Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help me got over my dislike of building kits.

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help me got over my dislike of building kits.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help me got over my dislike of building kits.

I know that the internet has made a big difference for me. It's helped to make me a better builder, and it has made it more enjoyable. One thing that might help is to look through some of the build threads here and find a thread on a kit that interests you and follow along. Following Tubigs' TF Spit Build thread has made the progress of my own TF Spit quicker, easier, and more enjoyable by seeing how others have solved issues which could have lead to frustration, get answers to questions, and being motivated by the craftsmanship of other.
I look forward to seeing your creation down at the basin!!

Scott
Old 12-30-2005, 08:28 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was building the two wing halves of my Sterling Baby Ringmaster I found that I could get the leading edges lined up, or I could get the trailing edges lined up, but not the leading AND the trailing edges. I don't remember how I resolved it (40 years ago) but somehow it got finished I flew it all summer.

I love building, but I can be lazy about it sometimes. I weigh all the wood, cut new parts if the wood doesn't suit me, and try to build light and strong. At a certain point in the project I get very motivated to finish. My planes always come out lighter than the kit specs, and making the wood selections and mods to do that is a big part of the fun for me.

Like others here, covering and finishing is not something I look forward to. But I've found I'm really excited about seeing the plane all painted, and that gets me through it. Film does not do that for me, so I usually finish the old fashioned way.

I think part of it is doing enough building so that you've seen and overcome a lot of the problems before, so you don't get hung up as much after awhile. I hope you learn to love building, but if you don't then just find what it is you DO love doing.

Good luck,
Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 09:50 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoy building planes from kits or even just plans. I sometimes get frustrated with a kit that is taking too long to complete. Maybe you could look for a plane that is a quick simple build. I have built several of Sigs and Great Planes' kits, and the manuals are very helpful in assisting the builder. Maybe you could consider a kit from one of these. My first build was the Kadet Lt-40, and the manual had lots of tips for the first time builder. THen I built the GP Super sportster, and the manual was also very good at helping me to build this plane straight.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
dicknadine

things have changed a wee bit over the past 65 + years of building kits, yes .10 cents for a box of dull die chrunched parts or just wide pattern rubber stamped on rough grain balsa. BUT the end result was then as now-- LOOK at what I built. they all flew long enough for the short firecracker fuse to explode. the name of the game is to learn how to use the razor blade and sandpaper. there are NO shortcuts. even ARF's need repair. work at it and things will turn out better each time. shortcuts get you in trouble. try to forget that this is a INSTANT Gratification ERA, plod along and you will be come a builder. dick
Old 12-31-2005, 02:05 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

I have already ordered the Four Star 60.

Dick, I know how to use a #11 and sandpaper. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it.

I have built lots of ARF's and every single one of them I modified from box stock, so yeah in my own way I have been 'building'.

Here is my HoB ME-109 I built in 1974, as it looks today after years of neglect and hangar damage. And my latest ARF, a Rascal Forty. And my current ARF project (on hold) a P-47.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71111.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	378431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68379.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	378432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38548.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	378433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt52505.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	378434  
Old 12-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first real kit was the Rascal back around 1960, great plane and nice build. The Dacota almost put me off of model planes but free flight at the Basin was too much fun to miss so I kept at it. Today the kits are better then ever and the 4* is one of the better builds, easy and A nice flying plane. I have A set of plans on the bench right now of an 80 inch Sukhoi that if I haden't already bought the wood for it I would walk away from it. Got the plans from MAN and they are total junk. My other plans built planes were A joy to build. Just goes to show that no mater what, some are just better then others, or easier. If we were closer I would trade you my sanding, filling and preping my old truck for painting and do your builds for you. I'm at the point I hate working on cars and just can't get into it. Planes I can build all day long, week after week, different strokes.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:05 PM
jamie_duff

I'm the oldest 24 yr old you'll ever find......... Old school through and through.

Earlier this year someone I know decided that he too would like to try his hand at rc models. Well, we built his first one together, which he took out before I arrived and he crashed it. He then bought an ARF trainer which he lashed together and flew for a while after I trimmed it out. Then he bought some crappy foam thing which he assembled so carelessly it was unflyable, then an ARF aerobatic model which too, was thrown together so badly it was fit for scrap.

I thought long and hard about his attitude and his comments about building. Years back, another friend copied me (even down to the choice of first model) into RC and he took such pride in his new found hobby that I couldn't fault his first attempt.

