Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Modern day finishes for silk and nylon?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Modern day finishes for silk and nylon?

Old 08-28-2006, 10:04 AM
Red B.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modern day finishes for silk and nylon?

As a long time kit and plans model aircraft builder I enjoy finishing my aircraft in the traditional way, using silk or nylon for covering and applying a dope finish. The result is light, strong, long lived and it stands out amongst all plastic covered ARFs.

Unfortunately I find it increasingly difficult to locate and purchase dope and cellulose-based paints. Automotive 2-component paints are fine, but messy to handle because of its toxicity.

What are you other guys using to finish your silk or nylon covered aircraft? Has anybody tried polyurethane paint on a heat-shrink nylon covering such as SIG Koverall? What about the same varnish on silk as a substitute for dope? Will it work? Is there any tendency for polyurethane varnish to shrink like dope does? Does water-based acrylic paints work well on top of water-based polyurethane varnish?
What about water-based latex paints?

I would really like to hear other peoples experiences and thoughts. In Sweden, where I live, cellulose-based paints and varnishes are quickly disappearing quickly from the shelves. Rumor has it that cellulose based products will be banned altogether within the Europen Union within a couple of years because of environmental and health issues. I really need to find alternatives...

/Red B.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:29 AM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: Modern day finishes for silk and nylon?

Sig still sells lots of dope products. I've heard that you can use krilon as a dope substitute but have never tried it.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:39 AM
WacoNut

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Sig Koverall,
I apply the covering with nitrate dope then heat shrink the covering. I fill the weave with Minwax Polycrylic then paint with Latex. I then clear coat with Nelson's Hobby Specialties clear gloss. This makes a very light durable finish that is fuel proof up to 15% nitro.
The Cub pic in my avatar was covered and finished this way.
Anthony
Old 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Red B.

My problem is that I find it very difficult to obtain Sig or Brodak products. Apparently such items as dope and paints can not be sent by airmail from the U.S. to Europe (or within Europe for that matter). Previously I have used Sig's and Brodak's products a lot but my supply is dwindling fast...

/Red B.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Red B.

ORIGINAL: CubNut
I use Sig Koverall,
I apply the covering with nitrate dope then heat shrink the covering. I fill the weave with Minwax Polycrylic then paint with Latex. I then clear coat with Nelson's Hobby Specialties clear gloss. This makes a very light durable finish that is fuel proof up to 15% nitro.
The Cub pic in my avatar was covered and finished this way.
Anthony
Thank you for describing your method of finishing, very helpful! I will try that on my next build, a Liberty Sport biplane.

Now I have to find out if a similar finish can be used with silk :-)

/Red B.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:55 AM
AERORICH73

Red B. Here is Nelson's Hobby Specialies website address: www.nelsonhobby.com Their address is: 2900 S.W. Cornelius Pass Rd., Hillsboro, Oregon 97123; phone #503-259-8899. This
outfit is into water base paints which has been used by hobbiest for years. No more bad stuff
for the lungs when using these paints. Because they are water based, I would think shipping by
air would be possible. Good luck finishing your biplane.

Rich S. ([email protected])
Old 08-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Red B.

Perfick :-)!

Tank you Rich for the link to Nelson's Hobby Specialties. Their paint systems seem to be worth trying out.
I didn't even know that water reducible two part epoxy primer exists. Definitely got to try this out.

/Red B.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:46 PM
amilder

I've done the same, Koverall, Minwax polycrylic, latex paint. Only I top-coated with TopFlite LustreKote Clear for the fuel proofing stage. There were no problems with adhesion of the latex to the polycrylic. Andy