Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk build

Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 AM
rica1
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. Start at 4 1/4 on the cg. I later moved to 4 5/16 and kept it there. Put the l/gear axles under the wing leading edge, 3" low bounce tires. The tracking is very stable unless your not familiar with a tail dragger. Really nice flying plane. I flew mine for at least five yrs. Let us know how the maiden flight goes and if any questions.

Last edited by rica1; 05-19-2014 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Additional info added.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:38 AM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

If its 4 1/4 then I am nose heavy for sure. I have the axles forward of the LE, and using Dubro LB tires. Its the stock wire LG, but the tail wheel is not stock, I have a larger one with a pull/pull setup and it works quite well, its similar to what you see on an Extra 330 type planes. All my planes except the Apprentice are tail draggers, so this one shouldnt be a problem, it just uses a bit more rudder than the other 2. I had to add 1 3/4 ounces to the cowl to balance. I may pull a 1/4 ounce off though, it just feels a bit too nose heavy during my taxi tests, the tail would pop up on bumps with full up elevator. Part of it is the short fuse, and part is the springy tail gear. I should have it ready with an hours work and be able to try again. If my taxi tests are smoother, and the cowl stays put, It will see sky.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:19 AM
rica1

Acdii,
I think I started at 4 1/8 (about mid range) then went to 4 1/4 and liked the way it flew inverted and in landing. Later 4 5/16 to get it to tumble better. How much farther out from the LE are your axles? What size tires? If your tail is sitting to high off the ground and you have a "hard" wheel, you will probably bounce more. You might try to get the tail sitting lower and put a very soft (abt 1") wheel on. I put pull-pull on as well (much better) and a Klett tail wheel (small and soft rubber), never had problems with bounce. Yes, there is a short tail moment on this plane and may take a little getting used to but the plane is very well behaved in taxi and taking off. My right wheel would touch the ground first in landing and would have to take it off and bend the gear back after a few flights. Probably just me! What's the AUW on your plane? and don't recall what eng you have?
The plane is a very good flyer and most people really enjoy it. I am one of those!
Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 AM
acdii

I have a 1" wheel on the tail, and the recommended mains set per the blue prints. Not sure the weight yet, been a while since I weighed it. I have a Magnum 91 on it with about an hour or so of time on it. Runs really good, very strong, lifted the tail off the table when I had it on the run up stand. Turning a 14X6 or 8 APC right now. I covered it with cloth and painted it with Rustoleum, and made a fiberglass cowl for it from the plastic one that it came with, so if I crack up the cowl I can make a new one in a day. Since it was my very first molded part it does have some pits from air bubbles in it, so its not perfect, but when its flying, you can't see them. Once I finish the tweaks I will weigh it and see how it came out. IIRC the fuse weighed in at 7 pounds.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:29 AM
rica1

Is your tail wheel hard or soft? I even use foam wheels on some planes. My Klett tail wheel axle is 2" from the bottom of the fuse. Your Magnum is a 91 4 stroke? 14x6 is a good prop for that eng. That should fly it very well! I had a OS 91 FX 2 stroke. Your adventurous with the cloth, paint and making a FG cowl. The plastic cowl is not good and if lined with glass is heavy. I use an aftermarket FG cowl. I think it's good to wait till you get the plane dialed in before detailing it, for obvious reasons. Your fuse alone was 7 lbs? My complete plane was 8.2lbs after 2 or 3 repairs. Still flew very well. When do you expect to maiden the plane? Give us a report on it.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:27 PM
acdii

I figured out what I did wrong with the tank, I set it up with 2 clunks and vent. One clunk is feed, the other fill and drain. I had the vent and fill switched out. Got that fixed, changed how the cowl attached and weighed it. Came out at 8 pound, 10 ounces. Took 1/4 ounce off the nose, and will balance it again when I get the time. Now that I can run up the engine without the cowl coming loose its ready for its Maiden flight. Now just a matter of having a good weather day.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:23 PM
rica1

Good to get that taken care of! You'll get much longer flights that way. Do you have all your control throws set per the recommendations? Hope you maiden it soon!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM
danpos

I flew mine today for the first time.
I have a Saito FA-80 in it. It really needs a 91 or 100.

