Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

GP Giles 202 40

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

GP Giles 202 40

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 09:48 AM
chuck64
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP .46 Giles---Misc Stuff

Is anyone flying the Giles with a .61 2-cycle? I'm planning on installing a Supertigre G61 in mine. I'd like to know what prop works best with this size engine. Also, has anyone used a 61 2-cycle in this plane for performing the sportsman and intermediate pattern maneuvers? I intend to use it for my first pattern contests.

On a related note, I chose the .61 because it costs less than the 4-cycles and I'm just more familiar with 2-cycles having never flown a 4-cycle before. How would a .61 2-cycle compare to a .91 or 100 4-cycle on fuel consumption? The 2-cycle will run on 5-15% nitro, but I believe the 4-cycles require higher nitro, which would seem to make them more expensive to run, too. Any comments?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:10 PM
prgonzalez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Larry,

Thank you for the advice. However, the thing is I was using the correct throw values. I saw the technotes before start building my first Giles.

What I believe we need to do, is to enrich this chain with more meat about the Giles. I noticed many people fear this airplane, do not know exactly why though. The same way many people fear the GP 0.90-Extra300S. It could be preference by club or region. I do not know. For example, in my club there is a high preference for especific models. Because I have the tendency of not following the crowd, I opted for building airplanes that no one else has in my club. That is why I ended with three GP airplanes. Just recently I bought an ARF from a co-worker. But I am still convinced that building your own airplane is more fun.

As there are new people building this airplane, there are people that have been enjoying the same model. What we need to do is to educate ourselves in the best way to trim this airplane. If someone else shares this idea, please reply. For those looking for answers, please start asking your questions.

Thanks
Pedro
Old 07-14-2005, 10:18 PM
prgonzalez

Chuck,

I had my Giles with an O.S.61FX using 12x6 prop. The Giles flyes OK but it lacks of vertical pull. There are people flying it with TH-0.75 (2-cycle) and 91-100 4-cycles reporting unlimited vertical. I am building a second Giles and am planning on using either a TH-0.75 or a 0.91 either ST or O.S. always 2-cycle. I really like the simplicity of the 2-strokers for maintenance and tunning.

Pedro
Old 07-14-2005, 10:36 PM
Antennaman
My Feedback: (3)

I've heard the same about the 2-stroke 61's in the giles. I've also read that the tower hobbies .75, although cheap pricewise, is even more cheap in quality and will crap the bed on you before an O.S or other respectable brand engine would. I'm in the process of buying a slightly used saito .91 4 stroke on this websit's classified section... I've never had a 4 stroke. What I hear is that they are more fuel efficient. Some report longer flight times with even excessively larger 4 stroke's. Oh well. If two stroke is what you trust most, go for it. I'd suggest the O.S 91 fx. Although it may be a little overkill, it is less than one ounce more than the .61fx. just my 2 cents.

Rick M.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:53 PM
prgonzalez

Hi Rick,

It is really interesting to read how diverse are the opinions about certain brands. I have a friend who loves Magnum engines. I also have another friend who consider Magnum engines to be almost disposable, like the LA series of O.S. I guess the say of "you get what you pay for" could be more accurate most of the time. Although some brand companies can charge more because of their accummulated brand equity. At the end, we all learn after trying and making mistakes.

I appologize for deviating from the Giles chain. But since we are taking about a good engine for the Giles, I thought the comment could enlight other pilots.

I will follow the engines forum to gather extra information about all brands and engine sizes.

Pedro
Old 07-15-2005, 07:24 AM
chuck64

Thanks for all the information. I have a TH .46 that I'm happy with, so maybe I'll try the .75.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:14 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: chuck64

Is anyone flying the Giles with a .61 2-cycle? I'm planning on installing a Supertigre G61 in mine.
Keep in mind that the ST 61, 75 and 90 are all in the same case. If you get the 61 you pay the penalty in weight and size but don't get the power of the 90.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:10 AM
prgonzalez

Hi Stripes,

That is a good point. I knew some manufacturers use the same casing for .61s and .91s resulting in less weight due to less material. So I am determined in using a 0.91 2-strokes. The question is, which brand.

