Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

house of balsa p51 .20

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

house of balsa p51 .20

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: house of balsa p51 .20

Yrs ago I build one of these planes to use as a combat model, although I had the gear blocks in the wings I never added the wire or had any gear on it ,Hand Launch!. I also used a 28 XLS Magnum which is the same size as the 25 but it was a tight fit. Your MVVS will also be a tight fit but should be great power. Lay the engine and mount on the plans to see if the firewall needs to be moved back to accept that engine. Since my plane was not legal to fly in meets with the 28 I sold it. At that time a 15 was the largest engine a person could use for a inline plane, and it just was not enough to be competive.
My set up flew very good and was fairly fast no probs hand launching when they will pull out of your hand *L* I also used mini servos with one in each wing, IMO that is the only way to go.
With the kind of power your going to add to this plane it will get out there fast and as small as they are it will go away in no time at all, Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:28 AM
draftman1

I built one 20 yrs ago, I never really got to fly it. I just found a kit from omni hobbies, this time I will get to fly it. what would be the best engine for it?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:54 PM
rc-junkyard

How come every time I see a picture of this plane, nobody has ailerons on it? The kit has it set up for ailerons and I'm beginning to wonder if I really need them. I would suggest you fit the engine BEFORE you glue in the firewall. My .25 LA barely made it. I think a .15 would fit better, this is an old kit and the engines were smaller back then. Or a .25 with the needle valve up near the prop would work very good I think more room to move the engine back. This is my first build so there is quite a bit to learn, not the best plane to learn on. I have a Sig Trainer to build and that will go much easier I'm sure.

Anyway . . .
Old 03-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Cyberwolf

I wouldn't think of building the plane WO ailerons the rudder can be set solid (For Combat) but not the ailerons.
I had to move the F.W. back for the larger engine 25 size and still needed to extend the nose a little for things to line up good. The cowling was another story but can be done with a little patience.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 AM
draftman1

I was going to put an os 25 la in mine but now I might not. I guess I could move the needle valve closer to the carb, I can modify just about anything. or I have a k&b 20 sportster that might fit better
Old 03-08-2008, 10:57 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one of these with an old magnum gp25 bushing engine and it was more then enough power. I had one standard servo in the center of the wing setup according to the plans and it worked fine, but I always use one servo per aileron now. I would say the plane flew very well, but its probably the hardest plane to fly that I've ever owned. Its fairly fast, very small, and extremely manuverable.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 AM
rc-junkyard

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

I had one of these with an old magnum gp25 bushing engine and it was more then enough power. I had one standard servo in the center of the wing setup according to the plans and it worked fine, but I always use one servo per aileron now. I would say the plane flew very well, but its probably the hardest plane to fly that I've ever owned. Its fairly fast, very small, and extremely manuverable.
That is what I was afraid of, I think I'm going to need a lot of airtime before I fly this plane. Since it was designed for up to a .20 that could be why anything bigger is hard to fit. I think the magnum engine would be a better fit by looking at the pictures. The .15 la engine isn't much smaller but it helps. Hopefully I can tone it done a bit with the radio settings to make it easier to fly.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Cyberwolf

Yep the smaller the plane is, the harder they are to fly as a rule of thumb. I would not recomend this plane for a novice or second airplane by no means, mine didn't have any bad habits I remember, but it was fairly fast and was fairly agile.
Whatever you do don't over throw anything. A 20 size engine would be fine or even maybe a hard running 15 if your going to use gear. Where I hand launched and at my alitude neither of them would work very well for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:31 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just purchased one for my kid's birthday. I plan to use a really strong TT .15 in it (turns a Master Airscrew 8X4 to 15000) . We have no plans for competition and I was wondering if anyone would recommend changing the airfoil to a flat bottom for better slow speed handling? I don't see that it would be very difficult but the kit has not arrived yet and I am an inexperienced builder. I plan to have a master builder help me out ( he can and does build Anything) ! I would like to use the lightest components as possible to keep it docile. We also have several trainers including a level 2 Corsair before we jump on the Mustang.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM
jeffk464

