Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sterling, Stinson Reliant

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sterling, Stinson Reliant

Old 08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
SoonerAce
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling, Stinson Reliant

I have gotten about 2/3 through building a Stinson Reliant (SR 9, I believe). But have just basically burned out of the intricate detail involved in this kit. It appears that it was built from aeroengineering designs, instead of RC design. Don't get me wrong. It is a awesome plane, and I will enjoy flying it at funflys and such. but after that, shes goin on a mantle to admire. I plan on colors of Cream and Dark Red Monocoat. Ive taken a little break from her, as, like I said, she was gettin the better of me. While I let my gray matter cool, is there anything that you veteren flyers of vintage beauty would like to tell us about, regarding the Sterling Stinsons? Building, Flight, Power, Pros, Cons etc...??
Old 08-25-2006, 10:23 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Sterling, Stinson Reliant

Well, I'm not an expert, but I've flown my Grandfather's Sterling Stinson for a good number of flights. First off, it's an SR-7 and not SR-9. The wing is a pain in the hinderquarters to build, but worth every minute. The struts are worth doing. You will want to reinforce the farings though. The fuse can be lightened and strengthened considerably by building it like a normal kit.

I hope this helps!
50%
Old 08-26-2006, 01:26 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I think it might just be a venial sin to use Monokote. No, whats that ? Just in from the Vatican, its a mortal sin ! Better use fabric and say 3 Hail Marys for thinking of using Monokote.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:36 AM
TomCrump

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd have to agree. Using MoneyKote is a mortal sin. Powering it with a 2 stroke would be, too. [sm=wink_smile.gif]

The Stinson is a beautiful model. I'm sure that you will enjoy it.
Old 08-26-2006, 06:40 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

lol It flys terrific Monokoted with a two stroke motor.

Seriously, the plane will build heavy and fabric/4 strokes will only increase the weight. Also, it's a pretty small plane.

50%
Old 09-06-2006, 10:15 PM
da50ex

SoonerAce,
How about some pictures? I'm about to start one myself. anyone know what years these kits were produced?
John
Old 09-14-2006, 07:35 AM
airbatic

Oh man, you missed the real fun. You should have built Top Flite's Stinson Reliant, SR-9. Oh baby! Woo-wee!

Kraus