Pedro
Old 07-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Macchi
My Feedback: (4)

I really enjoyed building my Giles and love the way it flies. I started off with a Saito 91, and though I liked the engine very much I felt that the vertical performance was lacking. I then put in a Saito 100, which I feel is almost perfect for this plane (I considered a YS 91 but its weight and increased length just didn't seem to make for a good fit). As everyone has mentioned, limiting the elevator throw is KEY; maximizing the mechanical advantage and perhaps using a digital servo for higher resolution may help with the elevator feel.
Good luck and enjoy!

Freddy
Old 07-18-2005, 02:44 PM
WarpedWing
My Feedback: (3)

My GP Giles had an OS 91FS and I was very pleased with its performance. However, as a current Saito 100 owner, I think this engine would be absolutely ideal for the Giles. I've seen this plane with .61 2-strokes and any of these powerplants barely fly the plane. I initially considered the OS 91FX, but I felt the bigger torque and prop of a 4-stroke was really what this plane needed. There is also some thought that a .91 2-stroke is "too much" engine for this plane (I don't think it would be). In any event, I generally flew my Giles at 60-70% of throttle anyway. I could never get the elevator "right" on my Giles. The recommended low rates weren't enough and the recommended high rates were too much (IMO). The Giles can be a wonderful flier---I really liked half cubans and knife edges with it. Always "felt" like a much larger plane. Have fun guys,...WarpedWing.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:00 AM
yepe

I installed ys110 with 15x6 apc prop vertical climbs was unlimited at 50%-70% power. So I changed to os 91fx with bisson muffler and 15x6 apc , the plane flew better less torque than the YS, but still the plane manages to hover at 75% power. I love this setup perfect for hot dogging and 3d flying.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:58 AM
prgonzalez

Hi Yepe,

Thank you for posting the information about flying the Giles with the OS.91FX. Many of us have been waiting for this information long time ago.

Tell us, does the frame receives much vibration from this engines?

Pedro
Old 07-31-2005, 02:00 PM
propshaft

Interesting maneuvre for all you fellow Giles fans!

Here is a new (to me at least) maneuvre that I discovered the Giles can do. It looks like a vertical Lomcevak. Go straight up. Once the vertical line is established, lift off from the throttle a little to bleed off airspeed. Then, a fraction before you expect the plane to lose all upward momentum, press both sticks into the top center corners (ie full throttle, right rudder, down elevator and left aileron) and release (but keep full throttle). If you get the timing right the plane goes into an inverted snap roll, does a head-over-heels and continues straight up.

Have lots of altitude when you try it out. Things become momentarily chaotic when it goes wrong. If it doesn't work (which is often) just lift off the throttle and spin down as if you meant to do that all along - nobody will ever know!
Old 08-12-2005, 06:23 AM
yepe

I think engine vibration with 91fx is very minimal. Just add some light plywood reinforced in the engine firewall , also use 30min epoxy for extra strength.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:40 PM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

Well, I should have had this flying back in April, but finally finished my G-202 and had the maiden flight today. All I can say is this is one sweet flying plane. It was worth being patient all summer while I finished the build. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Flying with a Saito 91.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:09 PM
MDK
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: GP Giles 202 40

I am interested in the Giles, and am thinking of using a .60 2 stroke. Would this be enough power or will the Giles be sluggish.

Thanks,

MDK
Old 08-21-2005, 07:23 AM
prgonzalez

Hi MDK,

I used an O.S.61-FX on mine. The Giles is not slug with this engine. It really flights well, but it does not have unlimited vertical. I was able to do alot of aerbatics. Including stall turns. However, vertical was not that high. If you like to do pattern + sports aerobatics, you will need more power than a 60 2-strokes. There are people in this thread that use 4-strokers. The most common are .91 and 1.00. Others use 0.75 and 0.90 2-strokers. It depends on your like.

Hope it helps.

Pedro
Old 09-19-2005, 10:50 AM
srecker

I loved this plane from the time my girlfriend gave me the kit about 4 years ago. After moving three times, etc, I finally finished it a few months ago. I'm a meticulous builder - lateral balance perfect, COG right on the money, controls and surfaces perfect. OS .61 long stroke with pump. Pitts style muffler. High torque servos on the tail. Flew well, knife edge GREAT, etc.

