Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danpos
I don't have any pictures. But it looks just like it did with the 80 I posted a page or two ago.
I'm using a MAS 14x8 prop. I usually use a 15x6 on the Saito 100, but I prefer the extra speed from the 14x8 for the Chipmunk.

No ground clearance issues with the stock fixed gear and 15" propeller. I'm using 3" wheels too.
Good to hear there's no clearance issues with the stock gear and 3" wheels. Did you have to change the cg some?
Old 08-08-2014, 09:54 AM
danpos

Originally Posted by rica1
Good to hear there's no clearance issues with the stock gear and 3" wheels. Did you have to change the cg some?
I didn't change the cg when I switched engines. I do know it is nose heavy by the way it flys.
How do you guys find the aileron rolls? I need to begin with a healthy nose up approach and need to give it a push down on the stick when I am inverted or I do more of an ugly looking corkscrew.
I'm hoping by moving the cg back a bit it will do nicer aileron rolls?
Next step is to actually measure where the cg is. I'll do that tomorrow.
The Chipmunk is in my car now waiting to go to the air field in the morning.

Since switching the engine from the Saito 80 to the Saito 100 the Chipmunk has become the plane I never go to the airfield without.
It's funny how just a little more power has transformed this plane.

Last edited by danpos; 08-08-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:37 PM
rica1

Danos, I first flew the Chipmunk with my cg at 4 1/8 inches (mid cg), after awhile I moved it back to 4 1/4, later to 4 5/16 ( in small steps each time), as I got more used to it, and kept it there. That's a little tail heavy and more sensitive on the controls but I really liked it then! I don't think I liked the roll rate when I started and it was more like a cork screw (barrel roll).
I wanted the rolls to be more axial (sp) so I tried more throw, and differential to see what would work. The manual recommends pretty mild control throws. Ailerons at 11 degrees normal and 13 degrees for aerobatics. I have triple rates and my 2nd rate is probably about 13 degrees, my 3rd rate is probably about 15 to 18 degrees (but I'm guessing some there).
If you have dual rates try the recommended rates 11 low, 13 high and see how you like it. I would definitely check your cg first! If your cg is near the front of the range, start with moving it back (one thing at a time). Also, make sure your down aileron has slightly less down travel then your opposite up aileron travel (aileron differential). Maybe 1 degree more up than down and see how it does. You only really need differential if the nose of the plane yaws the opposite direction as your banking/rolling. If it doesn't, I don't use it. Shouldn't really need it with a semi-symmetrical, tapered wing. Also, if you increase your speed your roll rate should increase,
My Chipmunk was my favorite plane for 4-5 yrs! It is a really a nice flying plane in that, it can do many things well, is very forgiving, no bad tendencies and a bunch of fun to fly! Let us know how it goes and what cg you have been flying it at.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:02 PM
kevthomp

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ready for maiden flight

It's funny that this thread has recently become active. I subscribed to it about 6 years ago when I started building my Super Chipmunk. I finally finished it last week! I was going to go for the maiden flight on Saturday, but the weather didn't cooperate. Hopefully Wed. this week will be good. It weighed in at 8lb 5oz. Here are the modifications I made:
  • Pull-pull rudder
  • dual ailerons
  • flaps
  • fiberglass cowl and wheel pants (from Fiberglass Specialties)
  • carved wingtips
  • strengthened landing gear blocks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7694.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	2021675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7698.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	2021676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7700.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	2021677   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7702.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	2021678   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7705.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	2021679   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7687.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	2021680   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7688.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	2021681  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM
rica1

Looks very nice and detailed. What eng do you have in it? You like to take your time building! Please give us a report on the maiden. I hope it goes well and you have a lot of fun flying your plane once you get used to it. There is a lot of good information on this plane in the build thread, let us know if you have any questions.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:46 AM
danpos

Nice looking plane kevthomp. I'm going to recover mine this winter, The silver makes it very difficult to see on a cloudy day.
It was my first "kit" build and at first I didn't like the plane all that much. All I wanted was Warbirds.
However this plane flys so well that it's become one of my favorites. Funny how this plane has changed things.

When I recover it this winter I'm removing the flaps. They aren't needed at all. In fact it acts odd with them.
It will reduce the weight a little.

Most of this video is just over half throttle and I didn't do a single full speed low pass. 3/4 throttle at best. It was very windy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppz1...ature=youtu.be

I crashed on the flight right after this video was taken. I'll post the video of the crash later. The engine quit at the far end of the field. It was so windy that I could barely control the plane. There was no chance of gliding it in at all. It went down from 100' or so. I did my best to dive and glide it in. but it went down stright in on it's nose. Broke the fusilage clean in half, propeller snapped both blades, the receiver case was even smashed, the canopy was destroyed, and the cowling was beat up bad.