I think that attitude is the key here. The early friend, Gavin, was so keen to produce quality, to understand what each part was for, how it worked that his building skills advanced very quickly. His flying skills improved quicker too. The second person, Paul, was in such a rush to get flying that the preparation of a model for flight was nothing but an annoyance to him.

Paul would even complain about the time wasted fitting the wings onto his model at the field. As a model pilot I found him to be reckless and untrustworthy. Gavin on the other hand, was so conciencious and keen to improve his skills that I trusted him to fly a few circuits with my Hawker Hurricane whilst he was still on a 3 channel trainer. He didn't try anything fancy, he just gently flew big circles and figure 8's trying to absorb all the differences between the two models.

The Hurricane is now dead (my own fault I hasten to add) but I have a rather nice P-47, which Paul has been told he wouldnt get to fly.

I think the difference is clear between these two extremes of real-life people. Gavin was keen to learn, keen to please and keen to advance, whereas Paul was only interested in half a hobby, allowed ARF to encourage his laziness and he thought learning to fly models was below him (as he had some full size training - though he's never flown solo full size which both Gavin and I had at that stage).

Sorry for the length of post - but it illustrates the extremes nicely. Building from plans and kits is about producing something from nothing and the huge feeling of satisfaction that comes with it. For some it's about impressing others, for some it's only to impress themselves. I think anyone who, in this day in age, chooses to build rather than buy does so because he (or she??) enjoys seeing something they built with their bare hands flying, rather than playing with an overgrown toy plane.

Ultimately, for me, I love making a recognizable shape from bits of wood. Sure the glue can take a while, but the time is spent well, as the product will be straighter and stronger. How many posts do you see of builders complaining that wings have fallen off their models compared to ARF pilots????
Old 01-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Kmot

The big brown truck arrived today!

The first thing I saw when I opened the box, was an advertisement! [:'(]

I thought I would try some of those new fangled sanding helpers:

Welp, I read the entire construction manual already. It seems to have a couple things that I don't quite understand, like maybe they got the wording confused or maybe I'm just confused. Anyway, overall doesn't look to hard and for sure the laser cutting looks really nice!
Old 01-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

No body can make you like to build , but from what I see here its in your blood,all I can say is this, read it through and understand exactly what is going on before you do that step. When you get going and it looks as good or better than the pics in the book your working from, thats the gratification of self accomplishment.
If you don't own one I would highly recommend a razor plane of some sort I use a cheap one .I think its a robart , makes for lighter work on parts that require a ton of sanding(wing Tips). Or for putting the bevels on the control parts. Rough um in with the plane and a few licks with the bar and you have a perfect bevel.
The only other thing I can think of is don't be afraid to change the sand paper always keep good sharp paper on your sanding bars.Also trim the paper so it fits the bar with some old scissors.
Good Luck !
Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Kmot

Thanks for the advice Cyberwolf! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Larry S
My Feedback: (6)

We come a long ways in building since Sterling came out with the Ringmaster. As a kid I also bought a Ringmaster but unlike KMot, it came out great. I found it very easy to build and fly. That was over 37 years ago and I finally lost that Ringmaster this last summer. It sure looked like hell with all the repairs I had made on it over the years but it finally crashed beyond repair. As I write this I am building a Top Flite Hollywood Zero. I have build so many types of planes that I won't get into that but the bottom line is you have to like building, getting dusty, having fingers stick together with CA, etc. But what I enjoy is having a plane unlike anyone else and I do that with covering. Usually what I see when guys tell me they don't like building is they try to go to fast without reading the directions first and doing exactly what the directions say. Also it does help to have the right tools to do the job. Building is something you just have to like to do and if it isn't, then there good ARFs out there but even they need some work. I have "put together" two ARFs and believe me they do have to have some work besides what they tell you or you'll end up with wings coming apart or firewalls flying off. My opinion is simply this, some guys have the talent to build and some guys don't but that works for most things we try to do. Another thing a lot of guys do is try to build a complicated plane before they are ready to do so and some kits are just more complicated then others. Top Flite warbirds are more complicated then Pica warbirds but Top Flite is closer to scale.
Don't give up building, it seems with all the ARFs out there, we're a dying breed.
Larry
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 PM
kdheath

Forgive if you've seen this site before, but I still enjoy browsing it just for another idea or two. Having some tools and skills in hand sure reduces frustration. Each time you solve a problem makes the next problem easier to overcome and that's when building gets to be fun.

http://airfieldmodels.com/index.htm
Old 01-04-2006, 01:41 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

I was gonna tell you not to do it but I see it's too late for that. You seem to dislike the mess of working with balsa so I'd advise to bring the bigger parts with you to the field and sand on the tables while you hang out. A lot of guys do this to avoid the mess in the shop. The Four Star doesn't have a lot of carving so that won't be an issue.

