Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"Graduate" kit : please help !

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"Graduate" kit : please help !

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 05:40 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Graduate" kit : please help !

Hello,

I seem to remember an old rc aircraft kit name, but I can't find any information on it. It was called "Graduate"... Can anyone remember this aircraft ? I use to see them when I was a kid.
Thanks.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 PM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Graduate" kit : please help !

I want to say it was made by Airtronics in the late 60s-early70s, but I'm not sure. Could be Bridi, too.

Dr.1
Old 11-09-2005, 01:42 PM
RAMFlyer
My Feedback: (65)

Don't know who kitted it but RC Mag offered one as a plans-built article from the April 1970 issue. The plan is #PL-426 costing $8.00. Go to rcmmagazine.com and check out the picture in the alphabetical plans listing to see if it is the one you remember.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Strykaas

Mhh thks for you replies, but I think the "Graduate" I am talking about is actually not that old. I would say early 80s... And not the one from rcm.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:56 PM
KaosDriver

FWIW, Cermark sells an ARF version for @ $150. A nice little ship......Mark
Old 11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
1g1yy2

I built a Graduate sailplane from a Precedent kit that Hobby Lobby used to sell.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Strykaas

ORIGINAL: 1g1yy2

I built a Graduate sailplane from a Precedent kit that Hobby Lobby used to sell.
Mhh that gets really interesting as it may be this one. Any picture ?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:09 PM
1g1yy2

Oh, sorry, we don't have a digital camera yet (Have been waiting for the price to drop on the 8+ megapixal cameras.). I still have the sailplane, and if you can wait till about Christmas time, maybe we will have a camera then.

I mentioned this sailplane -- but really thought you were talking about a smaller powered plane. My wife bought this kit for me from Hobby Lobby in 1993. I don't know how long they had been selling it, but they discontinued it probably a couple of years after I got mine.

The Graduate came as a 96" w.s. glider kit with plug-in wings that went straight out from the fuselage, but had bent up outer panels. It could be built for rudder/elevator/spoiler control, or ailerons could be added. It could be built to launch off a high start, or to be powered by a speed 700. It was a good looking sailplane.

I built mine with some modifications. I extended the wingspan by a couple of bays to 102", and built them with very little dihedral, and added flaperons. Unfortunately I built it unpowered to launch off a high start. My son and I flew it several times some years ago, and it flew great, but we got tired of the high start and haven't flown it since. I have a good speed 700 to mount in it, but other projects have taken priority. However, by next spring I will have it converted and ready to fly with the motor. (I would not use a higher performance, lighter brushless motor because it needs the weight of the speed 700 to balance.) Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time building/finishing it and it came out looking really great, so I really want to get it converted so we can fly it often.

I hope this helps -- let me know if you need any other info about it.

Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Strykaas

Dumb ***** I did not see the "sailplane" word, was too happy that someone talked about precedent kits which were trendy kits at these times...
However, yes I'm perhaps wrong, it might have been a sailplane (don't think I'm crazy, sometimes memory woes are very bad). I am waiting for your pictures !

After much effort, I could remember the name of the guy flying it. It is 15 year old souvenir.

thanks.