The good thing is that the wing suffered no damage at all? Amazing!

I got it back in the air today and it fly's great. I can't believe it wasn't totalled.
I was flying at a small field today so for the first time I did most of my flying at a much slower speed than usual.
Once again I was impressed with the handling of this plane. I was even doing low speed alieron rolls. I need to give the stick a good push upward when I am inverted to get a clean roll. Once I got the hang of it I was doing nice slow rolls looked very cool.

Last edited by danpos; 08-12-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:23 PM
kevthomp

Looks very nice and detailed. What eng do you have in it? You like to take your time building! Please give us a report on the maiden. I hope it goes well and you have a lot of fun flying your plane once you get used to it. There is a lot of good information on this plane in the build thread, let us know if you have any questions.
Thanks rica! I'll give a report on the maiden. I have an OS 61 in it. I can't wait to fly it. Every post from an owner of this plane says they love how it flies.

I suppose I like to take my time building, but it's also that I have very little time to build! I hope my next build takes much less time.
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 PM
kevthomp

Thanks, danpos. It looks nice flying. I can't believe you got it back in the air so quickly after breaking the fuse in two! How did you have the wing mounted? Did you use the supplied metal screws or modify that to use nylon bolts?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by danpos
Nice looking plane kevthomp. I'm going to recover mine this winter, The silver makes it very difficult to see on a cloudy day.
It was my first "kit" build and at first I didn't like the plane all that much. All I wanted was Warbirds.
However this plane flys so well that it's become one of my favorites. Funny how this plane has changed things.

When I recover it this winter I'm removing the flaps. They aren't needed at all. In fact it acts odd with them.
It will reduce the weight a little.

Most of this video is just over half throttle and I didn't do a single full speed low pass. 3/4 throttle at best. It was very windy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppz1...ature=youtu.be

I crashed on the flight right after this video was taken. I'll post the video of the crash later. The engine quit at the far end of the field. It was so windy that I could barely control the plane. There was no chance of gliding it in at all. It went down from 100' or so. I did my best to dive and glide it in. but it went down stright in on it's nose. Broke the fusilage clean in half, propeller snapped both blades, the receiver case was even smashed, the canopy was destroyed, and the cowling was beat up bad.

This is sort of what happened with mine, the wind kept stalling it, dropping a wing and spinning it away. It does not glide well into the wind.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:24 PM
Lucas45

Originally Posted by acdii
This is sort of what happened with mine, the wind kept stalling it, dropping a wing and spinning it away. It does not glide well into the wind.
I found that dead stick the only thing to do is carry on straight and try to keep up flying speed ...easier said than done as most cases you do not have height or speed!!!
Here is mine ready for its next flight!

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	1431
Size:	3.28 MB
ID:	2022268  
Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I had the height, but could not get the speed, unfortunately when the engine quit it was high up and away. I had tried to bring it around but it was too high and too close so I was trying to trade altitude for glide, and it didn't work. When my other plans dead stick they glide in nicely, this one though, without speed the wind just pushed it over. It is also much smaller than the LT-40 and 4*120, so orientation was a pain, which complicated the issues since I had a hard time discerning the direction it was traveling. Add in the fact it was my third flight with very little time on the first two. I never got the experience the joy of this plane others have said. Someday though it wil be back in the air, and with a properly running engine.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:59 PM
danpos

acdii it will be well worth the trouble of the repair to get the Chipmunk back in the air.
Mine is alive and well. Flying as well as ever. Although it dead sticked on me again since the rebuild. Dead stick was sourced to the high speed needle pressing hard up against the cowling. The pressure on the needle during flight was causing drastic changes in the high speed mixture resulting in dead sticks. Providing more clearance solved the problem.
Also a windy day, but I was close enough to the runway that I brought it in for a fast landing instead of picking up the pcs.
I used the rudder to keep the wing as flat as I could, instead of a quick alieron movement to turn. I believe that helped me maintain speed.