Good choice on the cutting mat and sanding T's. When you go to change the paper on them use a heat gun to remove the old stuff, works like a charm. Use thin CA for the tight joints and medium for a loose fit or when you need more time to align something. Get some 30 minute epoxy for anything that needs to ne really strong like the gear mounts.

See you at the field.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 PM
BasinBum

And while your at it...
You should make it a night flyer since we have three night flies schedualed this year. Here's my Kadet Senior with lights. I can show you how I did the LED's (19) if you want.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38495.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	380947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18032.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	380948  
Old 01-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Commander_Drake

I have finished many kits now and the secret for me is just to keep some forward progress going. I make it a point to do at least one little thing every day that I'm home. Maybe just glue a couple of pieces together or sand a part. It's amazing how much I get done when I promise myself to do at least a little each day.

I started this habbit when I was going for my graduate degree at night and working during the day. I didn't have a lot of time for my hobby so I would just do about 15 minutes of building each night. That kept me sane.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

You seem to dislike the mess of working with balsa so I'd advise to bring the bigger parts with you to the field and sand on the tables while you hang out. A lot of guys do this to avoid the mess in the shop.
Richard, that's brilliant!! And, I won't have to worry about someone shooting me down with RF interference!

ORIGINAL: Larry S

Building is something you just have to like to do and if it isn't, then there good ARFs out there but even they need some work. I have "put together" two ARFs and believe me they do have to have some work besides what they tell you or you'll end up with wings coming apart or firewalls flying off.
I know. Take a look at posts #8 thru #25 on this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_30...tm.htm#3077614

Or on this thread, starting with post # 50:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...Cp%2D47/tm.htm

Old 01-04-2006, 08:01 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

And while your at it...
You should make it a night flyer since we have three night flies schedualed this year. Here's my Kadet Senior with lights. I can show you how I did the LED's (19) if you want.
BB,

Perhaps I could motivate you to create your own thread on how you installed the LEDs in the Kadet to make it a night flier. I think it would make a great thread topic. Maybe touch on any other mods to the kit as well. I know I am interested.

Thanks,
Old 01-04-2006, 09:53 PM
wascamp
My Feedback: (1)

Kmot, If you want something a little bigger you might take a look at the T-Rex from Mosquitobite Planes. Very good quality, great support, and the interlocking construction is super fast. The plane is built in your hands, not over plans. The wing is built in a bench vice, really. I swear that you can frame the entire plane in a weekend.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:57 AM
BasinBum

OK Js3, you talked me into it. I started it here in the kit building forum.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:00 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kmot

The big brown truck arrived today!
KMOT:
I've been followint this thread, but didn't want to post.

I'm proud of you man. Don't give up. You MUST want to build. You've tried it before and even though they didn't turn out the way you expected---you kept going.

You LISTENED to the advice that the other guys gave you. And then you went out and did the sensible thing and bought a 4*60 kit. Laser cut. Easy to build. Easy to cover.

You bought some tools. Having the right tool for the job makes life so much easier.

You already read the instruction book.

Dude, you da man!! Take your time and have fun with it. Kit building can be so rewarding. Taking her out for that first flight and actually seeing it rise off the runway and start flying--sometimes gets me choked up.

Be proud of yourself for not giving up. In a couple months--you'll be flying a 4*60 and I'll bet ya it will look and fly very nice.

Kit building lives on!!![sm=thumbup.gif]

Old 01-05-2006, 11:17 AM
CafeenMan

Kmot - A lot of your enjoyment in this hobby is simply from your attitude. Your first post sounds like you're open to this being enjoyable, but your past experience left a sour taste.

Please know that your experience isn't unique. When you don't know how to do it and you don't get help, model-building is a miserably frustrating experience and many people quit.

