Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How did we ever survive before CA glue?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How did we ever survive before CA glue?

Old 11-12-2006, 03:22 PM
west6008

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did we ever survive before CA glue?

I was framing up a glider fuselage this morning and decided to economize
on my zap bottle by using some old fashioned wood glue.........

Out with the pins and rubber bands, cross-pieces falling on the floor,
a busted longeron, a call from downstairs to stop swearing.

I wasnt long going back to the zap bottle!
Old 11-12-2006, 03:29 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: How did we ever survive before CA glue?

We survived because we were all high on Ambroid!
Old 11-12-2006, 04:14 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had patience then......
Old 11-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Test005

I'm building with wood glue and I prefer it.
The CA is useful for hinges and special applications, but otherwise I'm happier with wood glue. It's easier to work with in my opinion because I tend to get the CA everywhere else then where it's supposed to go and the smell makes me sick.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:26 PM
Ugo Ferrari
My Feedback: (1)

We were in no hurry in the old days...We enjoyed the building, took pride in good wood joints and waking up in the morning. going to the board, pulling all the pins out of the previous nights work and picking up our wing or what ever, to admire our workmanship ! Oh, yeah.. and biting the glue off our finger tips ! Hey, "Old Guys" Do you remember ??
Ugo
Old 11-12-2006, 05:33 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

I use allot of thin CA with a fine dropper tip on my projects and it gets things done quick and prefer it for balsa.
when I was building when I was a kid 11 or 12 I used Testers wood glue head ache city, that was 30 years ago it worked pretty good as I recall, for a quick setting alphatic resin glue tite bond works the best for me( I buy it by the gallon for work) sets quick and low odor the old Elmers type is too slow on its initial set time even tite bond takes time to dry fully but it has good tack and holds great some of my club members use nothing else a good tip by one of them was use a acid brush for application and thin the glue down slightly with water to save weight so it doesn't pool up and it works well lots of good modelers in our club
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM
glover1482

"How did we ever survive before CA glue?"

If you were allergic to regular CA like I am... then the answer is just fine, thank you! I've moved to Super 'Phatic! which I get from Hobby-Lobby for all thin CA applications. I occasionally desire to use regular CA, but my lungs say... no way! Odorless CA does not bother me, but I don't take the chance of using it.

Fly safe, Glover
Old 11-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Stickbuilder

We had plenty of time then to cut the parts out with the Xacto knife or razor blade, and sand them smooth and to shape while we were waiting for the glue joints to dry. This was a hobby then, and now so many are only into instant gratification. If we had to wait for the testors, ambroid or even the titebond to set up there would not be as many people flying today....Hmmmmm wait a minute.....I said that like it would be a bad thing...[&:]

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-13-2006, 04:11 AM
Test005

The negative time aspect of wood glue is a bit exagerated IMO.
I build with wood glue and can handle the pieces after 20minutes.
This is not a problem because there's always things to do that take those 20minutes.
If you have problem waiting for something to dry enought to be handled, you can do two diffrent assemblies at one time and work on one while the other dries.

I really don't see that I would build faster with CA, probably make more mistakes due to the instant cure, but not build faster.
Anyhow, this should be enjoyed, not hurried through.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:21 PM
AVGJohn

Try gluing the wings on a Comet Great Lakes Trainer with Ambroid cement and holding all the parts until the glue dries when you're only in the second grade. I think I first started swearing at eight years old. But I've enjoyed model building and swearing so much I've kept at it for another 65 years.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

I have switched from using CA to using Elmer's Carpenter's Glue, so I know exactly what I did when I was on CA. I was always building too fast, getting joints out of alignment, winding up with wood that was impossible to sand because of the CA on it, and a lung full of fumes!! I feel that my building quality has improved since I switched to wood glue and you couldn't get me to go back for any amount of money. I still keep a bit of CA around for things like hardening screw threads cut in the wood and CA hinges on review planes, but otherwise I just don't use it. And, as others have said, if you plan your work you can move along in a project almost as fast as if you were using CA. For me, I'll lay up a section and then while that dries I start preparing the next step. Or on smaller assemblies I will usually build more than one at a time so I can work on one while the glue dries on the another.

As somebody said above, instant gratification is what CA is all about. I do understand that instant gratification is the sign of the times, too many people trying to do too many things. So if you really want to build just as fast as you can then I won't say anything about it, that's your choice. But for me, I'm not in that big of a hurry. I would rather take a little bit more time and make sure that I have it right before the glue is set.

Just my 2 cents worth here.

Ken
Old 11-13-2006, 08:12 PM
buzzard bait

Glover--another Superphatic fan! Too bad the stuff's so d___ expensive. I use it, like you, for special purposes--where something needs the strength of a soaking. It's actually great for fiberglassing center sections. I use Weldbond for almost everything else.

I'm just not neat enough for CA. One drop in the wrong place and you'll never sand it out. The fumes are scarey too.

