Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top Flight F4U Corsair engine???

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top Flight F4U Corsair engine???

Old 07-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Tjen il-vec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flight F4U Corsair engine???

Hi all,

I've got a pretty ambitous idea about powering my T.F. Corsair I'm afraid [:-]. It`s not the giant scale model but the normal Gold Edition kit. I wonder if it is possible at all to fit a FA170R3 Saito radial in this model? Or am I way out of line with this engine-configuration? The thing is that I would like to have a suitable engine in this Corsair or even a bit more. First the FA90R3 crossed my mind but with it's 0.95 HP it obviously not powerful enough so I'd thought to go for the FA170R3.... possible or stupid?? [sm=confused.gif]

Thanks!

Tjen il-Vec

Old 07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
Tjen il-vec

Default RE: Top Flight F4U Corsair engine???

Anyone? []
Old 07-31-2006, 10:19 PM
lrb75
My Feedback: (12)

The saito 90 radial would probably fly it if you keep it light, but it would be close. I belive if you search some people have flown the Hangar 9 Corsair (Same size as the Top Flite, but usually lighter) with that engine. The 170 would be too big for the cowl. I would go with any one of the single cylinder four stroke like the saito 100 or os 91. My TF AT-6 Texan fly great on a Magnum 91.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Tjen il-vec

Hi Irb75,

Thanks for your opinion. So if I'm not mistaken I have to stick with the 4 stroke one-cylinders ... Saito unfortunately doesn't offer other radials between .90 and 1.70. That's a pretty big gap as far as I'm concerned. But that's how it is

I thought about fitting the 90R3 anyway but that's against knowing better I'm afraid.

To keep this T.F. Corsair flight weight to a minimum in order to accept the 90R3 is an almost impossible task with the fuselage and wings covered in glass-coating as well as having a complete scale retractable landing gear.

Well... a FA125 will to the job just fine apart from the fine sound coming with a radial... []
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a ST90 2-stroke with a slimline large volume pitts muffler. Except for the exhaust pipes it fit totally inside the cowl. You have to use the baffle on the cowl to keep it from overheating. That muffler gave the ST.90 a nice deep growl uncharacteristic of 2-strokes.
Edwin
Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

currently working on a TF 60 size P-47 going with a small gas engine the BCMA 26 aprox.the size of the sato 125 just a bit larger but will fit in the big cowl with some minor trimming
Old 08-03-2006, 03:19 AM
Tjen il-vec

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I used a ST90 2-stroke with a slimline large volume pitts muffler. Except for the exhaust pipes it fit totally inside the cowl. You have to use the baffle on the cowl to keep it from overheating. That muffler gave the ST.90 a nice deep growl uncharacteristic of 2-strokes.
Edwin
You've got a fine engine there my friend! I used the same engine for the Mick Reeves FW190d9 along with a Hatori tuned pipe and it sounds great and has plenty of power, I agree on that!

But to keep you all informed I decided to go for the FA100T Saito. This is a twin 4 stroke engine with 1,4BHP and total engine weight of 29 OZ. It swings a 14x6 prop so that's the minimum size what I think of it to be. And it should fit nicely into the cowl according to the dimentions of this engine.
Maybe if I run the engine (after it's well broken in) with 30% nitro, I'm able to crank out a bit more horsepower to get the Corsair to fly more agile. Never tried it because I use the same fuel with 5% nitro for all of my 4 stroke engines. But first I've got to inform myself about what the possibilities are with adding nitro to get more power.

Cheers!

Tjen il-Vec

Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
stratosn
My Feedback: (26)

I flew mine with a 120 four stroke. I am sure a Super Tigre 90 will do. Nick