BUT THIS THING SNAPS LIKE CRAZY WITH EVEN MODERATE ELEVATOR INPUT. [:@]

I just smashed it into a million pieces after it snapped three times in a row, heading straight down. Yeah, I know, I must have pulled up too hard. No, I didn't. I stopped the spin, straightened it out, gave it plenty of power and a bit of up, and WHAM, another snap. Three times in a row, and right into the soybeans.

I'm not even crying too much, because now I can put my favorite engine in a plane that will fly right. Except that I may have damaged the engine, so, yes, I am crying.

FIND ANOTHER PLANE!

[:'(]
Old 09-19-2005, 04:57 PM
prgonzalez

Hi Srecker,

I know exactly what you mean. You can take a look at the pictures I posted showing the pieces I grab from ground when my giles eat the dust. I have another kit to build, but in the meantime, I was able to increase the elevator in my GP Easy Sport to the point that is snappy. Now, I am practicing with getting familiar with handling snaps. I hope I can learn something from it before I build my second Giles.

Pedro
Old 11-01-2005, 10:05 AM
chuck64

I saw pilot figures in a few of the models posted in this thread. Can anyone suggest an appropriate pilot figure and where I could purchase one for the Giles? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:31 PM
PizzaMan

There should be at least one hobby store in the Cincinnati area that has pilots.

Then there's always tower, horizon, ...

If you are really stuck try: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/pilots.htm

My preference is to get figures from the toy stores. Currently there's a lot of Scooby Doo figures.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:52 PM
chuck64

Thanks for the link to Hobby-lobby PizzaMan. I've seen pilot figures for sale, but they are typically $15+ and thats more than I want to spend for a simple plastic bust, especially when I still have to paint and finish them. The ones at this link are more like it.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:09 PM
whaturi

keep the giles thread going.. anyone building one now? i am, and am really thinking i want this thing to come out light. now how light can they be built? here are the things i am doing to keep this thing light:

foam wheels
no wheel pants
plastic landing gear bolts
one elevator servo
sub micro throttle servo
light battery? ideas?
carbon landing gear?
carbon pushrods
light covering over sheeted surfaces
wood prop
saito 100 seems perfect

any ideas on additional measures?
Old 12-11-2005, 01:08 PM
whaturi

oh, and i am at the point where i have both wing panels built, and ready to join.. did anybody else notice that rib 2A does not match the exact contour of the rest of the ribs, out at the leading edge, it is 1\8 of an inch bigger. i am considering trimming it, to make the leading edge moe straight.
Old 12-11-2005, 01:12 PM
PizzaMan

W.

It is good to see some activity here.

I'm currently building one. Currently I'm in the middle of covering. I'm also using a Saito 100.

The kit has been designed pretty light.

Some of the balsa is on the heavy side. It would cost a lot of strength, but you could replace some of the heavier balsa with a lighter grade. I don't think this would be worth it though. (All of the extra cutting, and the extra frailty.) Maybe using 1/16 sheeting on the fuselage instead of the 3/32.

I've trimmed the cowl so that it goes from the firewall forward instead of strapping around the front of the fuse. However, the weight of the blocks I've added for the screws probably makes up for the weight of the ABS I've trimmed.

I figured with the 100 vs a 91 in the front, mine could use a little extra tail weight when I'm done. I also wanted more strength in the elevators and rudder. I framed these in thinner balsa, tapered them down to airfoil type surfaces, then sheeted them. Maybe for you use, taper the rudder, elevator, and stabs. This would also seriously increase your requirement to keep it slow.

I don't know if anyone's using the "alternate" (square hole at the rear underside of the fuse) rudder servo location, but with your extra nose weight, that might work for you.

I also wanted to try cable pull-pull controls for both rudder and elevators. That might reduce the weight some. I've also removed the supports that support the control rods through the back of the fuse.

On the prop: Which one did you have in mind? I'd like to keep to a 16-17 x 4. The only one I find is the APC 16 x 4W. I've found a couple of zinger 15 x 4, but I our local Saito expert thinks that these might not be big enough. If you find something else, let me know.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.