Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig 1/5 Piper Cub Suggestions & Concerns

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig 1/5 Piper Cub Suggestions & Concerns

Old 02-17-2006, 04:26 PM
HelloScott

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sig 1/5 Piper Cub Suggestions & Concerns

I experienced several situations while I was building my Sig 1/5 scale Piper Cub kit. EXCELLENT KIT BY THE WAY! The first was that when I had to bond the fuselage side with the doubler, both pieces were pretty soft balsa and the grain ran the same way on both laser cut pieces. I used a thin layer of Titebond to glue them together and just the dampness of that and/or curing caused the side to bow and curl a bit. I ended up having to install some vertical support pieces in order to get the side straight again. SEE PHOTOS.

The other problem that I had was that the rear top side stringers are supposed to be a little bent and curved as they merge into the top of the cabin area. This is one of the things that you notice with a real cub. Its show that way on the plans, but in reality, there's nothing to make the balsa stringer curve. I made a piece that I patterned off the drawings that had that curve to it. Gluing it on I was able to get the bend I was hoping for. SEE PHOTOS.

I'm disappointed with the cowl. The one I got with the kit is flared at the bottom and sides and just doesn't fit the fuselage very well. I called Sig, and they promptly sent me a new one to correct the problem, but the replacement looked exactly the same. I might try adding some 1/16" ply inside the sides of the cowl epoxied in place to get it flat. Its curved enough that if I attach it with only the screw locations shown on the drawing, it will just pucker it up like a coffee filter I'm afraid. Fiberglass Specialties, Inc. makes a 1/5 scale replacement cowl for the Sig Cub. I'm going to check that out when I get to Toledo in April. SEE PHOTO.

The only other problem I've encountered thus far is that the doubler for the rear exit on the pushrod didn't line up with the one cut into the fuselage side. No big deal really. This kit is such a pleasure to build, I'll be happy deal with this little problem!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16255.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	410087   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84525.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	410088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41627.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	410089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm29956.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	410090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gr93417.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	410091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb44349.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	410092   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hj88426.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	410093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz88881.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	410094  

Old 02-17-2006, 05:06 PM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sig 1/5 Piper Cub Suggestions & Concerns

HelloScott,
I'm a titewad, er Titebond guy to, I use "sand bags" to prevent the curling problem.
What Saito are you using, I know it's been around a while, the black anodised muffler in your photo is a giveaway. I have one of the old .65's that I used on the old Goldberg cub way back, I'm now going to try it on a 4*60.
Good luck with your project,

Pete
Old 02-18-2006, 06:34 AM
rwright142

It's looking great so far!
Old 02-18-2006, 03:31 PM
maayan

hey.
i was wondering, does this piper have a one piece wing or is it a two piece?
look great!
Old 02-18-2006, 03:34 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

It's looking good! The 1/5 Sig was my second kit, second plane. I used Ca and epoxy throughout, so I cannot attest to the bowing problem you had with aliphatic glue. The top stringers behind the trailing edge will bow somewhat when you cover it and shrink it, and Sig had Koverall in mind for this plane, I think.

If that is a .65 Saito, it's perfect. Yours must be a similar vintage as mine, because I had the same muffler. How are you mounting yours, sideways or inverted?. If you go with inverted, all you'll need are a couple of small reliefs in the cowl for the valve covers. Also, consider a 14-5 or 6 prop for best flight performance, plus it's the scale diameter.

My cowl is the same as yours; I added another layer of fiberglass inside mine to strengthen it, and flattened the sides while doing it. It fits fine.
Good luck with the rest of the build, this is one sweet airplane. I made an L-4 out of mine.

It's a two-piece wing, uses two tube wing joiners and FUNCTIONAL struts.

Name:	Ki17928.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	410672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79271.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	410673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36373.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	410674  
Old 02-20-2006, 08:31 AM
Red B.

Maayan wrote:
i was wondering, does this piper have a one piece wing or is it a two piece?
The 1/5 scale SIG kit comes with a two piece plug in wing using thick aluminum tubes.

/Red B.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:41 AM
HelloScott

Well, to give you some idea of the vintage...I bought the Saito .65 new at the "Indy R/C After Thanksgiving Sale" about 15 years ago I think. They used to have a sale, and we obsessed modelers would show up at their doorstep at 6:00 am the Friday after thanksgiving! And I thought my wife was bad about going to the Mall! But, they did have amazing prices. Near cost. So yes, its an older vintage. I like the black muffler because it doesn't look bad when it gets caked with burnt varnish. I know its not as powerful as the .72, but I think it will be perfect for this plane.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:16 AM
HelloScott

I'm using CA type glues throughout and epoxy as directed. I just thought I'd have a wee bit more working time with the Titebond for the fuselage sides.

I was planning on mounting my Saito .65 sideways. I've read your postings about inverting yours and that's tempting, but I think that the head of the Saito actually looks kind of cool sticking out. I know its not scale, but its acceptable to me. My 1/4 Scale Sig Cub (see my Gallery) has the Saito 1.20 inverted. That model was as scale as I could make it. So I went that direction too. I did have a problem with splitting props due to hydraulic lock a couple of times. I didn't know if that was the manners of the 1.20 or the fact that it was mounted inverted. So, again, on this one, I'm going with the side mount.

I like your suggestion on the cowl solution. I'm going to see what the Fiberglass Specialties one looks like at Toledo. If its thick and straight, I'm probably going to go that route. $28 I think is their cost on it. That's what I used on my 1/4 scale cub and its held up just great.

I like your L4 version. Looks great! I'm debating going with the traditional Cub colors & lightning bolt or maybe going with the Civil Air Patrol version that they have at the United States Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. Still would get me the Cub yellow coloring, but it wouldn't be like every other Cub.

