already built, but have no manual. I thought there would be a cut out or something on the wing were the servo mounts, or a mounting plate of some kind. Also, from what I can figure the servos for the elevator, rudder, and throttle get mounted on 1/4 balsa, or a aftermarket servos tray.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-21-2005, 06:56 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Pics of 4-40 Aileron servo install

Hi Matt,

If it were me I would go with something a little stronger then 1/4" balsa for your servo support. You would be surprised at how much pressure can be applied to one of your control surfaces and in turn transfer that pressure to your servo's. I'd go with say 3/8" balsa or go ahead and use your 1/4" but glue some lite ply on top of it before mounting the servos.

With regards to your question about mounting your aileron servo you might do a search for the model that you have and see if a manual is available online. Some of the kit manufactures do offer that kind of support. Another idea is to go with a manual from another manufacture that may be similar to your and see what they did. I found this page that has several manuals online that might be helpful: http://www.greatplanes.com/parts/index.html

Do a search on this site for idea's that might be helpful. I'd start in the kit builders section.

Post what type/name of airplane that you have and this will help others who read your post to better help.

Hope this is helpful to you...

Cheers,

Old 04-22-2005, 09:23 AM
josefmd

Thanks Tim,

It's actually a scratch built! So there is no hole cut out for the aileron. That kind of threw me off. I guess I am going to cut a square hole in the middle of the wing and then use two 1/4 balsa strips to mount the servos.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-22-2005, 11:46 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cut the hole just big enough for the servo (and wire) to slip into.

Insted of two 1/4" balsa strips, use two 1/8" plywood strips - just glue them directly to the top center sheeting fore and aft of the hole.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75393.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	261402  
Old 04-23-2005, 09:16 AM
josefmd

Thanks guys,

I actually used 1/4x3/8 Spruce for the mounts. It turned out pretty well. It took a while to curve the hole since there was a rib right in the center of the wing.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97789.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	261768  
Old 04-23-2005, 11:38 AM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

Looks like you got it Matt....