Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Old 04-16-2007, 08:36 AM
pcbprotool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

I know this is an old file but CG Chipmunks will seem to be built and flown for ever, my question to those who have resently built the CG Chipmunk is the 3 Aileron 24" long pieces, 2 of them in the kit I'm building are the same size and the 3rd is smaller. Is there something I'm missing here or did they kit this wrong? shouldn't all three be the same size??

Thanks,
PCBPROTOOL
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

Just a guess but maybe the shorter one is supposed to be cut in half and used for the flaps. Not sure just guessing.

Flyboy76
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 AM
pcbprotool

Length is the same it's just a smaller size that the other two...
pcbprotool
Old 04-16-2007, 11:52 AM
RVM

I still haven't touched the kit. I'm probably going to sell it. I've decided that from now on I'm better off just building from scratch or plans to avoid any frustration with parts and wood selection.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM
pcbprotool

Will the plastic motor mount that comes with the kit work with the TT .91 or should I get a stronger/heftier one?? Does aluminum work better with this size engine??

Thanks,

pcbprotool
Old 04-25-2007, 02:25 PM
RVM

I'm not familiar with the TT .91, so I could not say whether it would fit. If it does fit, however, I do believe the stock mount should be plenty for it. If you aren't happy with it use get a Great Planes adjustable mount. I see no reason to use an aluminum mount.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:03 PM
cheechukranch

I have a TT .91 in my Chipmunk and it is the perfect engine for this plane. It's a bit heavy (and powerful!) which helps with balancing. The engine mounts fine on the nylon mount and everything clears the cowl except the rocker arm covers. You will have to dremel out a couple of openings to get the cowl to fit.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:49 PM
gauravag

Nice Thread.
I am just about to start building this kit , and plan on using an OS .61 FX . Anyone has any ideas on using a smoke system with this engine ?
Recommended equipment for this ?
Would love to see smoke with this plane.
Thanks to all
-Gaurav
Old 05-24-2007, 01:40 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi gauravag,

You arn't the bloke who rings up at every dinner time trying to sell me a phone plan are you? Sorry couldn't help myself.

Since the demise of my Ultimate Bipe my Chippy has reverted to being my most flown model. I have a ST75 in mine and whils't I'm sure the 61 would fly it well the 75 is a better match IMHO. The model is a dream to fly and does most manouvers except 3D.

If you want smoke you really need a four stroke or petrol motor (gasser in the USA). The exhaust on a two stroke methanol burner doesn't get hot enough to make good smoke.

Good Luck with the build the model is more than worth the effort.

Cheers,

Colin

Old 05-24-2007, 06:46 PM
NCIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey,

Don't worry about one being shorter. You just need 2 anyway. Use the 2 that match and make sure you make flaps for the landings. You will enjoy building this kit as it is a nice kit to build. All my wood and parts were good and everything fit together great. Mine is on a earlier post on page 5 I think. It's called the Purple People Eater. My Daughter picked the colors and where they went. I haven't flown it yet. It is so pretty I don't know if I ever will. I build for pleasure and then fly a few but I like to fly my RTF Nexstar for relaxation and my Funbtana 100X for aerobatics. It has a Saito 1.25 in it and it halls butt. It will go straight up out of sight. Not to mention hover. But if I wanted to hover I be into Helicopters.

Godd luck with your build,

Gibbs
Old 10-19-2007, 12:40 AM
joeflyer123

Hows it goin guys?I just got my hands on a Super Chipmunk.The 90 sized.Been flying my 4 Star 60 mostly(sweet flyer).Which was my 1st low-wing.Got a Skylane 182 as well I like to take out.For a 90 sized the Chipmunk is small.My 60 4star is bigger,lol.Not sure of the manufacturer,But its is obviously a kit.Built way to good to be an ARF.Got it off a guy for $200,Futaba 6 ch radio,everything set up RTF,with a 91 4s OS.What a deal ha?Any how,lookin forward to puttin that baby airborn 1st sign of a nice day.Been so rainy or windy here latley.If the Chipmunk flies as well as everyone says ,Im sure I'll love it.I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:32 AM
jhcorsair

I built and flew the CG Chipmunk for six years and absolutely loved it until I ignored a warning sign and totaled it at the end of the runway. A few weeks before I was taxiing out and noticed it was pulling pretty good to the right so I trimed it and forgot about it <<<<<<<-------idiot. Whatever was loose completely failed on the rudder linkage while I was doing hammerhead stalls low to the ground. It spun right in and that was the end.

[:@] If it doesen't seem right, it probably isn't.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:41 PM
lrrpcanada

I just got my CG super chipmunk, just about to start the build, is there anything I should beaware of?

Justin
Old 10-22-2007, 09:22 PM
jmv

I was just curious what you think of the kit quality. There have been some posts that the quality has gone down in recent years. I'd like to build this kit so I was interested in you opinion of the die cutting / wood quality. Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 01:32 AM
RVM

The wood quality was mediocre. The laser cutting was really accurate on some parts, and others failed to fit together properly at all. I'm not sure what the deal was. I ended up building three wings for the plane, of which only one came together correctly, and that took quite a bit of fabricating. Maybe it is just me, but I was not at all happy with the kit. Unfortunately CG seems to have lost the quality that they used to be known for.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:33 AM
RVM

By the way I think I still have the fiberglass cowl for it. I got it from Fiberglass Specialities. It's really well-made. If anyone is interested in it let me know. I think I paid about $55 including shipping.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 AM
pcbprotool

I built an older kit but it went together well. Looks like the dies that stamp out the cuts were a little dull but other than that it has gone together well. Your going to hear or read alot of comments on beefing up the landing gear. I added some extra plywood and gussets and I think mine will work well. My Chipmunk will be powered by a Thunder Tiger .91 4 stroke, this balances out the plane perfectly. This was built with no flaps, my radio will convert the ailerons to flaperons which make it go together alot easier. I will cover it this winter and is should be ready to fly next summer. Yellow with black trim will be my paint scheme.

enjoy

pcbprotool
Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 PM
lrrpcanada

The kit is in good condition, It is a few years old, the wood is in great condition, st stared to sort it out. will I hope to get started tomorrow, Ill keep you informed on the progress.

Justin
Old 10-25-2007, 05:50 AM
RVM

Please do let us know. I'd like to see how other's kits turn out.

ORIGINAL: lrrpcanada

The kit is in good condition, It is a few years old, the wood is in great condition, st stared to sort it out. will I hope to get started tomorrow, Ill keep you informed on the progress.

Justin
Old 10-25-2007, 07:31 PM
lrrpcanada

I have a question, if you look at the first post,(page 1) you can see silk strip, I have one in my kit, what in the world is it for??

Justin
Old 10-26-2007, 04:55 AM
RVM

I am not aware of any silk, but there is some light fiberglass that is supplied. It's for joining the two wing halves.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:39 PM
lrrpcanada

is that the light strip thats seen in your pictures on the first page near the bottom of the page?

Justin
Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 PM
RVM

Yep.

ORIGINAL: lrrpcanada

is that the light strip thats seen in your pictures on the first page near the bottom of the page?

Justin
Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
skyboy500

My understanding is that Lanier bought Carl Goldberg, and now... Great Planes/Hobbico has bought Lanier! So, you see, it's either Great Planes/Tower Hobbies/Hobbico or almost nothing... Sad!
Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 PM
pcbprotool

I've decided to use the plastic cowling for now and see how this flies before investing in fiberglass. My question is what does one use to cover up the seams with before painting. They have a dimple along the sides of the seams and I would like to fill it in...

Thanks,

pcbprotool

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.