Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tail Wheel Assy

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tail Wheel Assy

Old 12-18-2006, 12:39 PM
fstevenj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail Wheel Assy

I have a Great planes ultra sport 40 plus and I am about to attach the rudder. I am kind of unclear on how to attach the provided tail wheel assembly from great planes. I assume I have to glue both the rod part and the hinge looking part. Do most people use epoxy to glue both the rod and hinge part. I'm thinking I need to glue the rod side into the rudder first, and then glue the hinge into the fuselage when I install the other CA hinges. Does that sound correct? Also I know I should glue the bent rod into the rudder, but should I also glue some of the rod below the hinge looking part? I know I can't get any glue between the hinge part and the rod. Thanks.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Tail Wheel Assy

Steve,
Yes, you are exactly correct. Glue the rod into the rudder side first. You will install the other side when you attach all the CA hinges for the rudder. And no, there should be no glue below the "hinge" part of the tailwheel.

Ken
Old 12-18-2006, 09:47 PM
fstevenj

Thanks Ken,
Should I use epoxy, or something like gorilla glue
Old 12-18-2006, 10:07 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Use epoxy. I prefer to stay away from Gorilla Glue for things like this because it expands. If you don't have your parts properly secured the expansion can push your parts out of place, and then when it hardens they are stuck out of place.

Let me ask this. Have you considered using an aftermarket tailwheel?? I use Sullivan tailwheels on most of my planes. I do this because I don't like the standard tailwheel setup on most planes. The tailwheel being steered directly by the rudder puts a lot of stress on the wood of the rudder, and eventually will break through the rudder. Using a Sullivan tailwheel has the tailwheel being steered by a spring connected to the rudder. The spring absorbs any stress or pressure and protects the rudder. Take a look at the picture of my Ultra Sport 40+ and you can see a Sullivan installed. If you can it's well worth the time and money to put one on. Just something to think about.

Hope this helps

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29947.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	579829   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23082.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	579830  
Old 12-18-2006, 10:25 PM
fstevenj

I've got a sullivan on my 4* and I thought I'd try the stock one on the ultra sport. I don't like all the pressure on the rudder also, but I was thinking that it would cause more problems with the CA hinges than the actual rudder wood. Any way I thought I would try it and if it fails I'll go to the sullivan. Thanks for the advise though.

I've probably asked you this before, but with your inverted engine did you relocate the fuel tank or is it in the stock position. My carburator (OS 70) is pretty far below the tank and I seen some posts that address this and I am a little concerned.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

The engine on that Ultra Sport isn't inverted, but rather on it's side. But anyway, no I didn't relocate the tank. There's not a whole bunch of room inside the fuselage to move the tank around anyway.

Ken