Nope, I recommend building the kit as is. I think the best way to make it easier to fly is to try and save weight everyplace you can(lighter wing loading = easier to fly). Going with a .15 is a good step for keeping it light, also use mini servos, and go with a nimh receiver battery AAA size. Its really not a bad flying plane, its just that its size makes it a real challenge.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
draftman1

just got mine from omni, brings back alot of memories Jeffie8696, are you good at building? if you are and if I wanted a slower plane is, I would first make duplicates of all of the peices, fusalage and tail feathers. build the fus and feathers with the cut out pieces and build a flat bottom wing from scratch. and not make it as tapered. learn to fly it then build the original kit parts when you get better at flying. then you will have a new, as designed mustang to fly. and like the previs poster, keep as light as possible. when this kit was first designed, the small servos just didnt exist. now we have the advantage on weight
Old 03-17-2008, 02:48 PM
jeffie8696

Yes I had heard it flies well with the standard servos and was planning to use the much lighter Mini' servos and my microstamp receiver , also looking into the lightest battery pack I can. With the smaller components I am thinking if the weight can be kept well foreword then it will balance without ballast. In order to change the wing airfoil profile what will need to happen? I am very keen on the idea of keeping th original components original and just making a training wing of sorts for it. But I do not have the kit here so I do not even know how the wing attaches to the fuse. Anything can be done!! My friend just put a Norvel 061 on a Parkzone Cub of all things. It SCREAMS[X(]. I'm surprized he hasn't torn the wings off it's so fast. HMMMM A Delta wing Parkzone Cub? Maybe? [sm=lol.gif]
Old 03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
draftman1

I need to look at it but I think it is a single dowel in the front and two screws in the back. I will open my kit and look at the plans, I will try to draw how I think it would be done. I am not responsible for any failures, just the successes.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 PM
jeffie8696

My kit should be here in a few days. I was thinking that the airfoil shape could be easily modified by changing the shape of the ribs. We shall see. I have been told my 15 won't handle it and to just use one of my .25s but if I can keep the final weight down I don't see why it wouldn't be OK.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Cyberwolf

I would NOT change the wing, but I would maybe add some washout to it while building it.
Your altitude and total RTF weight is going to determine the size of the engine you will need to use . HOB has already made a wing mod that makes the wing more of a sport scale type wing which greatly helps with the lift, ease of flying and landings. The wing loading is 14.6 - 18.6 oz per sq in. What I would do is add up all the components before I started to build and see where you fall in for a wing load. Don't forget the covering material,glue, tires,prop,tank and spinner. Its almost impossible to get a exact weight but you should be able to get within a couple oz's .
Heres a page that has the formula for wing loading .
http://www.modelflight.com/wing.html

From already building this model with a larger engine and full size servos I found the plane not to have any bad habits on landings and flew well, I didnt use gear so I did save some weight there.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
jeffie8696

Thank You for the positive input. It would appear that building to the original plans and using good modern lightweight components might be the key. I already have 2 nice OS .25 FPs so one is probably going under the hood but the new Thunder Tiger GP .28 looks tempting. If anyone has any experience withthis engine please let us know. I may try putting one of my light weight high output .15s in it if I can keep the weight to a minimum.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 AM
jeffk464

I have one suggestion, if you already have both size engines build the plane and use the engine that balances the plane without adding lead. It could very well be that you need the weight of the larger engine.

By the way my mustang had a very old magnum .25 bushing engine and the combo had heaps of power. I used all full size servos, standard 600mah battery, and early 1990's large bulky receiver.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:10 AM
jeffie8696

I was hoping to lower the wing loading and stall speed with light weight components . I would love to see this be a stable fun flyer for my daughter without the Need For Speed so to speak.