Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top flite seafury build and kit bashed tempest

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top flite seafury build and kit bashed tempest

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 07:18 AM
ticketec
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Top flite seafury build and kit bashed tempest

Thanks Grumman-cats,

I have added it to my wish list so that i can find it again when i need to order some more stuff from tower. The system sounds pretty good and is excatly what i wanted to do.

Looking forward to some more pic's of your models progress

Thanks
Old 03-03-2006, 05:46 PM
grumman-cats

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't really done anything new lately, I got a coat of primer on the cowling and thats it. Hopefully this weekend I'll get some more done on it.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:31 PM
grumman-cats

looking for opinions.
I'm using latex paints for the first time and mixing my own colors and what not. I'm currently thinking about only clear coating the cowling and not the paint on the fuselage since it will see little exhaust from the motor and no fresh fuel during the filling stage. Now does anyone have any experiance with the oily exhaust causing problems with the latex paint?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:27 PM
grumman-cats

I'm getting close.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38710.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	431081  
Old 04-08-2006, 01:41 PM
grumman-cats

Just got a few finishing up touches to go and it is ready to fly. I am however looking for anyone who has flown this model and know where cg was located. I'm curious to know if it was right on where the plans say or did you go a little aft or forward of that position. Any knowledge of this would be helpful. Trying not to add anymore weight than necessary.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:07 PM
grumman-cats

Well I took it out to the field today but it was a little too breezy for me for a test flight. however I did run it and check it's ground handling characteristics and I was very impressed. The .91 FX appears to have plenty of power. the aircraft balanced about a 1/2 inch behind the plans location with no lead added to the nose . It seems to be pretty light on the tail so I'm hoping that it will be alright. I'll let you all know how well it flew which should be soon.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:14 AM
ticketec

Looking good,

I would be tempted to add weight if nothing else, just for the first flight to ensure that the CoG is at the marked spot or ahead.... Just my 2c worth.

I haven't started with my inner doors on the mustang, but the wing is sheeted bar some small pieces on the top surface. I hope to sand the wing down in the next few days and make some glass gear doors for her before i cut out the lower skin to get to the retract areas.

thanks
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 AM
grumman-cats

I may still end up adding some weight since I don't have the gear leg doors on yet or a cockpit installed. I still have to make the brackets for the gear doors. I know robart sells them but I just like making my own stuff as much as possible.

When I ran the motor the other day at the field the low end needed adjustment which requires the removal of the cowling so I still have some work to do before It fly's. Just trying to be as ready as posible so I don't ruin 2 years worth of work in 2 seconds
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
grumman-cats

SHE FLEWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I took it out this past weekend, took a deep breath and away it went. Several clicks of down trim and it was flying great. Just as I was getting really comfortable and doing some basic aerobatics my muffler came apart and the inside of my glowplug blew out leaving me with no compression. Glider practice time. I made an excellent downwind turn into a perfect three point landing with no flaps. The engine out characteristics of this plane are absolutely great. I am very pleased with this aircraft. I needed no lead in the nose, all the mods that I made to the kit really helped keep the weight down. My only issue is with not having the main gear doors on yet. This caused alot of drag in flight with those holes in the wing.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:15 PM
tony221264

Hi Grumman-cats
Hows the fury flying great aren't they. I had an invitation to fly at raf coltishall which was a week ago now some good warbirds there, pictures on rc warbirds and warplanes, for those who love ww11 warbirds page 44 on

Name:	Qo40358.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	465705  
Old 05-23-2006, 04:16 PM
grumman-cats

I still haven't taken it up again. I just got the new muffler and I ran the engine to find out how well its working and found my needle valve was leaking some air so I've just installed a new one and am getting ready to try it. I hope all goes well then I'll work on those outer gear doors. Hoping to fly it this week.

excellent pic
Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 PM
grumman-cats

Tony'

I see you used your flaps during that landing approach, Just to increase my knowledge before I try, How did they work? The one landing I've done I didn't use them, The engine was out so I was just concentrating on getting it on the ground in one piece.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
grumman-cats

