Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

Old 12-30-2005, 01:04 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

I've been into r/c airplanes about 7 years now. I really enjoy building kits. However, I have trashed out several kits in the past few months, not liking the ribs that are too thin to do anything with and can't even pin them as they break, or precut parts that are too big or too small to fit over the plans and you would have to recut them yourself. I like good quality instructions to ease in the guessing game of what to do next and completing a step out of order. The instructions have been weak in a lot of kits. So, I am pointing my flying interest in the way of profiles and pattern style planes. I am looking for feedback on kits that you really enjoyed building, was fun to build with good instructions, and a kit that you would build again.
My wife says to "look at the cost of the kit", which seems to hold true. I plan on picking up an ARF or two, but I do enjoy and am looking for a really good fun kit to build, at least a .60 size.
Thanks for all replies. Any photo's are welcome as well.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:07 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: What kit did you REALLY enjoy building?

My favorite builds were the old GP Ultrasport 40 and the GP Super Skybolt
Old 12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Maudib
My Feedback: (51)

I really enjoyed the Sig Smith Mini...

Here's a short build review I did:

http://www.hangar37.net/SmithMini/index.htm
Old 12-30-2005, 01:28 PM
XTOL

I really enjoyed building an original Joe Bridi Super Kaos kit.
Mainly because it was something you had to actually build.
A lot of kits these days go together so easy there isnt a lot
of challenge in them. I learned a lot of useful building techniques
building that kit.

Right now Im scratch building a RCM Ultra Sport 60. This has really
been a lot fun (and work). I havnt been this excited about a plane
in a long time.

Mike Hammer
Old 12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Flip and Fly

My all time favorite was the ACE 33% Weeks Special. It was big for me at the time and was challenging, but went together well.

The first kit I ever made was the Sig Piper Cub 1/5 scale. I really enjoyed that one, it was my first
Old 12-30-2005, 02:29 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

My favorite is the Sig SE. It was my first plane.(and first build) I was able to build it fairly easily with some checking over/help from my grandfather. After not being able to find a test pilot that wasn't busy,(or would help) I then took off and flew around.(my first maiden!!!)(I had had prior experience and had soloed[though unofficially]on a PT40.) I was probably 12 at the time and I still remember that thrill.

Woops
Old 12-30-2005, 04:12 PM
mikeboyd

Okay, I got to say, the Sig 4*60. You open the box throw in the glue and hardware, shake a few minutes a pour out a completed plane.

I built three of them, kit bashing more and more as I went. The laser cut parts come out of the box so easy, it may be difficult to keep the parts with the numbered sheets. A little majic tape keeps them from getting lost. Required very little sanding. Non of my these kits took me over 40 hours to complete. Wish all kits were this simple, would build more of them.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Roby

I'd have to say a Lou Andrews " Aero-Master "

Roby
Old 12-30-2005, 04:56 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

I enjoy every kit I build but the one I got the most enjoyment out of was my Maratuka/Royal Bearcat (believe it or not). It challenged my building skills, made me think about structure and assembly. Did I mention it made me think?

Of the lesser hard builds, I would have to agree with an earlier post and say the Sig Smith Miniplane...that was fun, too.

Don
Old 12-30-2005, 05:03 PM
Hellcat716
My Feedback: (2)

Skyshark RC kits are excellent. I have built the Hellcat,TBM Avenger and ME-109. All were excellent.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99160.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	378118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81456.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	378119   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26550.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	378120  
Old 12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

You like that target-tug scheme, eh?

Me too. Makes for a very visible (and unusual-looking) warbird.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Newc

Midwest's Citabria and Extra 300XS (both 80" WS) are among the nicest kits with good instructions that I have made. The Balsa USA Thunderbugs, Stingrays and Northstars are also very good kits, but with a bit less complete instructions.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:00 PM
jrbmoto

I agree with Roby...Lou Andrews kits were some of the best! Good luck finding one though...If you can get your hands on a GP Aeromaster, its pretty much the same plane with better instructions. Every GP kit I've built has been a lot of fun..I haven't built them all, but so far I haven't been disapointed. They always have very good instructions and the parts always fit well..Try to look for one of the older "blue box" kits! Also, I've found that some of the best kits are those that come from small mom and pop companys. (for example: Gee Bee Models, maker of the famous "Dreamer" biplane...or GM Precision Products, maker of the awsome Sunbird and Killer Vee) Usually they are produced in smaller batches so the quality of materials is often better, however, I've found that sometimes instructions aren't quite as extensive. But to me thats a plus. I've been building airplanes all my life, I don't really need 2 pages of text to explain how to cut the hinge slots in my ailerons! To sum up...It all depends on how much building skill you have...Any of the larger manufacturers (Sig, Great Planes, Goldberg, etc..) do a great job taking you every step of the way through building their kits..My advice is, pick a design that you like....Building is always fun no matter what kit you choose...just make sure the plane you end up with is something you will enjoy!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:36 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