Jim
Old 11-13-2006, 09:38 PM
andrew66

I used CA for my first build, and that was it. i now use pro bond indoor wood glue (alphatic resin) it doesnt take that long to set up, and requires minimal clamps (just to hold the parts in place). I am afraid of alot of effects that CA has after prolonged exposure, so im eliminating it completely from my shop. now with wood glue, i feel that im a better builder, b/c i can take my time and have a neater glue joint, that sands easily. makes for a nicer frame to stick covering on. no lumps and bumps that are almost impossible to get out.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:43 PM
glover1482

Jim, yes SuperPhatic can be a more expensive option, unless it is compared to odorless CA which costs about the same. Regular CA causes me to have a near-asthmatic attack... not fun. I glue with SuperPhatic, Titebond II, Gorilla, Goop and epoxy. I'm just glad that I have not yet become allergic to epoxy which I use in "high strength" areas like firewalls.

Fly Safe, Glover
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
Daryl_y

I use thin or thick CA for almost all my building. I usually only use tite-bond for gluing harder woods or for balsa pieces that are thicker than .250" (like tail pieces that are made from multiple sheets). The mess most people complain about with CA can easily be reduced or eliminated by using an applicator tip and keeping a small piece of waxed paper handy to wipe up excess glue. I am 30 now and I have been in the hobby since I was 10 so I have been born and raised on CA glue and lack the patience for anything else. I have never had a glue joint fail and my models look better than most.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:56 AM
NEVER-REST

Well heres a subject I can relate to imagine way back when using the old glues and flying free filight with silk and dope laying off for 25 odd years and then re-entering the model building fraternity. I was told all about the great joys of CA except how fast it sets on skin. needless to say I`m sure you can conjure up a picture of stuck together fingers and parts adhered to palms and not knowing that once all stuck together it is not going to come off the plan like in the old days of using butchers paper without first laying down a layer of cling wrap. CA has a lot going for it for tiny bits and difficult areas where those little spouts work wonders but as told I still like the old wood glues for durable strength. I mostly build scale and on the odd ocassion something for fun and out of the ordinary and like to keep my models for a long time and in good shape so up the old glue and also the new Ive learnt to use it now so the grey matter upstairs is not that tainted after all and have been able to master the use of a very fancy radio to fly the models what a great hobby and joyful past time. What ever never stop building its much better than the frustration of nothing to do!!!!!

Cheers for now
Old 11-14-2006, 09:59 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

You can look at using CA another way other than being an instant-gratification thing. You learn to plan ahead, double check things, and then commit to gluing. Sometimes, it works in reverse for me than back in the Ambroid days. I get a lot of parts lined up, sanded just right, fitting just right, and then it's time to glue it all. Besides, there is the heavy CA that doesn't set that fast if something needs refitting.

I use a small fan to blow the fumes away.

You can definately sand CA. Just do it within a few minutes of using. It sands just fine. You can also apply it with a toothpick if you are worried about globbing it all around the wrong places.

We had to learn to use Ambroid, Duco, and wood glues within their limits. Same thing with CA. Epoxy. Probond, etc etc etc
Old 11-15-2006, 01:59 AM
SMUGator

If CA were able to glue any material as quickly and aggressively as it attaches skin to anything it comes into contact with, then it would in fact be a miracle glue. It has given new meaning to "skinning" an airframe.

Tom
Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 PM
F.Imbriaco
My Feedback: (56)

We old time kit builders spent hours relaxing in front of the tube , chewing off dried Ambroid Cement following the workshop session. . At least we couldn't glue our fingers together like with CA.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 AM
GrantK
My Feedback: (15)

I've seen people use CA to close cuts on there hands[:@]. CA must have been desinged for skin.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:15 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: GrantK

I've seen people use CA to close cuts on there hands[:@]. CA must have been desinged for skin.
That is actually one of the uses that was developed for CA. It was used a method to close wounds without the use of sutures.

[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate[/link] has more info on this

Ken
Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: tailskid

We had patience then......
Amen. I recently helped an Explorer Post build four LT-40s at a "tightly regulated" host facility and we could not use CA or Epoxy. I actually prefer aliphatic and PVA (Titebond, Aleen's) glues for most building, but CA does make framing up the wings soooooo much faster. We ended up smuggling the components out to CA the hinges and epoxy/glass tape the wing saddles and diluted for fuelproofing the firewall. Wish I had weighed the finished models. One group used two full 8 oz. bottles of Titebond and another used less than a third of one bottle.

How did we survive before CA? I still have 10,000 "T" pins from the old days of Elmer's and open stringer frames. And a stack of builder"s squares to hold the ribs while they dry.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

You mean there was a time when CA didn't exist? [X(] I couldn't survive without the stuff. It's all I use for framing. I build most of my framing with thin CA and only use epoxy on the high stress areas. Can't imagine waiting 20 minutes for a part to dry before I could handle it.

Yes, I do too have patience. I build kits in a world dominated by ARFs and RTFs don't I? I just don't have the desire to sit and watch glue dry. Thats about as exciting as watching grass grow or watching paint dry. I build on a jig whenever I can. I get all my parts set and make sure it's all lined up and straight. Then I whip out a 2oz bottle of thin CA and go nuts. I'm usually done with the glue bottle in 20 minutes or less. Little drop here--couple drops there--whallaahh!! a wing is born