(UPDATE. Since I took the carb apart and cleaned it the performance of the Saito 80 has increased a lot)
(The Saito FA-80 has MORE than enough power to fly this plane very well).

It was my first kit build. So that may explain why mine weighs 8lbs 1oz.
I built it with flaps, which it doesn't need at all.
My plan is to remove the servos to lighten it up a bit.
To build it again I would use less glue and drill holes in the fusilage to lighten it up.
All that said, it is a nice flying plane and I believe when I swap the engine for a Saito 100 I will like this plane even more.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	10171850_851185524894831_4599057748987437227_n.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1997439  

Last edited by danpos; 06-04-2014 at 02:57 AM. Reason: Update info.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM
rica1

Danpos,
How many flights did you do? Yes, 8lbs 1oz is a little on the heavy side and I would use at least the .91, 100 even better, depending on how you like to fly. Mine was right about 8lbs after I repaired it a couple times and it still flew well. I also had flaps and enjoyed playing with it. Doesn't really need them as you said though. What is your cg at?
How much down needed when inverted? Congrats on your first build, you will enjoy the plane. Let us know how it goes.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:05 PM
danpos

I flew it for three hours straight. So a pile of flights. Countless touch and goes.
I didn't fly it inverted much. But it didn't need much down elevator to keep it level.
CG was just under 4".

It has a very rugged air frame.
I'll change the engine soon. I was going to put a Saito 120S in it. But that went in the Top Flite Mustang kit that I have on the bench now.
I'm going to shoot some video of it flying tomorrow. I'll post a link afterwards.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM
rica1

Yeah, let's see some video. What do you like best about the way it flys?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:38 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I have built three of this kit, the first one had a saito 100 and flew good. The last two had a DLE20, retracts, and flew great, it can handle the power and the weight with no problem. A 15-20cc is great for this kit.

TB
Old 05-23-2014, 04:27 AM
acdii

I never would have considered putting a DLE 20 on it, but it does have the room for it.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:17 AM
rica1

TB, Do you have any build threads or photos of your Chippy builds? Would like to see the one with the DLE 20. Rick
Originally Posted by TonyBuilder View Post
I have built three of this kit, the first one had a saito 100 and flew good. The last two had a DLE20, retracts, and flew great, it can handle the power and the weight with no problem. A 15-20cc is great for this kit.

TB
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
TonyBuilder

Yes I do, it is a few years back but it is in kit build.

TB
Old 05-23-2014, 01:00 PM
danpos

Originally Posted by rica1 View Post
Yeah, let's see some video. What do you like best about the way it flys?
What I like the best is how well this plane handles the wind. You can fly it when many others have been grounded.
Plus it glides in for landings very nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU7IQP8ltl0&feature=youtu.be
Old 05-23-2014, 04:23 PM
rica1

Thank you for the video, it makes me want to get another one flying! Your plane fly's very solid like it's on rails and penetrates the wind really well. Also, very stable when it slows down for landing. Did you try the flaps? Mix a little down elevator (about 7-8% to start) when you deploy the flaps (start with about 30% on the flaps) and then have fun playing with it. These amounts are from memory but should be close.
I remember moving the cg back to 4 9/16 at one time (the rear of the cg is 4 5/8), is was borderline to much but great inverted flat spins, KE and landed like a leaf. Does most aerobatics very well (not 3D) and a great plane to fly and advance one's flying skills. I flew mine for about 4-5 yrs and is a great flyer! Hope you have the same experience.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:36 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

" Yes, 8lbs 1oz is a little on the heavy side and I would use at least the .91, "

I keep hearing words like that, but it depends on how you fly. My kit bashed one flew just fine, for me, at a hair under 9 pounds, with an OS 70 4 stroke.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.JPG
Views:	861
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1997863  
Old 05-24-2014, 03:40 PM
rica1

Your right, it depends on how you like to fly. I like aerobatics, vertical capability, pull out of maneuvers etc. I flew the same plane with an OS .61SF and it was ok but with the .91, I could do more things; sustained KE, great snaps, tumble, extended vertical etc. and enjoyed it even more! I would like to put a Saito 100 in one in the future.
As long as we are having fun flying our planes, I think that's important. The input on the forum gives others a chance to see what others have done and they can decide which direction they want to go. Happy flying.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:36 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Your right, it depends on how you like to fly."