[8D]I've enjoyed them all. I have been building kits for almost 25 years.
I have not yet not enjoyed building a kit. Some, of course, have been
more challenging than others.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 PM
onemorecast
My Feedback: (8)

I know there are a ton of kits and manufacturers out there. I surely don't mind having to think some, or even make a few new spars, etc., because they are warped and twisted. After working all day, going in the workshop is my "unwind" time, and I found some kits to be frustrating. I can do a lot of the simpler things, as you have to do with every model. I bought a recently released profile. The wing ribs were so thin I couldn't even pin through the tabs without them breaking off and certainly couldn't keep everything square. Not an expensive kit but why go through all the work of designing and getting kits laser cut? The design was good and simple. It wasn't an expensive kit.

Had anyone built any kits from Ultra-RC, any of the CA Models from Aeroworks, or OMP? Again, hard to tell from a website without just buying one.

One of our club members built a Flyin' King, and he is fussy and a meticulous builder. He said it was the most fun kit he has ever built. Not sure I would enjoy flying that type model. Keep your kit ideas coming!
Old 12-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Daryl_y

I really enjoyed building the GP Mustang 40, The plans and instructions were very good and the die cut pieces fit well. Best of all you have a good looking sweet flying plane when you are done.

Name:	Ig12328.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	378174  
Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
krossk
My Feedback: (27)

My first kit was my TIger 2 and enjoyed that one. Now that my SSE is almost complete, that one is now my favorite. My next one will be a CG Sukhoi and I suspect that one will become my new favorite. And I've got a Super Skybolt that I'm dying to build when my flying reaches that level. So in short, I love building them all!.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:45 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

I also liked building the GP Super Sportster.

Recently, I built a Fat Free Taco, and it was a great plane to build. It is designed and kitted by Paul Swanson. The interlocking of the parts was phenomenal and I really enjoyed building this kit. Check it out at:

www.swanyshouse.com
Old 12-30-2005, 09:49 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Wood dries out. Sometimes it absorbs moisture. Plans shrink.

A brand new kit will likely have the best fitting parts and plans.

Instruction ? Well, some do leave a bit to the imagination. Again, newer is sometimes better. Often , you can go online and view the entire construction manual for a kit.

Some kits don't rely on parts fitting together. Other than ribs and a few bulkheads, they expect you to cut out everything. I love this kind of kit. Parts always fit because you make them.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:58 PM
kdheath

The Airtronics Aquila Grande unlimited sailplane. FG fuse, 122 inch span, flying stab, and spoilers. Outstanding wood and cutting. Beautiful flyer, the son of a world champ. Too bad there ain't no more of them...

Anything by Bridi (Kaos) or Sig (Steen Skybolt, any Kadet, Kommander, King Kobra), and especially anything by Andrews. Hmm. These are all out of production, too.

I bought a Tower Kaos kit and used the spars, bulkheads, LE, and TE out of the kit. Replaced the rest. Shoulda just bought the plans and saved all the stress.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

I enjoy building any kit that uses BALSA and aircraft plywood with maybe a dash of spruce. I hate lite-ply and will no longer consider any design that uses it. Andrews designs are great examples of well designed, light yet strongly constructed airplanes that fly well. Too bad they are no longer on the market. But, anybody designing a new series of models would do well by following Andrews box-loc construction methods and general design.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 PM
halflight
My Feedback: (5)

Bruce Tharpe Venture 60 by far...excellent kit. Next would be Skyshark TBM Avenger.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:16 AM
Brian Soltis

ORIGINAL: halflight

Bruce Tharpe Venture 60 by far...excellent kit. Next would be Skyshark TBM Avenger.
I was hoping someone would mention the Venture, it's going to be my next kit.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 AM
TomCrump

I've enjoyed every kit that I have built. Each kit has something in it that I can learn from.

The Pica WACO was a challenge, with two wings and all those sticks !!!

My Holman FW 190 D9 taught my how to mount retracts in a foam wing and how to deal with a fiber glass fuselage.

My favorite would have to be the IKON Fairchild 24R. Lots and lots of sticks to form into a nice looking model. Some techniques that I hadn't seen before, like laminating thin balsa strips to make the wing tips. This kit taught me more than when I built my trainer !

Name:	Yw67297.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	378486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89594.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	378487   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37325.jpg
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	378488  
Old 12-31-2005, 05:54 AM
Newc

One of our club members built a Flyin' King, and he is fussy and a meticulous builder. He said it was the most fun kit he has ever built. Not sure I would enjoy flying that type model.
If the suggestion from your fellow club member has you interestede in the kit from Bruce Tharpe, but not the Flyin' King, look seriously at the Venture or even the Delta Vortex for something different. I think Delta-winged planes are a lot of fun - high speed and low speed handling - and they always draw a crowd at the field.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.