Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

AStrohog main gear

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

AStrohog main gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AStrohog main gear

I need to know how strong the astrohog main gear is.... I know it is an old kit but for those of us making it a tailwheel, how strong are the mains and how much forward angle is required? Any ideas on changing the directions in this regard to make it better? I am moving that way in regards to a serious kit bash.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AStrohog main gear

Wish I hadn't had a system crash and lost the photos of my highly modified AstroHog. I mounted an aluminum landing gear just ahead of the wing on the fuselage bottom. Never had it tear out yet. The axle is about one inch ahead of the leading edge +/-. Ground handling is great. I also cut the dihedral in half and got rid of the hardwood spar in the horizontal stab. I felt that the squared tail surfaces didn't match the rounded wing, so I scaled the wing tip curve down and reshaped the fin and stab. Looks MUCH better.

I also totally re-engineered the kit to lighten it for e-power and it flies at 6.5 lbs with an Astro 40G and 24 3300 mah NiMh cells.

I've flown it with and without flaperons. The biggest difference with them is square corner type maneuvers.

Thinking about putting it on floats next season.

Walt
Old 10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: AStrohog main gear

It's typical to have the mains at the leading edge or one inch forward of the wing.

Back too far and the plane noses over.

Too far forward and the plane will bounce back in the air on landing unless the plane is completely stalled.