I kept trying to build Guillow's kits because they were what were available at the local dime store. I didn't know anything else even existed. None of the other kids I knew built flying models. Some built rockets and plastic models.

I could never even come close to finishing a Guillow's kit. Most of them got smashed up due to exceeding my frustration limit by a large margin.

Everyone believes that model-building requires patience. I disagree with that idea. Model building requires two things: discipline and knowing how to do it.

Discipline means knowing that if you sand an edge true that it will fit properly. Discipline means making sure every part fits before gluing anything. That means dry-assembling AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE before gluing and then making corrections. Some people call that patience but I call it discipline.

A lot of kits, particularly older ones, don't explain the order things should be done well enough. Consequently we end up doing things the hard way. For example, making pushrods, pushrod exits and installing the radio are usually far easier to do while the fuselage is still very open (and sometimes before the fuselage is built at all). A lot of instructions have you making and installing pushrods after the fuselage is closed up.

One thing you should absolutely stop thinking about is how long it takes to complete a project. Manufacturers who tell you how long a project takes are not only dishonest, but they are contributing to people's frustration. They say you can complete the model in only 3 weeks. How in the heck do they know how long I'll spend building my model?!?!

Once you get to a certain level you will enjoy the work you do and how long it takes won't matter. I enjoy taking a rough part and extracting the diamond from the rough. A small block that gets sanded on each side with the sharp edges taken off has a nice finished look to it and gives you a feeling of pride in your workmanship. So what if it took you 20 minutes and didn't have to be done at all?

Sometimes I botch a part (more than one per build for me) and that can be frustrating, but I learn from my mistake and make a new part. That used to be frustrating, but now I look at it as more experience that becomes another "tool" in my belt.

Speaking of tools, there are some tasks that I am horrible inaccurate at. I have been doing this long enough that I now have the tools and knowledge to overcome that problem so that inaccuracies are not built into my models. Most of my tools are to do things I can't do by hand or to build more accurately. I can't think of any tools that I have simply to speed things up.

The sanders you bought are a very good start. I don't like the sticky-back sandpaper rolls because they come off too easily. In my shop, they will fall right off after a few days because I hang my sanders on my pegboard. I use spray glue and good sandpaper (3M Sandblaster) and it works very well.

I can't imagine the pin-pusher being very useful, but I've never tried one. T-Pins are good for general purposes, but they aren't the only pin. Go to a store that sells sewing supplies and get a few different sizes of dress-maker's pins. The smaller diameter will help prevent splitting and allow you to put more pins in a concentrated area at various angles.

Lastly, if you're unsure about something, don't do anthing until you come here and ask. It's easier for us to help you avoid a mistake than to correct one. But if you do make a mistake, then stop, come and ask and get help before it's beyond hope.
Old 01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: CafeenMan

Manufacturers who tell you how long a project takes are not only dishonest, but they are contributing to people's frustration.
Sorry, but I must strongly disagree. They are trying to give the average modeler an idea of how many labor hours it will take to complete the project.. The hours are not determined by a top-level builder, but by test-builds done by people of average modeling skill (at least in my experience). That some people take longer does not mean that any deception or dishonesty has taken place.

Thank you.

Old 01-05-2006, 01:01 PM
CafeenMan

Bax - OK, I'll withdraw my statement. I didn't mean it as the manufacturer has malevolent intent but that it's probably wildly inaccurate. I would think that if a manufacturer gave me a kit to build for test purposes, I would probably get on that kit fairly intensely (and unrealistically) compared to my normal building procedure. The times given always seem to be way low. In any case, I think how long a kit takes to build is moot and irrelevant but I didn't mean that manufacturers are deliberately deceptive. Bad wording on my part.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:18 PM
Kmot

Rcpilet & CafeenMan: thank you for the words of encouragement! I believe if I had had internet access as a young man many things in my life would be different today!

Oh, and about the building times I have to agree with CafeenMan. I have 'assembled' (placating the 'builders') several ARF's and those take me weeks as well. hahahaha!! Not hours! lol...

I am going to either steal some pins from my wifes sewing table or go to the craft store and buy some of those you suggested. Yeah, maybe I better not steal the wifes if I still want dinner, lol...
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
bluebikerblan

I've been following the thread and hope you'll keep us updated on your progress with your re-started efforts to build a kit. Mostly, I'll admit to hoping that you enjoy the process. Good luck! One curmudgeon to another. Best, Blue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.