Here is the video of the crash and a picture of the broken fusilage and canopy. I removed the audio at ny wife's request, so you can't hear the engine quit. Not on account of cursing. She thought she sounded like a nerd. ha ha
I replaced the canopy with a Top Flite P-51D canopy and it looks ok enough for now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jARNrdFBk3M&feature=youtu.be

Name:	10615895_10152572364251294_202684043_n.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	2022474  

Last edited by danpos; 08-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:21 PM
kevthomp

My maiden flight was completed without any issues. We only got one flight in because when the wind finally died down there wasn't enough good light. A club member with a lot more experience did the first flight and said it flew great and only needed a few clicks of trim. I can't wait to get out and fly it myself later this week (once the weather and my schedule cooperate!). Here is a pic of it on the runway, ready for takeoff, and one after landing (I couldn't find it in the view finder for an in flight picture -- besides, I was too busy grinning and being nervous )

Name:	IMG_7749.JPG
Views:	1327
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	2023728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7751.JPG
Views:	1314
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	2023729  

Last edited by kevthomp; 08-19-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:46 PM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

I have a CG Chipmunk on the shelf. I think that will be my next build.
How did you get the cowl color (red) to match your covering so well? what paint did you use?
Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 08:58 PM
rica1

Originally Posted by kevthomp
My maiden flight was completed without any issues. We only got one flight in because when the wind finally died down there wasn't enough good light. A club member with a lot more experience did the first flight and said it flew great and only needed a few clicks of trim. I can't wait to get out and fly it myself later this week (once the weather and my schedule cooperate!). Here is a pic of it on the runway, ready for takeoff, and one after landing (I couldn't find it in the view finder for an in flight picture -- besides, I was too busy grinning and being nervous )

What a great looking plane! You will enjoying flying this plane so much that you will want to sleep with it at night! And dream of flying it all the time! You just had your first date. Hope you have a long term relationship. The plane is very stable, has no bad characteristics and will do many things well. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
rica1

Originally Posted by harlanb
I have a CG Chipmunk on the shelf. I think that will be my next build.
How did you get the cowl color (red) to match your covering so well? what paint did you use?
Thanks
Harlanb, If it's ultracoat covering, don't use ultracoat paint (it didn't hold up well for me). If you have a spray gun you can get (custom matched) two stage auto paint that will hold up well.
There are a number of paints that others like and maybe they will say what covering and paint they like to use. Buy the aftermarket fiberglass cowl and wheel pants, use the plastic ones in the kit as templates. Break out those plans, it's almost Fall.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:32 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I couldn't find it in the view finder for an in flight picture --"

For what it's worth. What I do, is hold the camera in shooting position with both eyes open, then track the plane for a little, close the eye not associated with the view finder, and I an right on.

Les
Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM
kevthomp

What a great looking plane! You will enjoying flying this plane so much that you will want to sleep with it at night! And dream of flying it all the time! You just had your first date. Hope you have a long term relationship. The plane is very stable, has no bad characteristics and will do many things well. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks rica1! I hope to get out and fly it tomorrow evening.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM
fordy8
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think I've seen a build thread with so little building.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Maybe life got in the way of the builder...

Bill S.
Old 12-06-2014, 03:50 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

hi guys
i am building three chipmunks ,i have one done from a freind who had the formers and ribs and the plans ,i forgot to mark the hole for the wing dowel on the former any one know where i drill the 1/4 hole should i center it on both axis ,and does anyone have a uncut abs cowl to sell i need it to make the cut outs so i have a pattern for the new fiberclassic cowls i going to use thanks rye

heres # 1

Name:	chipmunck1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	2052707   Click image for larger version

Name:	chipmunck2.jpg
Views:	1361
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	2052708  
Old 12-06-2014, 04:11 PM
rica1

Rye, I have an ABS cowl. Do you have the wing plan handy? Let me look at the wing plan I have, I think it may have blocks on each side of the dowel, (can't remember). Rick
Old 12-06-2014, 05:22 PM
rye

hi rick
i been looking at the plans there is 1/8 plywood on each side i think it should be centered on both axis ,as for the cowl please email me at [email protected] under chipmunk cowl so we can talk ,thanks rye
Old 12-06-2014, 10:12 PM
rica1

Rye, I think the plans will give you an pretty good idea of where the dowel should go. Also, look at the other Chippys you have. Worse case, you may have to open below the wing LE and be able to see where you want it to go. I'll email you on the cowl. Rick
Old 12-07-2014, 04:40 AM
rye

hi
its the hole in the former on the body i found that it is center on both axis atfer going throw the parts that were left from last years midair of our two chipmunks thanks rye

Name:	last flight (1).jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	2052821   Click image for larger version

Name:	last flight (3).jpg
Views:	1266
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	2052822   Click image for larger version

Name:	last flight (2).jpg
Views:	1244
Size:	670.8 KB
ID:	2052823  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.