Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Kits for sale on EBAY.

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Kits for sale on EBAY.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:50 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kits for sale on EBAY.

I am finding KITS which are for sale on EBAY to be consistantly selling at very good (HIGH) prices. I'm paying attention to Bud Nosen, Pica, Dave Platt, Sig and some sport designs, such as The "HOTS" and Super HOTS by Midwest.

Why do you think this is so? Is there a resurgence in interest in building kits,; or, does it have something to do with nostalgia?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:17 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Kits for sale on EBAY.

Maybe supply and demand?
Old 02-08-2006, 08:21 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have purchased several kits on Ebay, and the prices are usually higher than originally set. However, the kits I have bought are no longer available, so it's supply and demand. Most recent buy- a Great Planes Ultrasport 60 for $152.00. I thought that was fairly resonable considering the number of people who want one!
Old 02-08-2006, 08:34 AM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We only want what we cannot have, so when a kit is in production, we don't give it much thought. After it is no longer made, everyone wants one. Some kits that are no longer made, like the Pica, are getting a little steep in price.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:51 AM
Dr1Driver

Supply and demand.

Also some of these now OOP planes are GREAT flyers! I would LOVE to have an original Midwest Hots, or at least the plans for one. It was an awesome little plane! There may be a little nostalgia involved. "That there were the plane I lernt on." Some buyers will take the planes to swap shops and inflate the price even more. At a recent local swap shop, I saw MANY old kits that several people had either squirreled away, bought from a manufacturer/hobby shop going out of business, or bought on eBay.

Dr.1
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Mode One

I just completed building my second the Hots. The full size plans were in Model Airplane News this past year. I also have the plans from Midwest. If your interested, let me know. The two plans are not the same.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Dr1Driver

Aha...do you know what the difference is, mode one?

Dr.1
Old 02-08-2006, 10:55 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys.....how about the Giant Hots. I know a guy that has one. It is really a nice flying plane, that is very fun to fly with a gas engine or big glow. Capt,n
Old 02-08-2006, 12:45 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

I don't know about supply and demand, I think some folks are a couple of cards shy of a full deck. They pay more on e-bay than it would cost to go to the LHS or Tower, etc. Right now there is a Top Flite P-51B conversion kit that is in stock at tower for $25 that has been bid up to $52 plus shipping! I visit e-bay mostly for its entertainment value than as a market place to shop.
FEB
Old 02-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Mode One
Is there a resurgence in interest in building kits,; or, does it have something to do with nostalgia?
Speaking for myself, finding a good kit is a pretty difficult task these days.[>:]
Old 02-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Mode One

I'm not going to say anything bad about Ebay, as I only find good deals there. If they arn't good deals I don't buy! I know what I want and what I am willing to pay for it. If it gets overbid, I think; how wonderful for the seller and wish that it was me doing the selling!

I also wonder whether we're letting the manufacturers dictate to us what we want. If there is a demand for kits; but, we continue to buy ARFs, we have no one to blame but ourselves!
Old 02-08-2006, 02:35 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've purchased 3 kits on ebay since getting into the hobby two and a half years ago. My main interest in the hobby is building and scale. All three of the kits I've purchased online are kits that are out of production. I consider the price I paid for these kits to have been good buys. I paid just under 100 for an anniversary gold edition Top Flight P-51B, about 120 for a Marutaka A6M5, and about 200 for a 1/5 scale DP Systems SBD Dauntless. I look to some of the older kits because of the limited selection of kits in production these days. I also want to look at the design and construction techniques from various sources for the day when I move on to scratch building.
I think that, in the long run, the kit market will be moving away from the larger manufacturers and moving more toward kit cutters and smaller independent kitters.

Scott
Old 02-08-2006, 03:07 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

it is cyclical. I find them for sale for really good prices at times, buy them, hold on to them a few months and re-list them. Haven't lost on one yet.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I have purchase about 25 kits on Ebay. All were out of production and kits that I wanted in my youth but could not afford.
Ebay allows someone like me to go back in time and buy the kits I always wanted. I love Ebay. Most of the kits I have purchased are fun-scale ships like Jemco Hellcats or Sig Bonanzas, stuff like that. I just love fun-scale kits. I'm in heaven. I might pay a few bucks more than I should, but these kits make me so happy, I don't really care about the price. I have 25 kits that I can't wait to build. I feel like a millionaire.

I do not believe that building is coming back. Far from it. I am a freak at my club. Everyone flys ARF's. No one but me would be excited about building a Sterling Tripacer. I think the kit builders like myself, just see the writing on the wall , and are hoarding the good kits before they are all gone.

Now watch. China will start selling great kits for dirt cheap !! Doh !![X(]
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Jim_McIntyre

ORIGINAL: Mode One
... we continue to buy ARFs...
NOT guilty!
Old 02-08-2006, 05:28 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the best deals I have ever made were on E-bay. I have purchased many kits way below their actual value. I keep a good watch on the "Buy-it-Now", and once in a while one comes along. However, anytime I want to sell a kit, I put it on E-bay as I get much more for it there, most times.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:41 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Flyboy: I bet you did not make any money on a Midwest Giles 202! Is that one in your avistar?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Flyboy: I bet you did not make any money on a Midwest Giles 202! Is that one in your avistar?

Yea it is, I got it on ebay in the kit for $90 and still have it. It came with the after market one piece gear and glass cowel.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
JimInCA

Sense the topic is EBay, I thought that this was appropriate:

http://tinafolsomphotography.com/ebay_song.html

Jim...
Old 02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
PointMagu

Naturally, I can only speak for myself.

I've sold kits on eBay. I've bought kits, engines, servos, batteries, hardware and just about everything else for the hobby on eBay.

I've been burned a few times but overall have had EXCELLENT results when being an INTELLIGENT shopper. By being selective in what I'll spend for an item. I rarely fall for deals that aren't. However, what has already been said is true...you can get all caught up in the bidding and end up way over Tower or other retail outlet pricing.

I am on limited income and am forced to bargain hunt for almost everything I use in the hobby. Thank God eBay is online otherwise I'd still be flying my Hobbico SuperStar...

PM