Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"Good job building"..TOO FUNNY..have to share.....

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"Good job building"..TOO FUNNY..have to share.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:50 AM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Good job building"..TOO FUNNY..have to share.....

I got a good chuckle this morning and thought I would pass it on. In the gas engine forum there is a post on a Q.Q. 73" YAK. There are several pictures of the plane, which by the way I find very nice looking. Another member commented to the Poster on what a great job the Poster did on the plane...especially the cowl cutouts for the engine...... I just found that funny....LOL. I guess that is where we are these days when trimming an ARF's cowl to fit the engine/muffler impresses people.....LOL......
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Bob Laine
My Feedback: (91)

Default RE: "Good job building"..TOO FUNNY..have to share.....

Nothing unusual about giving someone a compliment. Besides...have you noticed most of the "butchered" cowls at your field? Bob
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Dr1Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The compliment about the cowl was proper. Yup, Bob, I see a LOT of butchered engine cowls at the field. It's difficult to align a cowl and cut the access holes properly without slicing and dicing the cowl. Let's see some of YOUR engine cowls, loser.

Dr.1
Old 11-01-2006, 09:23 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry you guys missed Loser's point. And it is sad that all there is to praise the guy for is the cowl cut outs. It may get to the point some day that you can order an arf for the specific engine you want to put in the plane. Then cutting the cowl will not be the major challenge that arf assemblers have to accomplish.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Bob Laine

MY Models
Old 11-01-2006, 09:36 AM
Bob Laine

Bring em on........
Old 11-01-2006, 09:54 AM
loser

SORRY.....didn't mean to ruffle anyones feathers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with compliments in any form. It just struck me as funny. I agree it is a beautiful plane (ARF) and the assembler did a good job cutting the cowl and yes I have seen some "ugly stuff"...even on ARF's. I guess to me it doesn't take a lot to tape some construction paper to the front of the fuselage and cut out templates around the engine and mufflers... Then removing the engine and mounting the cowl and cutting out the req. openings using the template. I agree it is a beautiful plane and the cowl looks very good...... but its still just an ARF. Anyone these days can have a very nice looking and flying sport plane....it just takes a few dollars and an evening or two. I have several ARF's and fly them a lot....they just don't mean nearly as much to me as planes that I built.... they are purely to fly the heck out of....

DR1...not too good with the dig. cam./comp. thing but I will see what I can round up....
Old 11-01-2006, 10:09 AM
Dr1Driver

Now that's a post I can agree with, loser. Some people don't have the time, space, or skill to build, and for them, ARFs are the answer. Personally, I'll never build one. It IS sad that all you have to do to get in the air is glue a few big pieces together and cut the engine cowl. Having said that, it's good to see that what he DID have to do, he did well.

Dr.1
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
loser

DR1.....I am posting a few pics. of a few of my planes that I just pulled from one of my clubs websites. These are pictures from our annual mall show. The do not show cowl close ups but will give you an idea of what I am into. The Mustang has more detail now and the gear doors were not on in these pics. The club is The York Area rc club. Pretty decent website. I am the "dooff" standing next to my framed up Pitts.

The mustang is a Nosen with a Quadra 75 and Likes line electric retracts. Flies okay at 40lbs. but wouldn't hurt to have a bit more power.

The Pitts Model 12 is the 35% from Bob Trueworthy. Has a 3W 1.40 in it. Did not get it finished for this year but is on the list to finish this winter.

the fokker is finished with fabric and dope. Only has a magnum .91 in it but it flies so incredibly scale like.......scale loops with just enough power to stall/flop a bit at the top. Slightly smaller loops are nice and round.

The edge is from Giant Scale planes. Its pretty but pretty heavy. It had a 3w 85 in it which is okay for most stuff but it doesn't hurt to have more stick left.....ugh...ugh.....ala Tool Time Tim....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98975.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	552481   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44982.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	552482   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75210.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	552483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58722.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	552484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz37140.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	552485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mo13913.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	552486  
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Dr1Driver

Very nice planes, "dooff". I see you like WWI birds. That's my favorite. My wife likes WWII and I'm gonna build her a Corsair F-4U this winter. I'll have to find some of my past planes and post them. Thanks for posting yours.

Dr.1
Old 11-01-2006, 12:36 PM
loser

These pics. are only a few that I had quick access to through my club website. I should dig out some photos of others and post them on my profile....I am no "top gun" scale level guy, but some of them came out pretty good. As for era/theme prefference I love them all....but....unfortunately that can be a double edged sword.... there is only so much time available. I usually run out of steam or get interested in another project and the end product / finish suffers sometimes. I have never FULLY detailed a plane to the max.... I am planning on building a Balsa USA Nueiport 28 this winter. I have had it sitting for a while and its time has come. I am planning/hoping to follow through on this one and "go the extra yard".

Just a bit more clarification about my starting this post..... ARF's are great and I fly several of them but it just "irks" me to know end that the words build or building or construction are now routinely used when talking about assembling an ARF. To me that is such a dis-service to the builders still out there, especially the good ones. I know the argument/discussion has been beat to death all over this site. Many times people use those words and dont give it a second thought.... I know that building is a choice now. I know that ARF's have really opened the door for many people to try this hobby. I understand ARF's are taking over and they are probably the only part of the hobby that many newcomers have experience with. I still like to build and feel pride and satisfaction when I am finished but, if they start covering some of these ARF's in fabric, glass and paint with a bit more detailing.......Oh man...I may just throw in the towel.....LOL
Old 11-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do like me. Build ugly so everyone can tell at a glance it's not an ARF.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:49 PM
loser

LOL....I do that occasionally...... Will consider doing it all the time now.....
Old 11-01-2006, 01:57 PM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

Thats my excuse for why all my planes work cruddy. Been in this hobby for six years and still put more winkles than smooth spots on my covering jobs.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:29 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ruffle away. Now this is a thread that I can really sink my teeth into. %%$#@@@$% ARF's anyway. If they could build, they would. No time my #$% ![:'(]. Gimme a little time and I'll tell you how I really feel.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What happened to everyone??? This has all the making's of a good thread, and you guys ran off.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-06-2006, 10:54 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I display my planes without cowels to show off my engines.
NOT!
No matter what kind of plane it is, ARF or Kit, I murder the cowel. My TF P-51, great build, nice and true, covering without a wrinkle, and guess what, I had to order three cowels just to get one that look semi decent, and even then, It looked like a kindergarten art project.

GP Cherokee, well, I'd rather not explain that one either.

TF Corsair, glad I went fiberglass.

PICA Corsair, alass, I found a kit with a plastic cowel that I didn't commit homocide with. I got that big circle cut out semisymetrical. YIPPEE for me.

Scott