Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Giant Aeromaster

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Giant Aeromaster

Old 06-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Giant Aeromaster

Hey Guys....here's a link directly to the new ARF version of the Giant Aeromaster, on the Great Planes web site.
http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1225.html
Old 06-18-2006, 07:25 PM
aa2dd

hi all .....

My G.A. has G62 with CH electronic ignition. weight is 21# 2oz less fuel. With the G-62/22x8 prop, it flies great. straight up. I set the balance so that when inverted, it flies with neutral elevator control. i love it powered in this manner. I set the top wing at -2 degree incidence. Very stable so far. Just done her maiden flight lil over a week ago. Still have some areas to iron out, but so far, I love it.

Bruce
Old 04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

here we are a year almost since the last post, and I'm very happy to report that I've FINALLY got my G.A. Into the air yesterday! Took it out to the field, actually with no intentions of flying her at all. Winds were 90 degrees to the runway, and about 12-15 mph. I was only gonna start up the engine and see how she ran, do some range checks etc. Well, after I got it running with no problems at all, range check was great, I shut it down and starting bs'ing with the guys gathered around the pits. Next thing ya know, i've got the bottom wing off, checking everything to make sure it's all snug and secure, and decided no time like the present! Taxied out, no problem, set her to low rates, pointed it sorta into the wind as much as possible and started to push the throttle. She broke ground at about half throttle, and started climing like the proverbial home sick angel! Quick on the elevator trim, ok... now a click or two of aileron, and lo and behold, she's hands off! Took a couple of laps around the field, one or two aileron rolls, and then in to land.. Touch down was perfect, even in the crosswind! After a bit, i checked all the nuts and bolts, found everything tight. Fueled her up, and tried it again. This time I wasn't so gentle, Snaps, wing-overs, avalanches, knife-edge a full lap around the field, Hey, this thing is fun! Finally decided that it seemed a bit tail heavy, so instead of pushing my luck, brought her in for another greaser and shut her off.. All in all, a great inaugural flight, er, flights! gonna do a bit of re-distributing of batteries, etc. to get rid of the tail heavy (I put the elevator and rudder servos in the tail, G62 up frong) but it should be pretty minor. BTW, it's the Kit version, not the ARF. Finished with Stits fabric, Brodak dope, and a lot of sweat!

Hopefully get some pics up here soon!

Old 04-22-2007, 05:04 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Too bad nobody smokes anymore--this would be a great occasion to pass out cigars. Sounds like you're in for a first class flying season. Giant Aeromaster has to be one of the top all-time kits. It and the G62 were made for each other.

Is your engine stock with magneto, or did you convert to electronic ignition?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Congratulations mcmike. You are really going to love that plane. I'm crazy about mine and still fly it a lot. Same combination.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:43 PM
dmcmike

It's got the mag on it. I was apprehensive about keeping it stock, with the mag. Almost sent it in to RCIGN for his conversion, still might as a matter of fact. But it's got the spring starter on it, and that works great, plus, like I mentioned, she seems a bit tail heavy, so I'll probably leave it alone for awhile. This makes my 6th Aeromaster, everything from the old AAMCO kit, (of which I built several), a couple of GP's, one of which is still hanging in the hanger, and now the Giant. Without a doubt, one of the best flying bipes ever. At least it's gonna be until I get my new 50CC Ultimate done... hehe. Thanks guys! Oh, and BTW, I did bust out a Macanudo when I got done with that second flight!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I noticed Bad Shirt had the Aeromaster ARF pictured in his February article the Big Picture while telling his readers about ARFs so it shouldn't be long before he tells us what he really thinks of it.
For those who don't subscribe to RC Report your going to miss it. Always nice to know the truth about that new wonder plane before you buy it.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
damifino

MCMIKE- Did you ever have an Aeromaster with both wings swept? I have seen the Lou Andrews plans with that build option. If so, are the flight characteristics a lot different with both swept and how so? Thanks

Chevelle- I noticed your Aeromaster is double swept, any comments?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 PM
dmcmike

I never built one with both swept. I suspect it might be a bit more severe or touchy on stalls, since you have in effect a smaller MAC than with just the upper swept. I've built them all with the upper wing swept, and either shorter than or same wingspan as the upper for the lower wings. The only thing I noticed different with the fullspan lower wings was a bit more 'float' on landing. The roll rate was about the same for both.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Chevelle
My Feedback: (2)

About mine being double swept, I really can't say if it has an effect or not since I have never flown a Giant with a straight bottom wing. The Giant and the original are naturally so different that I don't know if I can draw any conclusion based on the original having a straight bottom and the Giant have a swept bottom.

I must say that I have been a little disappointed with my Giant. Oh, it flies OK but the builder made it very heavy and it required even more weight in the tail to balance. I have another kit that I will build soon and I expect to enjoy it much more. I definitely know the original is a fabulous plane and expect my new Giant to be just as good.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM
dmcmike

I can sympathize with the weight of the GA Kit. Basically, it's built the same as the 60 size, slab sides, etc. If I were to do it all over, I'd truss the sides of the fuse to start, get rid of all the excess weight there. I built mine with 3 servos in the tail, so my balance is pretty close without any added weight. It came in just a touch tail heavy, so i'm going to try shifting some batteries around before I add any lead.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Big_Bird

I am curious what the GA ARF weighs with what engine. Mine, built from the GP kit, weighs 21 pounds with a G-62. I had to add about 1 ounce of weight to the tail. I modified it a lot to keep the weight down. At that weight with the G-62 it has outstanding performance.

A few months back I made a mod to the inter plane struts that you might like. I think it looks good and is quicker to assemble. I can't tell any difference in the way that it flies.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46931.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	675375   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19542.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	675376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58927.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	675377  
Old 04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
rogue-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Congrats on your flight. I just sold my GS aeromaster a couple of months ago Big mistake I had her for over 4 years. It had a G45 up front and flew like a homesick bird. love that plane.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Big_Bird

Robert it would be way to hard for me to part with mine. When I tore it up last year I started rebuilding it as soon as I got home. I've had it at least 4 years.