I concur 100%; and I like to fly scale ----- scale, i.e. like the real ones flew.

Les
Old 05-25-2014, 10:50 AM
acdii

Mine is a little heavier due to using Rustoleum to paint it. With the 91 and the right prop, either a 14X6 or 14X8, or even a 13X8, it should fly nice and scale like. I also tend to build on the strong side with plenty of Titebond at all joints. it was so close to take off at just partial throttle that it will most likely leap in the air. It is all ready for its maiden flight.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM
danpos

[QUOTE=danpos;11809540]I flew mine today for the first time.
I have a Saito FA-80 in it. It really needs a 91 or 100.

Well, today at the flying field I discovered that the saito was starving for fuel. After cleaning out the tank and lines, plus cleaning the gunk out of the filters the peformance was better. Also one of the guys who has decades of experience adjusted the needles.
it works much better now. He suggested I try a 13x8 or a 14x6 prop next.
It is working much better now. Still needs a little more power. But it is ok with the Saito 80 after all.
Old 05-26-2014, 02:44 AM
TonyBuilder

Originally Posted by rica1 View Post
TB, Do you have any build threads or photos of your Chippy builds? Would like to see the one with the DLE 20. Rick

Here is the build with the DLE20.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...d-rebuild.html

TB
Old 05-26-2014, 12:26 PM
acdii

Well good news, I maidened her today. Took a bit of right aileron to trim out, quite obvious when on the ground now, so might re-trim next flight with rudder, to compensate so it can have full throws in both directions. Slight up trim was all that was needed to stay level. Engine still needs some run time on it, not quite broken in yet. It burbles a bit, and not 100% smooth, but after all it barely has an hour on it. I have a feeling that once I get the quirks smoothed out this plane will fly on rails. Landing was just as described, nice and level all the way down. The one thing I must do is put larger wheels on it. They are too small for grass, as soon as the wheels touched grass, I heard them shoosh in the grass and the planed nosed in. I am not sure if it was 100% the tall grass or if I caught a gofer hole with the left wheel as it is slightly bent.

So two things to do, larger wheels and reattach the exhaust diverter, it fell off the first time I started it and now there is a brown spot on the cowl from the exhaust. Other than that, nice flying plane, I believe I will enjoy this one.

Curoius, might ask this in a different forum, would having not enough right thrust cause A.) pull to the left on takeoff that requires an unusual amount of rudder, and B.) the roll to the left? If I add a washer to the left mount, would that be enough to compensate for both?
Old 05-31-2014, 06:03 PM
acdii

Goofy freaking forum. I had something all typed up, wouldnt let me post is saying I logged in after logging in. What?

SO I copied what I wrote, reloaded my browser, went to paste it in, and it pasted something totally different. Grr

Anyhow, long story shirt, Rebalanced at 4 5/16th, plane handled PERFECTLY on the ground. Found the glow plug was bad, replaced it, tuned engine, it ran great, went to field, took off, nice and straight, little rudder needed, got it up, engine died, wind pushed it out, kept stalling trying to come towards the field, and flopped down in the field a half mile away. going to need a few hours to repair the wing hold downs, wing, and one elevator. Stripped an aileron servo. I dont know why the engine died it ran great, good top end, good idle, no stumble through the throttle, would idle for over a minute and go WOT without a hiccup, but when it was in the air for about a minute at WOT, it just quit.

I dont know if maybe it over heated, on the ground I ran with the cowl off, but put it on to fly it. Anyhow, I put it on a shelf for now, I want to get my Cub finished first, and I have spent enough time with this plane.

For the few minutes I flew it though, It really flew nice, but if I cant get the engine to run reliably, it isn't worth my time. For one the plane is small, and part of the reason it got away from me is due to losing coordination due to its size. I could not tell if it was, up, down, left or right at times. The angle of the sun played a large part in this too since the winds were ESE and the sun was in the west, right in the direction I would be coming in to land from, so the plane went from nice red white and blue on the bottom with the white stripes on top, to black no matter which direction it was. When facing the wind though, it slowed enough to stall, and it was too far out to try to drop the nose to pick up speed, so every time it did this, it got pushed further way.

Once I get my Cub finished, I will go back to this one and spend the few hours it needs to get it repaired and see if I can figure out what killed the engine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.