Name:	Qo38743.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	411888  
Old 02-20-2006, 04:00 PM
khodges

I did the C.A.P. logo on my H-9 Cub floatplane. My mother was a CAP Cadet during WWII, I still have her training manual.

Name:	Db84169.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	412152  
Old 02-20-2006, 04:21 PM
HelloScott

See, great minds think alike!

Have you seen this photo on the Internet. Its another neat Grasshopper version...I like it too.

Name:	Pm35096.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	412162  
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Floater-RCU

khodges, very nice L4! I do like it.

Floater.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 PM
khodges

Thanks, it looks great in the air, too.

Scott, I have that picture in my collection of L-birds. The color pattern (yellow cowl, and yellow circle around the star) were used during Operation Torch, the North Africa Invasion of 1942. They actually launched these Grasshoppers off specially modified LST decks that had a 200 ft by 16 ft wide plywood "runway". Most planes only needed about 2/3 of the runway to get airborne; this was with the LST at full speed into the wind (full speed on an LST was about 8 knots!)

Name:	Om31918.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	412529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83134.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	412530  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:12 AM
HelloScott

Any idea of how the top of the wing was done? Just the star or stripes? Would make a nice departure from std Cubs or an L4.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:36 AM
maayan

thanks you both.
looks like it will be my next kit... :-)
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM
HelloScott

The only part I've not been happy with is the cowl. It is durable since its fiberglass...more durable than the traditional Sig plastic cowls, but its thin and was curled a bit. I'm going to replace it I think with the one from Fiberglass Specialties. They sent me a photo of theirs which is shown below. You can get to their website at www.fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com:

Name:	Vt56066.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	412736  
Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM
burgh_guy61
My Feedback: (11)

You will be happy with the quality of their cowls, as i have gotten 2 so far from them (not for the cub) and have been very pleased. No pin holes and fit like gloves.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:05 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: HelloScott

Any idea of how the top of the wing was done? Just the star or stripes? Would make a nice departure from std Cubs or an L4.
Just the star with the yellow border (the tellow border was specific to Operation Torch, just as the "Invasion Stripes" were specific to Operation Overlord), top of the wing on the left, underside on the right. Some also had a letter and / or number on the sides of the fuse, to denote the unit and a radio call sign. Most of these aircraft were assigned to artillery units as spotters and fire directors.

Stripes didn't appear until the Normandy invasion; by then, the star had also changed to the one on the side of my plane. See the picture below for how the stars changed as the war progressed. This applies to all US aircraft of the theatre.

The first one of these L-4's to take off from the LST and fly ashore was shot down by friendly fire, killing the pilot.

Name:	Wu61171.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	412832  
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM
bhodges
My Feedback: (3)

Hi.

Try a little earlier in this forum under: Saito 90TS-Sig 1/5 Scale Cub

I modified the Sig cowl into a two piece configuration in order to (1) be more scale, and (2) clear the cylinders on a Saito 90TS twin.

Bryan
Old 02-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally put some upgrades on mine. I built some more scale like jury struts and I also installed the Robart 1/5 scale gear. I have a Saito 130T in mine for scale looks.

Name:	Nl28268.jpg
Views:	724
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	413070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37024.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	413071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44867.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	413072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31185.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	413073  
Old 02-21-2006, 11:21 PM
khodges

ORIGINAL: bhodges

Hi.

Try a little earlier in this forum under: Saito 90TS-Sig 1/5 Scale Cub

I modified the Sig cowl into a two piece configuration in order to (1) be more scale, and (2) clear the cylinders on a Saito 90TS twin.

Bryan
Bryan--Haven't heard from you in a while, how's that work of art you're working on coming?

Guys--you want detail? You should see THIS guy's plane.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:04 AM
ColMax

Steve - I'm beginning my 1/5 Sig Cub build (well - pulling all parts together that I still need!!). I wondered if you moved the firewall back to accomodate the Saito and how you approached it? I have an ASP available and my measurements suggest a shift back of approx. 10mm. I'd toyed with going electric but have been put off thus far by the costs of the parts for that.

I'll also use some carbon fibre rods and cf tape in the cabin area for strengthening the roof and uprights. Again - any views on this appreciated.

many thanks - Colin.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Steve

ColMax,
I didn't have to move the firewall back any. The stock mount on the Saito is short enough and the rear mounted carbs are close to the firewall. If you want to go with the Robart gear, you should modify the landing gear mounts by turning them upsidedown so you have a flat piece of wood to mount the gear to. The twin sounds really cool, but I think the 90T would have been a better choice for this plane. The 130T is a little too heavy and I had to add tailweight. I also have the servos in the tail. After about 12 flights with mine I started noticing some cracks in the upper fuse wing mount area. I re-inforced this area with some epoxy and try stock. I'm sure it is due to the added weight of my engine choice. I may end up putting a solid wing tube in, instead of a two piece wing tube. The plane still flys very scale like and is fun to fly.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:23 AM
bhodges
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Ken. What with work and Xmas....I have not touched it for a couple of months. I'm back on it now, and will post some construction updates in a few weeks. Finishing up the engine/cowl/external exhaust detail is first. I also built it way too heavy in some areas, so am reworking those areas too.

Steve....whats the weight of your Cub?

Bryan
Old 02-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Steve

I'll get it on the scale as soon as I can. I have the motor out right now for new bearings.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:25 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

STeve, What did you do/ change to make the jury struts more scale? Thanks. "Upon further review" of your picture I can see what you did.......what did you use for tubing, size of nuts/bolts or other hardware, etc?

OT: Does anybody else think that the stock cowl is too wide out at tip to be scale?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.