Well I got a couple of flights under my belt now. I'm fairly pleased with it's flight performance, it has an excellent glide ratio which makes me look like I actually know how to land a warbird. It's rather stable in the air, I havent' had any bad quirks per say. About the only thing I really don't care for at this point is that it's not very fast. I should have expected this with the really thick wing that it has but it's roll rate isn't all that quick either. I would recommend to anyone building one to try and get as much out of the ailerons as possible. The elevator seems to loose response as speed drops but this might be becouse of my balance. It's slightly behind where the plans recommend but it's normal flight doesnt' display any signs of being tail heavy except for the above mentioned ( which might be that I'm trying to come in to slow for a three point landing, doing a just on the mains landing has no bad characterics.) I am running a 14x6 prop but will be switching to a 13x8 to see if it makes any difference.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:04 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Jim, I made a couple of flights with mine and I'm not happy. First I have to really hold full up elevator to keep it from nosing over. I balanced it as per the directions but I think it's nose heavy. Also the RCV 91 just doesn't have enough power, my plane came in at 12.5 lbs. I have an Enya 120R that I think I'm going install in it. Once the plane was in the air it flew well but your right it's not very fast.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:49 AM
grumman-cats

I'm surprised to here that you had ground handling problems, Mine is an absolute dream for a warbird. Mine is balanced about 1/2" behind what the plans recommend, that could be the reason for it. If you do switch engines let me know how it works out.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy for me to say because I'm not paying for it, but put a more powerful engine in it to pep it up.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:46 PM
rc-sport

Yea I Plan on doing that. I already have the engine
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM
ticketec

Hey Grumman-cats,

How is your inner gear door set-up holding up?

I'm almost ready to start setting up my Mustangs doors, and was wondering if there are any changes that would be good to do seeing as you have some flight time on the model now.

Also, how does the standard servo hold up?

Thanks
Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
grumman-cats

actually I don't have anymore flight time on the model. Life has been rather busy lately and the last two times I've been out the on board glow battery didn't work. I'm almost ready to cut the cowling. However, the dozen flights I do have on it, they have worked very well. I only had one situation where the left gear wouldn't come down so I had to raise it up and belly it in.[:@] No damage done though. The standard servo works well but I did have to get an extended arm for more movement. There's not alot of wind resistance so it doesnt' take much power. The only thing that I would recommend is if you can attach the outer gear door to the fuselage and let it float on the gear if possible to avoid any alignment issues if one of your gear legs gets tweaked on a hard landing. Not that that happened to me.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:47 PM
grumman-cats

A little update on the seafury. "LOVE IT" I ended up removeing the onboard glow driver, I couldn't keep a good enough conection to the glow plug for it to work reliably. However I did install a new prop with a larger pitch and it made a world of difference. I put three flights on it yesterday with no engine outs, no nose overs, the gear worked flawlessly. And let me tell ya, having the whole gear assembly covered up during a fly by looks so cool. It was well worth the $40 for the sequencer. Leaving the coils in the top of the gear leg has really helped as well. I haven't had to straighten anything as of yet. My only issue is that It has a power to weight issue with the .91 could use a little more but it is plenty fast enough right now.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:52 PM
grumman-cats

here's a couple of recent pics.

Name:	Wu61471.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	531328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71546.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	531329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95160.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	531330  
Old 11-02-2008, 09:57 AM
grumman-cats

Well I have decided to reengine the seafury. I've decided to drop the whole glow idea and go with a zenoah g-20. Has anyone used one of these on a topflite kit as of yet and how did it work out? Did it fit in the cowling or did you have to cut some holes? The idea here is to not cut anymore than I have too. I'm trying to go gas as much as possible with my aircraft. The glow fuel is just such a pain in the @#$ when it comes to paint and protecting it. So if anyone has maybe done this conversion I would like to know how it went.
Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 07:17 PM
grumman-cats

I bought the rcgf 20cc rear induction engine to try on the fury. I've got the engine hung sut of course winter is here and I am not in a huge hurry to go out into the cold and try to break in an engine. There's still alot to do on the plane since I removed all of the electronics (was going to sell but the gentlemen backed out after I removed everything ). [:@] Anyway, I'm hoping this new engine improves the performance and reliability. I had a very worn 91 fx in it.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:23 PM
grumman-cats

here's a few pics of the engine hanging on the front. I also have a size comparison with it next to a .60 fp

Name:	Qo40335.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	1346760   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je99305.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1346761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns43871.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	1346762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74055.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1346763  
Old 01-01-2010, 10:37 PM
rc-sport

This past fall I fianlly got aroung to swapping out the engine on mine. I installed an OS 120 Surpass III w/pump. It flew so much better and it was fast. I moved the CG back anf ground handling was a dream. I can't wait until spring.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.